Hamstring pain

davecooper
davecooper Posts: 290
edited October 2012 in Road general
The two things I have suffered over the past 10 years or so is both saddle soreness and pain at the back of the knee (outside) which slightly extends upward toward the thigh. After numerous saddle changes, I got one that seemed better than most for me and recently. In the past, the saddle soreness had always been worse than the knee pain so I was always trying to adjust to eliminate this. Now (I hope) I am on top of the saddle soreness issue, I would like to try and eliminate the leg pain. I have read in the past that a lower saddle height can take pressure off the hamstrings. However, I am as low as I really want to go now without causing other problems. I can delay the onset of the pain by riding the first mile or two at a high cadence but I can never eliminate it. Off the bike I have no problems at all (running etc). Is this a riding position problem.

Comments

• t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Ever stretch?
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Back of knee sounds like saddle too high.

If you're getting a lot of problems then get a professional bike fit done.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Whereabouts on the hamstring are you experiencing discomfort? If it's generally along the length, then try doing more stretching. If it's at the top, then you're probably pulling too hard on the pedals on the upstroke. If behind the knee, then check your saddle height. As suggested, a bike fit from an expert practitioner will probably identify your problem.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Whereabouts on the hamstring are you experiencing discomfort? If it's generally along the length, then try doing more stretching. If it's at the top, then you're probably pulling too hard on the pedals on the upstroke. If behind the knee, then check your saddle height. As suggested, a bike fit from an expert practitioner will probably identify your problem.

Nail, head, hit.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • I am going to start lowering the saddle in small stages to see if the pain eventually dissapears. Even if this feels too low for me, it will at least tell me one thing.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    you could raise the bars rather than lowering the seat. A slightly more upright back might ease the tension in the upper legs.