29er compared to regular MTB

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Forgive me if this has been asked before but what are the "pro's & con's" of the two. I've always had a 26" wheel but I'm considering buying a 29er and wandered what the major difference between the two are?
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    This any good?
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/artic ... 9er-28684/
    Seems to be a bit biased towards the pros rather than the cons.

A friend of mine has a 29er and has trouble riding in ruts because the bigger diameter wheel clips the sides easier when turning.
    I've also heard stories of 29 wheels buckling every other ride on trail centre stuff, but that could just be the wheel or maybe the technology isn't quite there yet, I don't know.

Best thing to do is to see if you can have a go. I tried someone's 29er and it felt better than my bike but I think that was just because it was a brand new bike and was well set up. The handling didn't seem any better but I was only trying it up and down a fireroad.
  • Thanks for the link fella, it looks pretty much like you pays your money and make your choice.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Thanks for the link fella, it looks pretty much like you pays your money and make your choice.

Bingo.

One persons perceived positive could well result in a negative for someone else. I'd not rule out any bike, irrespective of wheel size, until I'd had a chance to test it out.

For some people, 29ers will work perfectly for their uses, for others, they wont. Try some out and see
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    what are the "pro's

none
    & con's"

none
    wandered what the major difference between the two are?

none

HTH
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I rode a couple of 29ers at the demo event at the cycle show, the course is only 1K long and fairly technical however it did for me reinforce the alleged pro's and cons, pro being they roll faster, it was fairly noticeable, cons being they really don't feel comfy in tight corners, even the Trek Superfly Elite I tried which is about as high up the foodchain as you can get off the peg, even a Spesh Hardrock (which felt horrid everywhere else) felt more nimble and both were blown into the weeds by the Pivot Mach4.

One pro I couldn't really asses was that you get a traction benefit with a 29er and thus can run a less aggresive (so faster rolling and lighter (still heavier than a 26er) tyre than you could get away with on a 26er.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    I've also heard stories of 29 wheels buckling every other ride on trail centre stuff

I heard people believed the world was flat too once...
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • I've just sold my (medium)AnthemX 26er for a 2013 AnthemX 29er(med also)... So I am a 29er convert! :)

Differences are....ok so the wheels are heavier...that goes without saying really, esp. as I had an American Classic wheelset on the 26er.... though I am awaiting a set of Crests on Hope hubs with Racing Ralph evo tyres so that will take some of the extra weight off the 29er.

One major difference is the traction/grip of the 29er, it smooths out rocky/rooty inclines with ease, whereas with the 26 I would have to move around on the bike more to keep the traction down...

Feels much smoother traversing rooty/off-camber single track as well, and i don't feel like I'm on a edge of tyre grip all the time...the bigger wheels definetly carry more speed on the descents and i feel like i'm at a better angle heading down rooty/rocky sections..

Of course it will not suit everyone, and certainly won't make you a better rider, but if you are considering selling your 26er or purchasing a new bike then I can certainly recommend a 29er!
  • lastwords
    lastwords Posts: 304
    When i went to a 29er (rockrider nothing fancy but then again the bike before was a cheap RR aswell) I noticed a difference riding round i would think ooh that was quicker or smoother but then there were times where i had to look down thinking i had a rear tire flat, i think this is when i lose to much momentum and its harder to get going than the previous bike.

However ive have had it for a while now and it just feels like a bike. you get used to it and it feels normal.

One thing i can do is cover more ground at a faster pace with this bike before i start to get fatigued but only if the route i take consists of a lot of non technical terrain, once it gets technical its all the same really.
  • 4ndyW
    4ndyW Posts: 68
    I took a 29er out last weekend for a few hours ride, tried to cover as much varied ground as i could and found that...

1. Yes they cover ground very quickly as long as you can keep the momentum going.

2. very good traction and hill climbing. Got some pretty steep loose climbs around me and where i would have to work hard and concentrate on my 26" the 29er made it feel easy, was running a Ralph on the back.

3. Found it feeling odd when riding technical turns and gullies. This could be one of many things tho, wider bars than i am used to, just being a 29er or just something that needs adapting to....

4. Would be my personal goal to get the front end low to try and get a nice XC feel back and also put a little more weight over the front as i found that the front wheel felt like it could wash out on corners a few times. Heard this from other people too and changing the wight distribution helps alot apparently.

5. After being doubtful of 29er's i think i would get one now if i could find the right one, XC orientated, could make those wheels as light as possible and get the front end down nice and low.

There hope that helps in any way. :lol:
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Main difference is that they have bigger wheels & the bike industry keep harping on about them!

Regarding wheel size though, consider BMXs or even a Cannondale Hooligan - the same pros & cons apply if you compare them to a 26er.

I think a 26er is good compromise size wise, better value and more fun when compared to a 29er. I also thing rider height has something to do with it.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Refreshingly sensible, considered and informative replies on this topic, well done to all concerned. I was a 29er sceptic and asked my LBS for a Giant Anthem 26er. They told me to go away and try both first. I did so and found the 29er faster using less effort, it cornered better and built confidence. Perhaps I am just lucky but everyone I know who used to ride 26ers (racing and fun stuff) who have tried 29ers now own them and do not ride their 26ers. My riding and theirs is pretty much exclusively XC, other disciplines may give different results. Naturally the bigger wheel rides over bumpy stuff more easily and I find it climbs a hell of a lot better than a 26er and accelerates downhill ludicrously quickly.

As to tight corners my cornering is just as average on both bikes but it is improving quicker on the 29er quicker than it ever was on the 26er. I still ride the 26er but only with other 26er riders on a social ride, as otherwise I would be riding alone a long way in front.

Best way to compare two things is to test them in the environment in which you intend to use them.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    passout wrote:
    I also thing rider height has something to do with it.

If you are a dwarf maybe
    As to tight corners my cornering is just as average on both bikes but it is improving quicker on the 29er quicker than it ever was on the 26er

From my experience on them I found cornering in general gets better & better, took me a little while to 'trust' how far I could push the front end.
    Best way to compare two things is to test them in the environment in which you intend to use them.

The best advice
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer