£400 - £500 bike, but not from Halfords?

stiscooby
stiscooby Posts: 139
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
My bike was stolen this week (was a mongoose tyax elite) So currently in the process of going through insurance to replace it.

Now, I have already posted a message on here Asking about a voodoo buntu as that's the "equivalent replacement" they have initially come up with, which according to most on here it would be a fair replacement or if I could talk them into it/pay a bit more on top, the voodoo hoodoo would be even better....... But.....

I went into Halfords today where they had a buntu on display and I wasn't that taken by it really (no hoodoo in there), may have not helped that it stood next to a boardman comp which looked much nicer/better quality but was £649, plus the fact I'm not too keen on getting a bike from Halfords anyway as most times I have been into my local store there are always people in there moaning about issues with their new bikes (thing not put together properly etc).

So, what other bikes would be worth looking at in the £400 -£500 price range with equivalent spec or better than my old bike but excluding anything from Halfords?

For the spec is it worth the risk shopping in Halfords for a hoodoo?

Comments