SPD shoe choice?

Newfish
Newfish Posts: 121
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hello wise people,

Please could someone give me some advice. I have had my purple/green & black Agu spd shoes for 15 years and loved them, even the awesome colour scheme, today the soles fell off! :D so I am after some replacements.

I ride a mix of road and blue/red trails so the need to good in muddy conditions.
Velcro straps. (Not actually sure if there is a different option)
Shoe not a boot. I like the look of the Shimano M087G, sorry cant post a link, bloody iPad keeps reloading this page and deleting my post.

Can anyone recommend two or three options as there is so much choice I don't know where to start?

Thank you.
Cheers,
Simon.

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    The m078 is a great shoe for the money, the model down (without the ratchet) i have for my commute and summer use, and I rate them too. The ratchet is nice to have, but not necessary I would say, I have them on both my off road shoes. I also have a set of XC50s - but I have to say they are best for winter, as they are pretty wide and fairly waterproof - good for think socks and wet weather!

For £50 its a great deal on the 87s from CRC, but you may find better. Only thing is if you have wide feet go for the XC range.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Newfish
    Hi Ben, thanks for the reply. I presume you mean 087 not 078. Since there's been such a massive response the desicion is very hard, might go for the m087 though. :D
    Cheers,
    Simon.
    As above if you have wide feet get a pair that do wide sizes which i think the 087 do , ive got the m077 s and i cant wear them for commuting anymore as they cripple my feet too tight plus they come in small get a size bigger.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I was advised to go at least half if not one size larger with all Shimano shoes as they are narrow. I went one size up with a pair of MO77's and they are a perfect fit.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Newfish wrote:
    Hi Ben, thanks for the reply. I presume you mean 087 not 078. Since there's been such a massive response the desicion is very hard, might go for the m087 though. :D

Yeah, I meant the 87, not 78.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Newfish
    Thanks guys. Going to drop into my LBS tonight and see what they do, then perhaps order online.
    Cheers,
    Simon.
    Whichever Specialized fits your budget, the BG Sport being the obvious one.