V brake saga

mac1000
mac1000 Posts: 4
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
For the past year I have been trying to get my old kona bike running smoothly. I have never been happy with how my rear brake works as it either;

1- is so slack it hardly works and doesn't rub but, sometimes it won't spring back,
2- or rubs slightly and doesn't spring back properly

Am I being too particular? Is it ok for the rear brake to rub a bit whilst cycling?

I have tried adjusting the screws to help the brake spring back but can't seem to get it right, I have even attempted truing the wheel to keep it running straight but still have the same problems. Also I can't see any spring on the rear brakes but I know they are new as 4 weeks ago I paid a bike mechanic £180 to put on new tires, brakes, grips, cassette etc.

Any advice would be a great help, I have watched loads of videos on the subject and read up on it all but wonder if I just lack the experiences to fine tune it.

Cheers!
Mac

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what brakes?

pics if you dont know.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • They're V brakes, is that enough info or would you need a pic?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Post a pic - of the side that should have the springs.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    mac1000 wrote:
    They're V brakes, is that enough info or would you need a pic?
    well it depends on if the are just crap ones or very crap ones.

if you cant the read parktools and you might be able to workout what is going on.

with the info you have provided i would say take them back to the shop as they seem to have missed fitting the spring.

not come across a V brake without a spring yet.

so how are we to guess what might be wrong with your brakes?

there is very little to adjust and you cant seem to do it you have tried what would normally be suggested.

So again Pics or find a person who can set them up for you or ID if there is anything missing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks for the feedback guys, i'll post a pic :D