The Perfect Toastie.....

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
Every now and again I rediscover the magic that is the toasted sandwich.

So much more than the sum of its parts it's a little bit of lunchtime bliss.

What's your favourite toastie?

How do you make it? 2 slice of normal toast made into a sandwich, a Breville or similar or on a George Formby Grill?

ETA - And what bread do you use.....I'm thinking plastic white sliced is essential for this but I'm open to debate.

Mind the hot cheese....
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Mature cheddar and onion on sliced bread, buttered on the outside, and made in a breville thingy.

*drools*
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    edited October 2012
    Long, long time ago but I was shown a different way to do one which was superb.

Melt butter in frying pad and put an uncooked white bread toasty in. By the time both sides are toasted the cheese has melted and that buttery toast is very, very nice. :P

Must use butter, not marg and you can jazz up the filling to your taste.

Edit:- It was a while ago so I can't remember if it was grated or sliced cheese. I imagine that a thick slab may not melt properly. Or maybe it will. Must experiment....
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • My machine of choice is a brevvile-styled cut and seal sandwich toaster by Boots, possibly of 80's vintage. Bread is usually seeded, the hovis one with pumpkin seeds is nice. I find it adds to the texture well.

Filling is based around ham and cheese, as all toasies should be. My favourite is a good mature chedder, a little wafer thin smoked ham and then some peperoni.

Technique is also important - Lightly buttered ont he outside to avoid sticking and aid the crunch. cheese should be sliced not grated, gives a more even melt. The ham should be roughly torn to avoid pulling a slice out whilst consuming resulting in molten cheese burns to the chin.

Right, i know what i'm having for lunch after my ride tomorrow.
    AKA Captain Blackbeard
    Going Top to Bottom - E2E for Everyman and Headway - Spet 2013
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    seeded bread (buttered on the outside), chilli flaked cheese, spring onion and ham, done in one of toastie machines.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • This may be considered heresy, (if so, can I be toasted at the stake?) my weapon of choice is the George Foreman Grill thing. No faffing about with butter on the outside and no funny triangular shaped sarnies.

Cheddar and Branston for me, simple tastes.
    'fool'
  • When I was a student, the holy grail was making a toasted sandwich with a cooked egg inside. Very difficult, one attempt in three is successful - ie the yolk not split by the centre crease of the sandwich, cooked properly.

But when you get it right, the cheese and egg (and ideally ham) are a joy.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Well, cheese and decent ham (not that wafer-thin slice of misery; it's barely a memory of a pig ffs) clearly. Quite like tomato in mine too, though they're tricksy little beasts. They have a knack for getting hotter than superheated steam, and somehow sticking to your lip, searing their way into your skull.
    Little bit of mustard's always a bonus too.

While we're there or thereabouts, what about fried eggy-bread sandwiches? Make them like you're going to make a toastie, but coat the whole thing in lightly-beaten egg, then fry the thing. You get that little marvel right and suddenly being drunk at 1am on a school night is both big and clever.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    davis wrote:
    ....While we're there or thereabouts, what about fried eggy-bread sandwiches? Make them like you're going to make a toastie, but coat the whole thing in lightly-beaten egg, then fry the thing. You get that little marvel right and suddenly being drunk at 1am on a school night is both big and clever.
    That works. Not a toastie per-say but a more than viable alternative.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    My weapon of choice is the oven. Two slices of thick white bread, marg or butter (though personal preference is butter), mature cheddar sliced reasonably thick. wrap in foil (shiny side in) and place on a baking tray in the centre of the oven. 160deg for 14 minutes, turning once should do it.

I imagine you could use other fillings but I have no imagination.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Reminds me of that rabbit that hopped into my local the other day. After perusing the menu, he eventually plumped for a pint of best and a cheese toastie. The landlord thought this a bit odd, but since he had the right money was happy to serve him. Every day for the next fortnight that little bunny hopped into the pub for a pint and a cheese toastie until a week last Thursday when the landlord explained they had run out of cheese, and could only offer a ham toastie. At the time the rabbit seemed quite happy with this substitute, but strangely he failed to appear at the pub again for over a week. He was however back in as usual last night looking rather less bright eyed and fluffy tailed than usual. I asked him where he'd been and he told me he'd had rather a bad case of 'mixing my toasties' :roll:

IGMC
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    grated cheese and egg
  • Does anyone know of a Breville type toastie maker that does NOT cut it into two little triangles? I love a toastie every now and the convenience of using the maker is great. But I hate having my toastie unnecessarily squashed in the middle!
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    spasypaddy wrote:
    baked beans and cheese!

35u4h9.jpg
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i have yet to tame the beast of the legendary toastie

the cheese has the consistence (an heat) of napalm an will stick to anything an burn

ive heard of some people putting ketchup inside their toastie only for it to errupt all over their face when they chow down

they should be banned

i want a toastie now
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • That 50/50 bread that's neither white nor brown, buttered on the outside.

Tomato puree from a tube, thinly smeared on one slice. Cheese - cheddar, or gruyère or mozzarella if you're fancy. Parma ham or chorizo. A sprinkling of dried chillies.

Whack it on the sandwich maker.

Pizza in a toastie. Now that's what I call living.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • memsley89
    memsley89 Posts: 247
    There's a few pages of toasties in Jamie's new '15 minute meals' book...
    Including one with an egg, which looked INCREDIBLE!
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    mature cheddar, wholegrain mustard and a dash of worcester sauce.

Too much washing up with toastie machines. I use a Dualit toaster which has the sandwich cages, butter on inside only.

Also doff hat to the eggy bread fried sandwiches above - marmite makes a great filling for them.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    pangolin wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    baked beans and cheese!

35u4h9.jpg
    try it. you'll be amazed
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Doesn't a Breville or similar technically make fried bread sandwiches rather than toasted ones?

So long as you have either egg or cheese in your toastie you can't really go wrong
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    This is making me hungry so ... Who's nicked my toastie-maker? :wink:

I had a tatty old green one which got slung, but I'm sure I got a white one for Christmas a few years back and I can't think where it is!

I'm off downstairs to poke around in the kitchen cupboards to see if I can unearth it!
  • Sliced cheese on reverse buttered bread with chopped ham and/or finely sliced onion. Worcester sauce as applicable.

I put in as it warms up - find it does a better job melting the cheese
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    Tried Ham and Egg today.

Nomnomnomnomnom!

Made it on the George Formby (with a roll of tin foil underneath to level it)

Lovely.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!