Buying at Christmas

odelay1
odelay1 Posts: 20
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking at purchasing a hardtail mountain bike. I've had a good look online. My next step is to test a few out at a few shops.

I'm not in a major hurry to buy straight away, so I'm just seeing whether there are usually good deals on just after Christmas in the sales? I know there are discounts now as new bikes get released but just enquiring if anyone knows if really good offers happened in previous Christmas'?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    No deals at Christmas, it's all the new models by then as you say. Now is the best time if you can find what you're after.
  • To be honest, there are deals on pretty much all year round on bike stuff. Keep an eye on places like CRC and Merlin, On-one etc. They've almost always got a deal of some description going on.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Yep, always good deals around - just gotta keep on the look out and have the £$€ ready if you see a bargain
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Can sometimes find some random steals in LBS's too! When they need to shift gear to bring in new stuff, they can drop prices loads!

Looking forward to my LBS getting new kit in, everything 'old' is going at 20-30% off!
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,164
    Ready to be flamed here -

Halfords usually do a big discount very close to xmas (usualy Dec 26th - 30th Jan etc.).

I managed to get something like 10% off plus 5% on line order discount (collect in local store) the year before last on a Boardman Pro HT. There was a bit of a hitch (ie they ended up selling me the display model because there weren't actually any left anywhere apparently) but they threw in crudcatchers & spare inner tubes. For £850 it is an excellent bike with very good spec.

Downside is no test rides.
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    I don't think that 10% with a further 5% is all that hot - I got 10% off just for asking. I'd expect even more off a display model in a sale!
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • CRC usually do big discounts on this years model from now to xmas ie the 2012's.
  • odelay1
    odelay1 Posts: 20
    Thanks all for the responses.

What shop is LBS? When I put LBS into google I get no shops.

I will test out the 2-3 bikes I like and then if happy just purchase. One online shop offering over £120 off.

Just checking to see if mega deals are on over Christmas!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    LBS = local bike shop.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    The way things are looking on spec, a discounted 2013 model wouldn't be as good as a 2012 model. IIRC September/October is the best time to get a deal.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500