Winter gear for newbie

Kingsmill1
Kingsmill1 Posts: 103
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
I'm quite new to this cycling lark and have only seriously got into it at the beginning of the summer I've only got summer gear at the moment and purchased some of summer 2012 stock from both wiggle and probikekit I'm only planning riding in the winter at the weekends when the weather is nice so wondering should I bother getting a whole load of winter gear.
This is what I've managed to acquire during the autumn
3 bib shorts 2 short sleeved tops one long sleeved one altura jacket arm warmers and leg warmers and some winter gloves.

I do try layering but usually find at the moment I'm putting on to many layers and coming home drenched I've taken the decision to avoid tights as I would want to have bib shorts for the spring summer ( when it comes back )

Any advice would be welcome I'm currently doing 9-10 miles 4-5 times a week I hope to try and maintain my fitness over the winter and then start doing longer distances once the spring is back
Giant TCR Comp 2
Specialized Allez Sport

Comments

• It sounds like you've got plenty to keep you warm enough but you're missing a decent base layer to keep you dry from sweat. I always wear a Sportful vest or tee then adjust outer layers depending on conditions ... for super cold days you could go for a proper merino layer to keep the chills out.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Get some Planet-X neoprene overshoes and a Sealskinz helmet liner (which also cover your ears and the back of your neck).
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Main things for me through the winter are...

Bare skin = not good. Get covered up and sheltered from icy cold winds.
    Hands and feet like to be warm and dry.
    Most of your head will still be exposed...a buff comes in handy.

In my experience, you don't actually need a lot to stay warm in the winter. People always assume cycling in the elements to be cold, but generally once you get going you're nice and toasty. A few very simple things in the right places do the job.
  • You'll get cold from wind chill and getting wet and you'll feel it in your extremities, so get something windproof (like a winter jersey, gilet or jacket), something next to your skin that wicks well (I just use my short sleeve jersey, but a base layer is designed for the job), and things to keep your head, hands and feet warm. Cap for the head (Buffs aren't as good but they aren't bad around the neck), a pair of fleece gloves over your mitts, and some overshoes (which I have never succumbed to as yet).

Once you have those things you should be fine. Pedalling will help with keeping warm! Until now I too resisted tights, but I recently succumbed and bought a pair of DHB Roubaix unpadded tights as Wiggle were selling them off. I don't tend to feel the cold that much in my legs, but being cold won't do anything good for you. (you'll never see the pros wearing shorts in autumn!).
  • I'm at a loss as to what to get. Only in my 3rd month of cycling I've got 1 ss Altura Team shirt, ergofit ss shirt. 2 pairs of padded shorts 1 of which are a bib dhb aeron. I do not know if the Autumn wear range will be replaced by winter range soon, if so I'll wait as money is tight.

Any advice would also be good.
    Don't call me sir I work for a living
  • I've got a gore cap and ordered a Dbh vaeon roubaix long sleeved jersey from wiggle, sun was shining today 14 degrees found a Nike pro combat t shirt tucked away in my draw great base layer , wore a altura long sleeved top and some arm warmers today and it was a bit brisk at the start but after 8 miles things warmed up nicely.

Not keen on the rain when it comes probably go for a short run as I don't want to put mud guards on my bike.
    Giant TCR Comp 2
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Kingsmill1 wrote:
    I don't want to put mud guards on my bike.

Why?
  • Sound similar to me, only started back this year.

Set out at 9am this morning with the temp still at minus 3. Had a long bib on and a DHB Windslam Blade Jersey
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-windslam-bl ... ve-jersey/

It was like toast, no need for a base layer and offered great protection from the breeze. I dare say that if the forecast was for it to be sub 5 degrees all day a thin base layer underneath might have been useful.
  • I think mudguards spoil the look of the bike and add unucecssary weight personal choice
    Giant TCR Comp 2
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    +1 for the skull cap, you look a bit like a ninja turtle in one, so keep your helmet on
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • Kingsmill1 wrote:
    I think mudguards spoil the look of the bike and add unucecssary weight personal choice

An undetectable difference in weight (whether you're aware of it or not), and lack of consideration for other road users. No-one will want to ride with you, for a start!

But if you want yer bike to look pretty, take yer great big ugly self off it and never ride it. I've heard that there are some excellent glass display cases available to show off your pride and joy! :lol:
  • Autumn clothes + thermal underwear = winter clothes.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Kingsmill1 wrote:
    I think mudguards spoil the look of the bike and add unucecssary weight personal choice
    Well, OK, but personally if I have to choose between washing the muck and cow sh*t out of my jersey, or cleaning it out of the mudguards..... You can guess which one I prefer, I will be getting a set of guards very soon, even if they only stay on over the winter. :)
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Mikey41 wrote:
    Kingsmill1 wrote:
    Well, OK, but personally if I have to choose between washing the muck and cow sh*t out of my jersey, or cleaning it out of the mudguards..... You can guess which one I prefer, I will be getting a set of guards very soon, even if they only stay on over the winter. :)

Bingo; you don't even have to leave them on! The coverage with Cruds (which I haven't used) doesn't look as good as SKS, but definitely better than nothing!
  • God I only said I don't like mudguards I'm fortunate I have two bikes one for commuting , one road bike which as I spent a lot of my cash on would prefer for the moment to keep the wet, road salt off etc and hopefully it will see me through a few years of mileage without rusting away. My commuting bike is a race/hybrid not fussed what happens to it didn't spend the earth on it I clean when it gets wet and don't worry to much about the back of my jersey as I tend to wear a day glow jacket over the top which just get put in the wash. I've never had mudguards on my bikes and unless someone could suggest a disgrete set which are easy to fit then I won't bother , I ride for my own pleasure when I can find the time but average about 40-50 miles per week just to keep fit.
    Giant TCR Comp 2
    Specialized Allez Sport