Quick question

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited October 2012 in MTB general
hi does anybody know if you can walk into one of these big corporate companies like decathlon or halfords and walk out with any decent discount or freebies when spending quite a few quid on a bike ? Ive walked out of currys with a good discount for cash on a laptop but has anyone had any experiences with these two companies ?

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Halfords yes, not sure about decathlon.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Andy205
    Andy205 Posts: 16
    Halford's yes
  • Anonymous
    What sort of discount are you talking about lads ?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Get some compromising pics of the manager and 100%.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • chazkayak
    chazkayak Posts: 193
    I always ask for "squaddie discount" when making big purchases, usually works. Halfords didnt used to do squaddie discount but the girl on the gave me student discount instead. If shops say no, ask to speak to the manager, they usually have the ability to give discount even if not entitled.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    jimmy182 wrote:
    big corporate companies like decathlon or halfords

Blimey. What do you call BP, Apple and Ford?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    jimmy182 wrote:
    big corporate companies like decathlon or halfords

Blimey. What do you call BP, Apple and Ford?
    The Man, man.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    jimmy182 wrote:
    What sort of discount are you talking about lads ?

Depends on shop, staff and what kind of day they're having. Just because one person has had discount doesn't mean everybody gets discount when asked.

Tip, ask once. If you ask more than that they'll think you're a dick.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Tip, ask once. If you ask more than that they'll think you're a dick.

This. And don't talk like you expect it/are entitled to it. That also marks you as a bit of a penis and I used to enjoy not budging on the price!
  • bloghog
    bloghog Posts: 40
    I have known Halfords throw in a few extras when buying one of their premium range of bikes, not sure about Decathalon.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Haggling isn't illegal, it's just not often practiced in this country. In other words, you don't ask - you don't get.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Decathlon have awseome value bikes in the first place for the cash, but costs nothing to ask for stuff thrown in :-)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For Halfords, always go towards the end of the month, if they are just below target it's worth them knocking a bit more off to hit targets, so along the lines of "If you can knock X off I'll get it now, otherwise I'll have to wait a week" can work well.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Ask politely and try to phrase it in a way that doesn't invite a negative response.

I've got discount in halfords but not decathlon, however the workshop staff will often do the odd extra job for free at my local store
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Decathlon is French. How dare you undervalue their artisan credentials by suggesting such a thing.

No really, I doubt you'd get much discount BUT the do have awesome sales so you could wait for this.

I had a nightmare having ordered wheels from their online disaster of a website and setup.

Srill one of my favourite shops. Visit every Decathlon going when in France a couple times a year. Fantastic bikes for price.
  • Anonymous
    Thanks but like I said in another thread I've gone for the radon 7.0 mega value for money IMO