Mudguards preserve bike?

bluedoggy
bluedoggy Posts: 285
edited October 2012 in Road general
Will mudguards help to preserve my bike over the winter? I can only afford one bike(the misses) I religiously clean my bike after a wet ride. Will adding flaps help? My bike is a Wilier Iiozord with Cosmic wheels and many upgrades. Am I doing the right thing?
Wilier cento uno.

Comments

• declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    As far as I'm aware, carbon melts when in contact with water. I don't know how your bike has lasted this long, but I don't think it will last much longer, even with mud-guards.

On a serious note, mudguards will help, but they can't protect the derailleurs or other important components from salt and grit etc.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • bluedoggy
    bluedoggy Posts: 285
    declan1 wrote:
    As far as I'm aware, carbon melts when in contact with water. I don't know how your bike has lasted this long, but I don't think it will last much longer, even with mud-guards.

On a serious note, mudguards will help, but they can't protect the derailleurs or other important components from salt and grit etc.

Melt??? Really?
    Wilier cento uno.
  • Bluedoggy wrote:
    declan1 wrote:

Melt??? Really?
    OH Yeah! Haven't you heard of hydrocarbons? They're carbon that's melted in water. Hydro=water...carbon = carbon. It's obvious
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392
    Oh dear. :lol:
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    get me a taxi

im not riding this home now !!!!!!
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • Bluedoggy wrote:
    Will mudguards help to preserve my bike over the winter?

To some extent, but the main benefits are a drier bum and feet.
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    "I've found a way to save money on my cycling dear"
    "Oh yes, that would be good"
    "If I get a proper winter bike I won't have to replace expensive kit, like my wheels, after every winter. It will save loads"

Always worked for me!
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    declan1 wrote:

Actually they can protect your drivetrain quite well if you have full length guards; that is one if the great and well known things about mudguards - they protect your bike
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    edited October 2012
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    Actually they can protect your drivetrain quite well if you have full length guards; that is one if the great and well known things about mudguards - they protect your bike

+10. IMO they are every bit as much about protecting the bike than keeping you dry. One winter I ran my old Dawes tourer without the mudguards. The spray washed the grease out of the rear hubs. After that I had to regularly regrease them. I commute on a Ribble with Cruds. Much of the frame is white. With guards on, after a wet trip, there is generally muck on the forks and chain stay which is down to spray from the rims when you brake, and a bit on the down tube and a bit on the chain stays. I rarely have to clean much else of the bike - both mechs and the cogs take a long time to get properly dirty. The front guards are particularly important as they are the ones that stop the continuous dirty jet washing of the components.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Rolf F wrote:
    Hoopdriver wrote:

I suppose I'm used to clip-on guards for my MTB. They don't protect anything...

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Mudguards regardless of length won't prevent you from getting a really filthy drivetrain IME - if there's a load of muck and dirt on the road, there's nothing you can do to stop getting it on the bike as it gets washed up the inside the guards and runs down over the wheels. If you want to stop wearing out your drivetrain rided fixed / singlespeed.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    They'll keep you drier and winter cycling will be more enjoyable. A lot of the time it's not raining but you're cycling on a wet road, they really come into their own then. You also won't be spraying any one behind you.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    declan1 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Hoopdriver wrote:

I suppose I'm used to clip-on guards for my MTB. They don't protect anything...
    Hey! hang on! You have seriously misquoted me! I never said anything like the statement you have attributed to me, nor have I ever even thought such a thing. Far from it. If you look at my post you will see that I am very much if the opinion that mudguards DO protec your bike. Would you mind terribly much fixing this misquote, and attributing that statement to the poster who actually made it?
  • mabbo
    mabbo Posts: 117
    Mudguardds do work.

I have a Defy 1 that I run through the winter. Fitted Mr Crud MK2's. They have an extension that gives some protection to the chainwheel and front deraillieur. I found that once on the chain needed less cleaning than the previous winter when I ran without. And of course they keep the rest of you dry, including keeping some of the spray off your feet.
    Other bonus is they are light, easy to fit and almost invisible against the wheels. Done over a 1000 miles with this set and no complaints yet.

Give em a try.