200mm avid rotors on front AND back!?

tmsjns
tmsjns Posts: 54
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Right i want to get some bigger rotors for my avid brakes but i cant find mounts to put 200mm on the back wheel!? Is there any about? Do people normally have 180 on the front and 200 on the back? or do the front mounts fit the backtoo? I ony ask because the mounts say 200 front/180 rear?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They can be got - but hardly anyone uses 200 on the back as it makes them over sensitive and hard to control.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The mounts say that because using stock IS mounts gives you 160mm front, 140mm rear, so a plus 40 mount goes to 200 front 180 rear.

No-one in their right mind runs 180 front 200 rear.

Putting 200's on the rear is overkill on anything but a DH bike, you'll just keep locking the wheel, but yes, you can get mounts.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • tmsjns
    Ok I got the mounts anyway, Planning on trying 200 front and 200 back but i have 180's spare so I can always go back to 180 on rear. Wish me luck

Just a thought though, wouldnt the back need more power to compensate for the extra weight on the rear wheel?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The other way round - the front is much harder to lock up because as you brake your weight is transferred to the front wheel.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    is it a DH bike? and you like going slowly?

200 180 is fine for most DH bikes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • tmsjns
    i hadnt thought i that! When you brake the weight is transfered to the front wheel, Seems obvious now!

Its a trail bike i like going quick but I also like to be able to slow down when I want to! Im goin to try 200front and 180 back when the mounts arrive.
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    No harm in running a 200 on the rear. The only problem might be the disc clearing the frame.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Dave_P1 wrote:
    No harm in running a 200 on the rear. The only problem might be the disc clearing the frame.

or locking it up all the time.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    180/180 should be fine for XC. I had an xc bike that has a 200 front as stock and it was too instant to modulate properly.
  • my xc bike run 185/185 avid rotors with elixir R breaks, good breaking power and does the job for me
  • 160 both ends on the RL.
    200 both ends on the Canyon.

The Shimano m596 brakes on my RL are miles better than the Elixir R's on the Canyon.

In fact, I'd go as far as saying that the Shimano M596 brakes are one of the best i've ever used.
  • tmsjns
    im running 180 front and back on elixir 7's and they are good but I fancy trying 200's
    I do really like my elixirs but only done around 30 miles in coed y brennin with them so still getting used to them!
  • so get used to them before changing them!

can your frame even take a 200mm rear rotor?
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    nicklouse wrote:
    Dave_P1 wrote:

Only if you have crap brakes/don't know how to use them.
    I run 203/203 on the downhill bike and 203/180 on the AM bike (used to be 203/203 as well) and have had no issues with locking up the back wheel when I don't want to (though it is fun).
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • cyb is pretty easy.

Love the mbr route!

Having decent callipers is the first thing and using the right compound. You might find using sintered pads work better for you.

Tbh I find I run out grip before I run out of stopping power even with my 180mm rotors up front and 160 rear as I'd say I use 70% front and 30% rear.

As for locking the rear that's pretty easy too.
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    ilovedirt wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    Dave_P1 wrote:

Only if you have crap brakes/don't know how to use them.
    I run 203/203 on the downhill bike and 203/180 on the AM bike (used to be 203/203 as well) and have had no issues with locking up the back wheel when I don't want to (though it is fun).

Agree with this, I don't have any problems with locking the rear brake
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Why would you want 200mm rear rotor. I'm 16 stone and a 160mm rear is enough even on my DH bike.
  • tmsjns
    at the moment i have 180/180 but i figured id try 200/200 to see what its like. By the sounds of things I'll end up with 200/180 and a spare 200 rotor but i figured id try it out! Each to their own and all that!
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Why would you want 200mm rear rotor. I'm 16 stone and a 160mm rear is enough even on my DH bike.
    That's what came with my brakeset when I bought it, I didn't see the point in changing it.
    You would cook your brakes with 160mm rotors on a proper downhill run.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    had to replace my rear 160mm with a 180mm for this season as it was getting way to hot on big descents. 180mm front and rear now and with the new SLX brakes I'm literally in braking heaven. Awesome set-up. I reckon I've got more power on that set-up than on the Elixir R's on 203mm rotors front & back on the Session
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8