Fix to the mudguard + disc brake problem

Boy Lard
Boy Lard Posts: 445
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
Well, after a good hour of messing about in the bike shop today, we decided that the best option for me would be to buy the SKS chromoplastic mudguards, fit the rear one as normal and then somehow make some kind of clip to attach the front guard. This is what I did:-

Bought some galvanised steel strapping normally used for hanging pipes.
Cut a couple of small bits off , filed and rounded the ends.
Cut a couple of small lengths of inner tube.
Covered both bits of strap.
Put bolt through strap and through the SKS plastic clip, around fork legs.
(scary bit) Drilled hole in top of fork.
Bolted everything together.

Here are some pics:-

IMAG0126.jpg
IMAG0128.jpg
IMAG0129.jpg
IMAG0130.jpg
IMAG0131.jpg

I'm pleased with it. It's all rock solid, no rattling. Not sure how much this helps anyone else, but there it is.

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Good fettling!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,946
    Yowsas, good work!

We just bought a Trek Valencia for my gf's Dad, and that had provision for fitting guards and rack, but also had disc brakes.
    'Library pic of an electric one I think'
    Trek-valencia-plus-sned.jpg

Why on earth would Trek make it without any of those mounting points, phenomenal production choice there..
    Or is yours a converted mountain bike............?

Which model is it out of interest?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Boy Lard
    Yeah, I would expect any modern hybrid bike to have mounts for racks and mudguards. My friend at work purchased one of the Trek fx7.something with mechanical disc brakes and we fitted some of the SKS mudguards with no problem. I do really like those bikes tbh.

My bike is a converted mountain bike (Trek 6000) and the frame does have mudguard mounts, but the old suspension fork disappeared a while ago and I got this rigid steel fork from a friend of mine. Old fork, disc mounts, no mudguard mounts. I tried messing with some of the Crud Raceblades, and the other clip on ones, but I didn't think they'd be robust enough, (even if I did manage to get them to fit properly) so had to bodge a fix for the Chromoplastics.

I took the commuter out for a spin yesterday, just to test it obviously. Racked up 30 miles and ran through every puddle I could find. I did feel a bit guilty putting it away in the shed. I am convinced my road bike is now in a huff with me. Next time out she'll probably dump me in a hedge. I felt worse when I tried to sneak in today to get the mountain bike out without out her seeing. I'm hoping I can passify her with a strip and lube before we go out again.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Don't p-clips do what you've done yourself?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Boy Lard
    They would, but the ones the bike shop had wouldn't fit . The legs on these forks are a bit chunky. I am sure if I knew where to buy these things that would have been much simpler.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I just fixed the stay AND the disc brake to one of the disc brake mounting points using a longer bolt...
  • Boy Lard
    What did you do on the other side? I considered doing that on the disc side, but I was a bit worried about over tightening the bolt and snapping the little plastic thing. I guess I could have just not bothered with them.
  • Boy Lard wrote:
    They would, but the ones the bike shop had wouldn't fit . The legs on these forks are a bit chunky. I am sure if I knew where to buy these things that would have been much simpler.

For future reference, you can get stainless ones here (eBay) in max 4mm increments up to 56mm diameter.

Nice job, by the way, looks tidy.
  • jedster
    just used the usual mudguard mounting point on the other side. Means the stays are not symmetrical but so what?
  • jedster
    I used the plastic things (they are a safety feature - release if something gets jammed between guard and tyre) but hey are pretty rugged. No sign of failing after 12 months. I did use a washer either side of the plastic
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    top modding

i need to find away to keep my sks blades on my front forks

because the forks are narrow the mounting pads slides all over the place...bad times
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    So no fix for my disc brake squeal then.