6 months in and loving it!!

#david2012
#david2012 Posts: 275
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
I've found the forum really useful since I joined and have learnt so much from it Thankyou!
Many of us newbies look for reassurance from the other members asking about bikes etc which is quite natural when you come into a new sport and become fanatical about it :D
By day I'm a golf professional and I do exactly the same advising players about technique, is club x better than club y and they are desperate to buy equipment that possibly looks the part but isn't suitable. Often what I want like other newbies is to get opinions from your experience rather than just the knowledge.... I can read and read to gain knowledge but experience will only come with time in the saddle tweaking this and that until it feels good, but yet isn't that all part of the fun!
In may I got a hybrid, quickly got a cheap Dawes giro 400 which is now on the trainer for the winter, I've set myself a goal of 6 months training to then 'treat' myself in April ready for the spring /summer.
So my question would be my budget is around 1.5k I don't see the point of spending anymore as I will be only using the bike for fitness and the odd ride out with friends.
I really like the boardman comp or team and have cash to spare on bits or the defy 1 seems to get good comments and I can get that for around £800 again leaving plenty spare. Would I really notice the difference if I spend more?
I've lost 3 stone feel great and love road bikes!

Comments

• Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Well, I bought my Giant for £620 (supposed to be £800) and while I immediately picked up some speed over my hybrid, if I was to go out and buy a £2000 carbon bike.... I would not go any faster than I do now. I would need to get my fitness and strength up a lot more yet before I would appreciate the "better" bike.

If you still need other gear to go with the bike, then leave cash to spare for them as putting that money into the bike won't get you any extra back.

Then get out there and enjoy! I'm gonna play 18 holes tommorrow and then try for 25 miles on the bike... Possibly I'm quite mad :lol:
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Generally, the more you spend at the lower end of the market the greater the benefits, i.e. the difference between a £1,000 bike and a £1,500 bike is considerably more marked than those between a £5,000 bike and £5,500 bike.

As a golf pro you would be able to draw the same parralell with golf equipment.

If your aim is to just get bike fit and keep in tone £800-£1,000 is plenty adequate enough to spend.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Generally, the more you spend at the lower end of the market the greater the benefits, i.e. the difference between a £1,000 bike and a £1,500 bike is considerably more marked than those between a £5,000 bike and £5,500 bike.

If your aim is to just get bike fit and keep in tone £800-£1,000 is plenty adequate enough to spend.

Exactly my thoughts Frank.. I feel around the £1000 mark should give me a nice bike based around my level with a view I could perhaps upgrade items down the line. Golf is so similar, it's pointless buying an expensive wedge if you use the wrong balls, it just won't do it's job....
    I'm really enjoying the new hobby and I'm itching to buy but appreciate any advice from the forum. Like I said earlier I'm leaning towards the boardman but the giant defy 1 from my lbs is also tempting.
  • #david2012 wrote:
    Generally, the more you spend at the lower end of the market the greater the benefits, i.e. the difference between a £1,000 bike and a £1,500 bike is considerably more marked than those between a £5,000 bike and £5,500 bike.

Exactly my thoughts Frank.. I feel around the £1000 mark should give me a nice bike based around my level with a view I could perhaps upgrade items down the line. Golf is so similar, it's pointless buying an expensive wedge if you use the wrong balls, it just won't do it's job....
    I'm really enjoying the new hobby and I'm itching to buy but appreciate any advice from the forum. Like I said earlier I'm leaning towards the boardman but the giant defy 1 from my lbs is also tempting.
    TBH, I couldn't advise between the two bikes. Honestly, if it's that close a choice in your opinion I WOULD BUY FROM MY LBS if they're good. Mine gives me excellent service and the independents need support. Obviously that's another debate though.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    #david2012 wrote:
    In may I got a hybrid, quickly got a cheap Dawes giro 400 which is now on the trainer for the winter!
    Winter? We're just into autumn. Glad you're enjoying cycling so much - you can enjoy at least another couple of months of real cycling before resorting to the turbo trainer.
  • I've tried to support my LBS but had some issues, loose saddle stem nuts wrong way round etc ... Being typically British I didn't complain just moaned and put right myself. Your right though if I could find one that offered a decent fitting service as well great. When I asked mine about fitting they just said your feet should touch the floor kind of like this :? Thanks for your thoughts though
  • #david2012 wrote:
    In may I got a hybrid, quickly got a cheap Dawes giro 400 which is now on the trainer for the winter!
    Winter? We're just into autumn. Glad you're enjoying cycling so much - you can enjoy at least another couple of months of real cycling before resorting to the turbo trainer.

Ha ha yes I know... I don't finish work till gone 5 so not much point midweek for me now! I still use the hybrid for the weekend spin
  • Kingy911
    Kingy911 Posts: 134
    I'm gonna play 18 holes tommorrow and then try for 25 miles on the bike... Possibly I'm quite mad

^^^ where did you find your Mrs ? I could do with one like that, it's either or for me :lol:
  • £1500 will generally buy you one of two things: An aluminium bike with a decent pair of wheels and a decent groupset, or a carbon fibre bike with lower spec in both of those areas. The carbon fibre bike is much more likely to be worth upgrading, because if nothing else the premium in cycling is in weight and there's not much point paying for components that are primarily made to be proportionally as light as the frames that they are likely to end up on, if you don't have such a frame. The obsession with weight is stupid, and a good number of the people feeding it are unfortunately simply ignorant beginners with a lot to learn. Likewise a lot of people fret unduly about what groupset they have; it really doesn't matter that much. There's only so wrong that you can go with derailleurs, cranks and cogs!

If I'm honest, I'd therefore suggest that you either spend all of the money on an aluminium bike with a decent spec or a carbon fibre bike with a lower spec - with a view to upgrading - or a basic spec (£700 or so) aluminium bike which will give you what you need and leave you some money for other things; not to mention all of the cycling paraphernalia you could do with! I never recommend that anyone buy a typical £900 bike because of diminishing returns (there isn't £200 of difference between a £700 Specialized and a £900 Specialized) and the typical specs of these bikes. I'd rather choose some sensible wheels (i.e. not cheap lookalikes of pricey racing ones: Not very many spokes but cheap hubs and rims), for a start.

But don't worry about the bike not being good enough. £50-£100 prudently spent on eBay will buy a road bike that's good enough for most cyclists. What you can buy these days at 'entry level' would have been unthinkable even 20 years ago; you will end up with something lighter than that which Stephen Roche won the 'Tour on, and equipped with features, performance and modern luxuries that he would have killed for, so buy something you like and enjoy it. :)
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Kingy911 wrote:
    I'm gonna play 18 holes tommorrow and then try for 25 miles on the bike... Possibly I'm quite mad

^^^ where did you find your Mrs ? I could do with one like that, it's either or for me :lol:
    I don't have a Mrs. It's the advantage of being single, though there is a downside :(

25miles was the plan, but I took a wrong turn and got lost, so it became 34miles :shock: The last 5 miles were not funny as my legs had died.

But hey ho, I survived. Note to self: photocopy the map and take it with you!
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • My mrs has just agreed to keep the 'new bike' in the house so happy days :D
  • ForumNewbie
    For a £1500 budget you should look at Cube bikes. I bought a Cube Agree GTC Race this time last year in sale for £1500 - it's carbon with good wheels and full Ultegra. And there is nothing I have felt the need to upgrade.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    For 1500 quid I'd buy a nice 1100 quid bike, Cannondale CAAD10 maybe. Then spend 400 on really nice light wheels such as Mavic Ksyrium Elites for it.

Even a three grand bike often only comes with average wheels, this is where they skimp. Top end wheels will turn a good bike into a superb bike.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • ForumNewbie
    unixnerd wrote:
    For 1500 quid I'd buy a nice 1100 quid bike, Cannondale CAAD10 maybe. Then spend 400 on really nice light wheels such as Mavic Ksyrium Elites for it.

Even a three grand bike often only comes with average wheels, this is where they skimp. Top end wheels will turn a good bike into a superb bike.
    I'm no expert on wheels, but would it really benefit a beginner spending £400 on wheels? I have just looked at a review for Mavic Ksyrium Elites. They are stiff and responsive which is obviously good for speed, but it says "the trade-off for stiffness is more direct feedback from the road", so maybe they are not most comfortable or beneficial for a beginner. My Cube bike which came with Fulcrum Racing 5 wheels (they retail at just over £200 per wheelset), are pretty light and responsive and with Schwalbe Ultremo ZX tyres, give a comfortable ride as well.
  • Thanks for the replies all.
    So with my 10% saving at halfords how does the boardman team for £900 stack up and what would be the obvious upgrade be with the spare £600?
    I'd rather buy from an lbs but it does seem a great spec for the price? With plenty of cash spare to buy upgrades
  • ForumNewbie
    #david2012 wrote:
    Thanks for the replies all.
    So with my 10% saving at halfords how does the boardman team for £900 stack up and what would be the obvious upgrade be with the spare £600?
    I'd rather buy from an lbs but it does seem a great spec for the price? With plenty of cash spare to buy upgrades
    If you are determined to spend up to £1500 in total, why not go for a Boardman Road Team Carbon at £1300 rather than an aluminium frame? I see that the cassette on both Boardmans is only 12/25, which may be a struggle for a beginner on any really steep hills near you. With a compact 50/34 at the front, I would go for a cassette with at least 28 as my biggest cog at the back.
  • I was considering the team carbon. Do you think it would be a worthwhile option? Would I appreciate the difference in the frame? By the sounds of it I could do with some tweaks to help me on the climbs... ( excuse my ignorance ) I guess the only reason I'm sounding determined to spend the money is its my treat to myself and I'm saving each month into a secret fund! Like I've said before I have genuinely tried to get advice face to face but come away disappointed. £1500 is £1500 I'd just like to think I've made a wise decision on the bike. I do this every day selling golf clubs, offering advice on components, shafts, lofts, grip sizes etc etc so your I'm grateful for your experience and advice!
  • ForumNewbie
    #david2012 wrote:
    I was considering the team carbon. Do you think it would be a worthwhile option? Would I appreciate the difference in the frame? By the sounds of it I could do with some tweaks to help me on the climbs... ( excuse my ignorance ) I guess the only reason I'm sounding determined to spend the money is its my treat to myself and I'm saving each month into a secret fund! Like I've said before I have genuinely tried to get advice face to face but come away disappointed. £1500 is £1500 I'd just like to think I've made a wise decision on the bike. I do this every day selling golf clubs, offering advice on components, shafts, lofts, grip sizes etc etc so your I'm grateful for your experience and advice!
    Does the £1500 budget include essential other stuff like shoes, pedals, pump, saddlebag, clothes etc? That can mount up. If however you have set aside £1500 purely for the bike, then I would go for the complete bike rather than buying one for £900 and spending £600 on upgrades. You should be able to get a decent carbon bike with good components for £1500 like a Cube or a Boardman. The likes of Specialized and Trek are good but generally a bit more costly for similar spec.
  • Yes got all of the above if only the basics but nothing really needed for now hence the spoils of a new steed , I've already saved up £1000 so with 6 more months to go I will probably have some extra for anything else. Thanks again for your recommendations though its certainly food for thought! Back to scouring reviews :D
  • Are you absolutely set on buying a Boardman?

I ask because Sensa bikes have caught my eye recently and I'm now looking at buying a full carbon offering some time next year which will be my 'good bike'. My existing bike (which has a Sensa frame) will then become my winter/trainer.

Sensa are a well established Dutch company and they're making some really nice bikes at various price points:-

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/b ... nsa-bikes/
  • No not absolutely set but with my budget The more I look around the choice is huge, And I guess I know exactly what I'm getting with the boardman, plenty of reviews / user experience etc. being the beginner I am I guess I'm sticking to solid mainstream products, not really knowing what I 'need' to enjoy my cycling. Having lost 3 stone climbing is getting easier but I don't feel I'm very good at it to be honest so as some one posted earlier I'm now looking at the rear cassette and maybe a triple until I improve, I'm learning daily and thinking I probably won't appreciate spending the full budget at the moment. My Dawes giro 400 cost me £270 brand new so it was a worthwhile starter bike which has taught me so much over the past few months.
  • ForumNewbie
    david - you should also consider how relaxed a riding position you want. If you are planning on long rides and if you are not that young, you may not want a road racer with the bars too low in relation to the saddle. You may want to consider a sportive type bike - still a fast road bike with a slightly more relaxed riding position.
  • I funny enough I've been looking more at sportives !! My motives at present are all fitness and enjoyment, I'm not going to join any clubs or compete, I simply love getting out on the open road. The more I explore this issue I agree that sportive geometry might be the best option currently. I'm 41 so no teenager but looking around would I do better to say stick for the time being on say the boardman comp? Sportive geometry, the SRAM crank and cassette seem better suited to climbing and with my British cycling discount it would cost around the £800 mark, ribble also offer bikes around this price point as well :? ... I guess you pays your money!