New Brakes

Greer_
Greer_ Posts: 1,716
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
I've started looking for new brakes as my current ones (Tektro Aurigua Comps) just don't seem to stop me anymore. It's not the pads fault, it just doesn't feel like they're powerful enough.

I'm looking at getting some Shimano Deore M596's for around £60 from rose bikes. Is there anything else I should be looking at? How do they compare to SLX's? I do have a limited budget due to the new student lifestyle!

I believe the brakes come the wrong way round so do I need new olives as well or are they reusable?

Would it also be worth upgrading the front to a 180mm rotor at the same time?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No need for Olives to swap levers, but will often need a bleed.

Personallly I'd try and get some used SLX in v. good condition ahead of new Deores.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    But you are Mr Used.
  • The Rookie
    Thats Used an abused to you Chunkers.....

I do believe in 'recycling' (Badoom....tish!), better components for less money, what's not to like! I do have new saddles though, and I'm sure I have some new parts on my bike somewhere........maybe!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    No warranty and might be knackered lol. Can take a careful eye!
  • dry664
    dry664 Posts: 155
    Unless you have the largest frame known to man you will want to trim the hoses when you do the swap. I got the SLX's and they came with a pair of spare olives. Instructions should also be in the box as well. And then might need a bleed.
  • The Rookie
    supersonic wrote:
    No warranty and might be knackered lol. Can take a careful eye!

Indeed.....been lucky so far!
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    Go for the deore m596 my mate has new xt s and i have new deore and we couldnt tell the difference trail riding . new deore are good brakes loads of power and £50 each end
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • Greer_
    Roughly £32 each end! I think its a bargain! What makes the SLX's better? I think servowave (sp?) is in both? And that the M596 is better than the M595's.

Is a larger rotor worth it? I'm not overly heavy, only about 10.5-11 stone. Someone tell me the its brakes I have at the moment that are wick!

I was looking through the shimano webby and found something that said if you push the pistons out a bit, then swap the levers and trim the outers, any air that enters the system is pushed into the reservoir when the pistons are pushed back in. Will this work? I don't see why not!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    If the Aurigas are working right, they shouldn't lack power... Not the greatest feeling brake in the world but decent stoppers otherwise. (they're basically a ripoff of the older Shimano designs) I'd suggest new pads tbh, and possibly a bleed.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Greer_
    They definitely don't need a bleed. And the fluid in the brakes at the moment isn't that old. New pads really didn't make much difference, went from the ones that were supplied with the brakes to SS kevlar. I just don't stop as quick as I'd like, and the feel of them is a bit strange from others I've tried.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Something's wrong for sure- they're equal on power to the old M775s I replaced them with, and those are not weak brakes.
    Uncompromising extremist