Crankset advice.

Cubist
Cubist Posts: 73
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Ok, as I said in a recent post, Im intending to get myself an on one carbon whippet frame and get a build done with a new fork and as many donor parts from my existing bike as i can to begin with.
The advice given to me indicated that my existing crankset will not be compatible, so Im going to have to fork out for one. I really want this bike to end up being a flier and so ive been looking at a 44/30t double setup and am wondering how versatile and easy to live with - or not - this would be?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Should be OK, I rarely use anything other than a 32T, so grabbing an extra 1/2 a gear by running a 30T shoul make the climbing adequate (if your an OK climber!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cubist
    Cubist Posts: 73
    Should be OK, I rarely use anything other than a 32T, so grabbing an extra 1/2 a gear by running a 30T shoul make the climbing adequate (if your an OK climber!)

Yeah, Im a pretty good climber. So, for the uphill, the 30t is a goer then?
    It was mainly that I was worried about. I didnt want to be all fast outer ring and nowhere to turn to when the terrain and gradient gets tough!
    For flat-out speed, the double ring and 44t aspect coupled with a light frame and build really appealed to me, but its all pointless if it limits you too much on a trail.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Think I'd go 1x10 on that frame (if I didn't live in the Alps) to keep the weight down with a 34t ring and a 11-36t cassette
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8