MTB Short Film Research

Gammon
Gammon Posts: 3
edited October 2012 in MTB general
Hi y'all, I'm looking at making a short film (5-10 mins) about mountain biking and was hoping you would be able to help me with a bit of research.

I recently started biking, partially through necessity, and have found it really enjoyable and started taking more adventurous routes until I was stopped fairly sharply by a tree. Minus the tree, this inspired me to make a short film showing how exhilarating it can be.

Anyway, if any of you would be kind enough to tell me a little bit about how you got into biking and what you enjoy about it that would be awesome. Also, if you have any suggestions about how I can make the film stand out from others or things you want to see in this type of film feel free to tell me.

Cheers,
Gammon

Comments

• bloghog
    bloghog Posts: 40
    There is an awful lot of stuff out there also shot in some fantastic mountain biking locations so you are going to have a very tough job making something that will stand out from the rest.

Filming mountain biking generally makes it look quite slow at least it is quite difficult to give the feel of genuine speed and exhilaration that you are searching for.

The kind of videos or films I like to see capture that feeling of being out on the bike amongst mountains and forests away from everything and convey the freedom you get from being out on the bike.

Whatever you do good luck.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The best films I have seen intersperce on board footage with external footgae on the same trail to give a full sense of what is happening, best of luck with your project.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Gammon wrote:
    Hi y'all, I'm looking at making a short film (5-10 mins) about mountain biking and was hoping you would be able to help me with a bit of research.

I recently started biking, partially through necessity, and have found it really enjoyable and started taking more adventurous routes until I was stopped fairly sharply by a tree. Minus the tree, this inspired me to make a short film showing how exhilarating it can be.
    Ace. I was trawling youtube the other dya, and I thoguht to myself, I did, "you know, Yeehaa, what's missing from Youtube?" I asked myself?
    "no" I replied to myself.
    "Mountain bike videos".
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Ace. I was trawling youtube the other dya, and I thoguht to myself, I did, "you know, Yeehaa, what's missing from Youtube?" I asked myself?
    "Sheep".
    FTFY
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    "Sheep".
    FTFY
    Didn't think to fix any of my multitidinous typos though?
    Your lazy impresses me :lol:
  • Gammon
    Gammon Posts: 3
    Thanks for the useful responses bloghog and The Beginner. I'm looking at making the film to show the different aspects of mountain biking, as in the fast paced as well as the more sedate riding. And I'm going to create a soundtrack from the sounds of bikes to give a different spin to all the excessive amounts of films out there that are effectively music videos.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    There's a reason they're like music videos - people easily attach emotional memories to music, so if they're out riding and hear that music, they'll feel like the riding god from the bike DVDs, or if they're sat at a desk at work and listen to the music, they can escape in their heads for a moment.

Don't bother trying to make yourself look fast, you won't. It is quite funny, however, when people blame the video cameras for making them look slow :lol:

I still think it's a terrible idea.