Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    EH_Rob wrote:
    He'd have nailed it if he was fitter.
    :lol: or used velcro gloves

He would of just rode over the canyon if he was on a 29er.

:lol:
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I've tried that, it doesnt work :lol
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Lol, predictable responses in all ways. Sorry, pointing downhill after being uplifted is aint sport as such. It's fun, don't get me wrong but it aint all round skills or fitness.

See, I'm tempted to moderate this thread for retardedness but instead I'll leave this stuff in because it's hilarious.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Oh Marone
    Oh Marone Posts: 261
    Have to say I watched the final live and really enjoyed it, how the hell no one was seriously injured is beyond me. Seriously impressive skills and a very very fine line between a good landing and a horrific accident, those 50odd ft drop ins on some of the lines near the top looked bloody scary never mind the rest of it. The riders must have titanium cojones is all I can say, amazing to watch and must be something else to actually be there and witness it live.

"I think I am ok but my feet really hurt" :shock:
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Northwind wrote:
    Lol, predictable responses in all ways. Sorry, pointing downhill after being uplifted is aint sport as such. It's fun, don't get me wrong but it aint all round skills or fitness.

See, I'm tempted to moderate this thread for retardedness but instead I'll leave this stuff in because it's hilarious.

:lol:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • mattzzzzzz
    mattzzzzzz Posts: 32
    edited October 2012
    Sport IMO is confusing in its terms and genres
    Is Darts a sport? Fishing? Gymnastics- the one with ribbons ? Synchronised swimming?
    Bowls? Curling?
    Some of these sports dont leave you breathless and physically drained but are classed as sports

So I class freeride events such as Rampage as sport asmuch as some of the others ive listed
    There is a lot of skill involved in what they do same as there is in Darts but just a different kind of skill

Rampage to me is like X fighters without engines although the course is less manicured which for me makes it harder as there are more variables but still need big balls to do it

The fact Rob Warner commentates both UCI downhill and X fighters says it all about the similarities
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S83k1W9b ... ata_player

Taken from Oxford Dictionary;
    Definition of sport
    noun
    1 an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Nuff Said
  • felix.london
    What are you talking about!?..there's defintiely a lack of braincells on these forums

Rampage is not a sport the same as the World Cup or Champions League or Grand National are not sports!

Unbelievable the nonsense that goes on on here

Trek Session 8
  • Edited just for you Felix see third paragraph :roll:
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    What are you talking about!?..there's defintiely a lack of braincells on these forums

Rampage is not a sport the same as the World Cup or Champions League or Grand National are not sports!

Unbelievable the nonsense that goes on on here

de ja vu....we've had this argument before people...can't we just ride our bikes? :lol:
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    It can only be considered a sport if everyone wears lycra, shaves their legs, ride with spds and participates in systematic mass doping programmes.

Anything else is not sport.
  • felix.london
    mattzzzzzz wrote:
    Edited just for you Felix see third paragraph :roll:

Still doesn't make much sense though does it?

Mountain biking is a sport. There are various disciplines within the sport of mountain biking, DH & FR/Slopstyle are two of them.

old boris before was just spuing complete nonsense as Northwind pointed out

Trek Session 8
  • Wow! Never thought my offhand casual comments would have spawned this. It is only an opinion and one I stand by. You clearly don't need to agree. Funny how having a contrary opinion always brings up accusations of trolling.

For me, even if it includes balls, skills and some fitness I believe too much coverage is given to gravity disciplines in mountain biking. Christ even just saying this brings shouts of Lycra as some form of insult. Like I care, I never initially brought up cross country. It's not me being the bike snob.

Rampage is diverting I grant you but it simply does not float MY boat as a sport. I also have misgivings re those "sports" that require some form of subjective judgement to find a winner. That includes a lot of "sports" but subjectivity in sports is questionable. Take ski jumping. The style mark is not required. Surely it should be based on distance jumped and that's all?

Unfortunately we have so many sports based on judging so we can't get away from it.

And yes I have been "mountain biking" in the mountains since before I got a "mountain bike" on a homemader. And yes I am old, like you will be some day sooner than you think. Och, I guess I'm just an old foggie.

Incidentally I don't take this alll seriously. It is just a bit of fun, stop taking it so seriously. Peace.
  • felix.london
    I believe too much coverage is given to gravity disciplines in mountain biking

Red Bull (that huge TV channel) show the DH & XC. And there's def more XC on normal TV channels. I escpecially enjoyed the DH in the Olympics :? - which is the most televised/watched event in the world.

Sounds like you've got some kind of weird chip on your shoulder. Come to live in France they love their XC over here.

Trek Session 8
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    For me, even if it includes balls, skills and some fitness I believe too much coverage is given to gravity disciplines in mountain biking.

Because its far more exciting to watch by a long way! I've had a go at watching some XC events and its just not that interesting. Don't get me wrong I have loads of respect and admiration for the XC racers but its just not that interesting to watch. Maybe I watched the wrong races but seemed a bit like a procession not much else going on. I don't consider mountain biking as main steam sport so to get lots of people to watch it you have to show the exciting stuff.