Crash/splat

Giraffoto
Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
edited October 2012 in MTB general
My first off while moving for several years . . .
In another topic I said of my tyres that "S-Works Fast Trak LK are doing a great job for me, I ride mainly on exposed chalk and gravelly tracks, with the occasional stretch of hard-packed mud punctuated with roots. But they don't like thick, squidgy mud much." Well, I proved that right last night by hitting a patch of thick squidgy mud (on a fast downhill curve) with too much speed and too little skill, and dumping myself in the mud. Some observations. . .
  • Soft mud is really soft, but it has hard bits in it
  • When you have a torch on your head, mud that a few centimetres from your face is blindingly bright
  • It's possible to get one foot through the frame, round the back of the seat tube and caught up on the back wheel, all while the other foot's still clipped in. It is, however, b!00dy difficult to get out of that position when you're laying in mud
  • A layer of mud is a surprisingly effective windproof
  • No one likes to make casual conversation with you in shops when you look like you've just done something horrifically violent
  • It can take longer to get some things off a shower than it did to get them off your body
  • Once your freewheel's stopped buzzing, it's so quiet in the woods at night that you find yourself whispering phrases like "Ah f%&@!"
  • A water bottle takes a lot of dislodging. But when the valve's covered in wet mud, that's irrelevant
Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
XM-057 rigid 29er

Comments