SKY climbers

Team4Luke
Team4Luke Posts: 597
edited October 2012 in Pro race
who now is the best climber in team SKY.
Team4Luke supports Cardiac Risk in the Young

Comments

• LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    An imposible question, very subjective.

Over what terrain? gradient? Climb Length?
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    It's very hard to tell..maybe they aren't as good as we think?
  • Dave_1 wrote:

Out of interest, if you were asked who's the best climber in other teams, say BMC and Garmin, who would you say? Seems to me that in most teams there's no universal stand-out individual who's the best climber. Too many variables to answer with one single name who everyone would agree on.
  • Team4Luke
    Team4Luke Posts: 597
    they have signed at least one climber and also JTL, there is Froome and Wiggins, is JTL anywhere near their level or will he get there, how good is he.
    Team4Luke supports Cardiac Risk in the Young
  • dave_1
    Dave_1 wrote:

Out of interest, if you were asked who's the best climber in other teams, say BMC and Garmin, who would you say?

I am not sure of those two teams...but I still grudingly like Garmin. I can't see anyone of climber build there e.g. Herrera physique. It's all rounders nowadays
  • dave_1
    Team4Luke wrote:
    they have signed at least one climber and also JTL, there is Froome and Wiggins, is JTL anywhere near their level or will he get there, how good is he.

I think climbers should be good at various races throughout the year otherwise it is fishy. The can say they are ill...but they might be dropping off blood too, so who knows. Froome says he was ill last winter and early-to mid season and recovering...but he made sure not to be ill in July.. I reckon power to weight ratio is an advantage regardless of form. Over the season, who is the best climber is safer to discuss, no?
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Time for a Bunk gif.

High mountains: Froome
    Punchy climbs: Henao or Nordhaug
    All round: Uran
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Doesn't anything SKY now belong in the JTL thread?
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • LeicesterLad
    Team4Luke wrote:

Sky is a strong team of climbers these days, Your missing a pair of Colombians, an Aussie, and a fair few others out of that equation!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Is Wiggins a climber?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Froome is the strongest climber.

That's a no brainer.
  • Is Wiggins a climber?

Wiggo: phenomenal TTer who can climb

Froome: climber who can TT bloody well
  • LeicesterLad
    Froome is the strongest climber.

That's a no brainer.

Looking at the Tour he was, at the Vuelta Uran looked better - thats why its subjective. Form, Fatigue, Route, Climb, Gradient, Length, Opportunity (IE. Had Uran not been working for Froome could he have outclimbed him in the Vuelta?)
  • pomtarr
    pomtarr Posts: 318
    Dave_1 wrote:
    I am not sure of those two teams...but I still grudingly like Garmin. I can't see anyone of climber build there e.g. Herrera physique. It's all rounders nowadays
    Dan Martin.
    "Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult"
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Have you seen them off the bike. Henao is a proper little gangster.

8046509194_6dbe417b3e_c.jpg
    8046508476_6841568f2a_c.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Is Wiggins a climber?

Wiggins is a Pursuit rider turned, Prologue rider, turned TT rider, turned Climber, turned Lead-Out man but will always have a good old drink and a fag when off season.... :mrgreen:
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    and a rollie at that
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    Is Wiggins a climber?

Wiggins is a Pursuit rider turned, Prologue rider, turned TT rider, turned Climber, turned Lead-Out man but will always have a good old drink and a fag when off season.... :mrgreen:

He's a sprinter too.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    Is Wiggins a climber?

He's a sprinter too.

Yeh,

but one swallow and all that :lol:
  • Geraint Thomas can acquit himself pretty well in the hills.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    So can EBH for that matter... And did you see Stannard drop Talansky in the Worlds?

They're a team that can all pretty much do a job when it goes uphill...