MTB or similar for commute

ademort
ademort Posts: 1,924
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all
Well you usually find me in the road secti of of the forum, but i,m after some advice from you mountain bikers.I usually ride my Giant Defy 4 road bike on my commute. A 10 mile flat ride on reasonable roads here in the Netherlands. However the last 2 winters have been so hard, riding the road bike has become a bloody misery especially when some of you mountainbikers just ride past as if theres nothing wrong with the roads. I am in the market for a mountain bike specifically aimed at these really bad days. What bike should i choose and what tyres would be best. I dont want to go over say €1000 or 800 quid. Thanks.
Ade
ademort
Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
Giant Defy 4
Mirage Columbus SL
Batavus Ventura

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd not get a full on MTB, get something that will take decent tyres, so either a 700C Hyrbid or crossbike, or a 26" hybrid, you don't need suspension.

Personally in your position I'd get a cyclocross bike and fit it out with winter tyres and guards.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I'd not get a full on MTB, get something that will take decent tyres, so either a 700C Hyrbid or crossbike, or a 26" hybrid, you don't need suspension.

Personally in your position I'd get a cyclocross bike and fit it out with winter tyres and guards.

100% agree.

As for which one specifically, I'd go ask the communters. Careful though, they're an easily offended bunch.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    ademort wrote:
    mountainbikers just ride past
    It's not the bike, that's because we are all awesome riders.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    ademort wrote:
    mountainbikers just ride past
    It's not the bike, that's because we are all awesome riders.

Gnarrr, rad to the max, feeding off each other, sideways!
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    What do you mountain bike experts think of this bike. Is it worth the money. Would it do the job for me and should i change the tyres. Remember i only want to use it when it,s icy or in snowy conditions.
    http://www.fietssportief.nl/nl/producte ... ud-6-0/762
    Ade
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Id say it looks fine for the money! Its actually a very capable offroader! Pretty decent deal and nice components. For somethig lighter you could go for this http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1830/ ... m-6-0.html
    You could of course save money and get a rigid MTB as you wont be needing the suspension - something in a 29er flavour perhaps?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd still say what the OP is describing he wants is a crosser......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.