Best 10 speed chain

Mr Dog
Mr Dog Posts: 643
edited October 2012 in Road buying advice
Currently run a mix of ultegra and 105. Have used a few chains;
105 - good
Dura Ace 7901 - very noisey
Wippermann S1 - good

About to put a KMC X10sl on the winter bike. Need a good chain for the last days of summer on my best steed. Any recommendations?
Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?

Comments

• There is a very good comprehensive review in Tour Magazine at http://www.tour-qtr.com/epaper_4_2011

My personal preference would be for the Ultegra.

Dan
  • Mr Dog
    Thanks Dan. Great link really appreciated.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Yes, Ultegra and 105 chains seem the best from that test.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Yes, Ultegra and 105 chains seem the best from that test.

and those are the two that have snapped on me :? Never had a problem with SRAM or KMC.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    KMC x10SL about £45 in Uk or £26 direct from Taiwan.

Gold or silver colour, Quick link included, work with SRAM, Shimano and Campagnolo

I swear by them and have loads!
    Colnago Addict!
  • My ultegra chain snapped on my first ride on my new bike, the day after I collected it from my LBS. They fit a KMC chain, silver I think, and its been fine since.
    Still trying to convince the missus of the n+1 rule...!
  • gin0rm0
    gin0rm0 Posts: 40
    Used KMC X10 SL and Dura Ace and both nice chains. Found the Dura Ace to be quieter for me (Ultegra cassette). My Dad does loads of miles and chooses Dura Ace as he says they last longer than KMC.
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    KMC X10sl for me on my good bike. I think it's much quiter and lasts at least as long as the shimano ones. Worth the extra IMO.

I use 105 chains with a KMC link on my winter bike. Snapping chains only ever seems to happen with Shimano pin links. Not the one sided chains though, much too noisy - no wonder they are moving away from those with the new D-A groupset.

Either way worn chains go in the bin not on another bike :wink:
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    X10SL from ebay seller bi_king £26 posted (couple of weeks from Taiwan)
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    DA 7801 chains from Bike-discount, 28 euros - the best chain ever.
    join using a kmc link or Shimano pin - 1000s of miles on these over the years and never had any issues.

I dont like the newer slotted chains, mainly as all they do is hold the dirt etc and make cleaning a pia.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    X10SL is my favourite - super smooth and reliable/ long lasting.

Peter
  • Mr Dog
    Thanks all. Just ordered two X10SL's from Ribble, £35.96 each. Now I just need something to help me get up these hills a little faster .. better heart, lungs, legs etc :wink:
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    That test really didn't like SRAM chains...I thought they generally had a very good reputation.
  • Mr Dog
    Had a SRAM chain on my mtb. It was the last I ever bought.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I have a SRAM on my campag equipped bike - it's not one of their top ones and was only bought in an emergency. This thread has reminded me to replace it and I'll be trying the kmc x11sl which I hope will be as good as the x10sl has been.

Peter
  • Broke many x10sl chain before they were worn. Link outer plates were literally ripped apart.

Stopped selling them after the third failure. A couple of customers experienced the same thing. Its the only kmc chain problem i have ever found.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    MF always used KMC with ne'er a problem tbh.

Shimano ones were always the ones that broke but given the sheer POWER MF is putting out he's not surprised he didn't snap more.

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    KMC SL for me also when i'm replacing the chain from stock.

Ultegra hase been fine on the bikes when i first bought them. I once had an SRAM chain and it kept snapping at various points (i think it snapped in 4 places).
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • MattFalle
    Agree compketely - SRAM one was a disappointment as well. Not even sure why MF bought it tbh.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,312
    buy a 9 speed (and suitable link if it doesnt come with it). it runs on 10 speed and often cheaper
  • I use the 6701 or the 4701, whichever is cheaper on the day... can't really tell the difference... they both seem to work fine and last long enough
    left the forum March 2023
  • MattFalle
    amrushton said:

buy a 9 speed (and suitable link if it doesnt come with it). it runs on 10 speed and often cheaper

hmmmm - not sure about this - tried it by mistake on the cx bike and couldn't fathom why it wouldn't shift properly until a friend pointed it out.

i think 9 speed is slightly wider than 10 so won't shift.

more than happy to be proved wrong though.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,312
    Might depend on your setup. I have Campag chorus and record 10 speed but have never had issues with 9 speed chains. Even a 9 speed quick link has worked ok on 10 speed.
  • MattFalle
    amrushton said:

Might depend on your setup. I have Campag chorus and record 10 speed but have never had issues with 9 speed chains. Even a 9 speed quick link has worked ok on 10 speed.

I think mine was a Shimano cassette with KMC chain so yup, may very well be manufacterer dependant. I'm not going to bicker about it though!

As with all this bicycle stuff give anything a go and it may well work - I had an SRAM Red 10 speed mech with KMC 10 speed chain working perfectly with an 11 speed titanium Miche Campag cassette on a Campag wheel, which really, really shouldn't work.