Front and back wheels stolen - Suggestions for replacemnent?

laxxmi
laxxmi Posts: 6
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Came out of my house this morning to discover both wheels had been stolen off my nearly new Voodoo Hoodoo. :cry: I'm really pissed off but just gonna have to bite the bullet and replace them as my insurance doesn't cover 'parts'. Thing is, I'm totally skint, got loads of debt, no credit but I really need to ride....I can't imagine not riding every day! Can anybody suggest the absolute cheapest replacements... I see CRC have wheelsets for under a ton - Will any 26" wheels fit on the Hoodoo? And I really liked my Maxxis Advent tyres but what cheapish replacements would people recommend - I do mostly XC, bit of singletrack, a lot of cycle paths and chalky downland bridelways and try to avoid the mud as much as poss. Any suggestions gratefully received - I really need cheering up just now!

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Pretty much any QR/disc wheels will do. These are great value:

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/w ... otors.html

They are centrelock rotors, but as they come with SLX rotors (which of course you will need!) then thats even better value, as even cheap rotors will add £20 to the price of any wheels you buy. Also come with great QRs, again saving you another £20 (assuming that your rotors and QRs went with the old wheels :( )
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Stick a wanted ad in the classifieds on here. Someone will have a set they don't need.

Also check the usual places like ebay and pinkbike. bargains can be had off there too.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Local classifieds, on here or on singletrackworld.com, pinkbike.com is worth a look aas well.

Never leave a bike with QR wheels without locking the wheels, basic error I'm afraid.

Put your location in your profile, having wheels sent by post adds a chunk to the cost, so you want local ones ideally as you'll get better for your money.

Also search ebay for local ones.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They are not 'parts' and I would check your wording.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ben11
    ben11 Posts: 103
    Great tyre on offer, you can get cheaper but this is the fancy version.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=24599
    *edit* discontinued :roll:

those Shimano wheels posted look good too - lighter than the oem wheels, so will the tyres, think of it as an early upgrade!

and lock your bike better next time!!
  • snowster
    snowster Posts: 490
    benpinnick wrote:
    Pretty much any QR/disc wheels will do. These are great value:

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/w ... otors.html

They are centrelock rotors, but as they come with SLX rotors (which of course you will need!) then thats even better value, as even cheap rotors will add £20 to the price of any wheels you buy. Also come with great QRs, again saving you another £20 (assuming that your rotors and QRs went with the old wheels :( )
    Might treat myself to a set myself great price...as long as they will fit my ironhorse bootleg 1.0?
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    yes they will
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • I have a spare pair of wheels if you are interested.
    SLX hubs with Mavic 317 rims and centrelock rotors in black.

PM if interested.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    If buying new than look at One On. They have some deals where you get extras thrown in if you buy tyres and their wheels are good value.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/WPSREQ31MAX ... s_wheelset
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.