Thoughts on Windproof vs Waterproof

booktownman
booktownman Posts: 151
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
So the weather's turned and the hill's in clag. I need some new outerwear - thing is do I go for a decent full waterproof (looking at the new Altura Mayhem) or a super light pack-in-the-pocket windproof like the Montane Featherlight?

Your thoughts, opinions and experiences would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

BTM

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Favoured winter wear for me is the DHB Sync. Waterproof, windproof, crash resistant (well tested!). Generally been very breathable (depending on the layering underneath it) and very easy to clean up after a mucky ride.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • waterproof would be better in the rain...
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Windproof for me MTBing. I generate too much heat and there's not enough breeze to cool me down.

On the road I only break out the waterproof when it's cold and bucketing down. A decent windproof will see you through most of the winter. In fact my depths of winter windproof jacket was from Aldi :lol:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    Gore Windstopper and a Montane Singletrack for emergencies. The Windstopper keeps off the drizzle whilst not cooking me from inside and the 'waterproof' is good enough to get me home if it gets much worse.

I don't go out if it's p1ssing down when I look out of the window.
  • For me it depends on the season. Summer I always take a paramo windproof. The temps never get that low even if it's raining. However during winter if it's raining I change to a paramo Quito waterproof. Being on top of hellvelyn with a mechcanical being wet and cold would be no fun at all and could possibly be dangerous.
    When you go to the ground you are in my world. My world is the ocean. I am the shark and most people don't know how to swim
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I'd rather be warm than dry, my current jacket is waterproof, but water still finds its way in, however I tend to stay warm, thanks to it being windproof. It's a must when you're riding out in really open hills like I tend to.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    I'm with Prawny and ilovedirt. I just run too hot for waterproofs. Other layers help maintain warmth.