Have I got my layers wrong?

CleeRider
CleeRider Posts: 304
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
Newbie here trying to get my clothing right. During the summer I was wearing a short sleeve jersey with nothing underneath.

When the temp dropped below 15 degrees it was too cold and I switched to this with no base layer:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-long-sleeve ... ix-jersey/

It's felt a bit warm but easily solved by unzipping a fraction to get some air in.
Yesterday was 10 degrees and it was just right, no unzipping required - still no base layer.

However, although this jersey feels very comfortable during the ride, when I get back I find it's soaked inside with sweat and I am also quite wet too. The sweat goes un-noticed during the ride so it's not a big issue but I'm wondering if I should be wearing a short sleeved jersey and base layer in the temperature range 8-15, and then this long sleeve jersey plus long sleeve base layer when it's below 8 degrees?

Would a base layer under the long sleeve jersey mean I would come home dry?
I'm not wearing a base layer under it now because I'm thinking I'll be too hot. Is this correct?

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I personally use a base layer all the time (type varies depending on conditions) as I find they regulate my temperature better (or at least soak up some of the moisture).

The technical ones are designed to ''wick away' sweat whist also keeping you warm/cool.

I have vest type and long sleeved and these can be used to good effect with either short or long tops. e.g. I often wear a long sleeve base layer with a short sleeve jersey when the temperature is in between.

Experimentation was the only way I found what I needed when.

There are also high performace 'string vests' for really warm days :shock:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Everyone is different and you'll have to experiment.

I am totally bald and only wear a skull cap on very cold winter days whilst some of the guys I ride with have hair and wear skull caps much earlier in the season. Even on a sub-zero day I stop after about 5 miles and take the skull cap off to avoid cooking my head.

I also find that having flexibility is useful during the autumn/early winter. So a s/s jersey, wind cheater gilet, arm and leg warmers protect different bits of the body and still have bits exposed to get that cooling effect. Even with arm warmers on there is still a gap between them and the gilet meaning the armpits are ventilated and that helps me stay cool.

I tend to keep the roubaix top until it is very cold and even then sometimes I'll use a merino base layer, s/s jersey and a soft shell windcheater.

As for staying dry - does it matter? If you are warm and wet and not likely to suffer if it rains then just accept it. Your gear will need a wash anyway.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    I always wear a base layer. It helps to keep me cool when it's not and warm when it's cold. It also prevents my other clothing from soaking in sweat.

When the tempreture is 14+ I just use S/S J + base layer. Might however wear arm/leg warmers if morning ride

When it's 10-14 I'll use S/S J + base layer + Arm/leg warmers

When it's below 10 I will use S/S J + base layer + arm/leg warmers(depends on time of day) + wind/waterproof jacket road.cc/content/review/35791-pearl-izumi-elite-barrier-wxb-jacket

It depends on your body and what you're used to really. Last year I could go out wearing S/S J and shorts in temps around 10-12. However this year I've been treating my body and it is worth it.
  • CleeRider
    CleeRider Posts: 304
    I think I can see where I've gone wrong now. I always thought a base layer would make me too hot so have never worn one. Didn't realise they can keep you cool too.

So do you think if I wear one of these under my long sleeve jersey, I won't be too hot and I'll be dry from sweat?
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/craft-cool-mesh ... eless-tee/
  • A base layer might help. Merino wool is very effective as a wicking material, as well as being warm. I don't wear one myself; I just wear my short sleeve jersey under my longsleeve.

However, sweat is inevitable. You can't escape from it! :lol:
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    SS merino baselayer with the standard Windslam jersey (the one without the thermal/roubaix fabric) should sort you out nicely.

I'm currently using a SS windslam jersey with arm warmers and its just about right.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Navrig wrote:
    Everyone is different and you'll have to experiment.

What he said. Just get out there and cycle. Sometimes you will get clothing right, sometimes not. There is no shortcut since we all have different riding temps and work at different levels...and sometimes the weather is not what we thought it was. My advice on clothing would be to get a short sleeve light (or honeycomb) base layer, a long sleeve decent 2nd base layer and a long sleeve winter base layer and see what works for you with your short sleeve jerseys and long sleeve thermal tops. Decisions, decisions and we haven't even mentioned arm warmers... :)
  • As has been said, you have to experiment for your own comfort. One mistake I will not repeat and suggest you avoid too, is a cotton tee as a base layer. Huge error, once you sweat it clamps you in it's cold embrace and you are never warm again! Technical fabrics and layers is the way to go.
    'fool'
  • I was out early yesterday in the glens and it was just above freezing with little or no wind. I had under armour cold LS and my SS top and was toastie. If it was windy I would have stashed my gilet to keep my core warm. I think the wind slam top is overheating you.

As a rule if I feel a bit cold at the start of my ride I've got my gear right - but we are all different, I only wear bib shorts hail,rain,sleet or snow!
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    CleeRider wrote:
    Newbie here trying to get my clothing right. During the summer I was wearing a short sleeve jersey with nothing underneath.

When the temp dropped below 15 degrees it was too cold and I switched to this with no base layer:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-long-sleeve ... ix-jersey/

It's felt a bit warm but easily solved by unzipping a fraction to get some air in.
    Yesterday was 10 degrees and it was just right, no unzipping required - still no base layer.

However, although this jersey feels very comfortable during the ride, when I get back I find it's soaked inside with sweat and I am also quite wet too. The sweat goes un-noticed during the ride so it's not a big issue but I'm wondering if I should be wearing a short sleeved jersey and base layer in the temperature range 8-15, and then this long sleeve jersey plus long sleeve base layer when it's below 8 degrees?

Would a base layer under the long sleeve jersey mean I would come home dry?
    I'm not wearing a base layer under it now because I'm thinking I'll be too hot. Is this correct?

It's the windblock in the windslam that's making you sweat still, the non windblock momentum (I think) would be a better bet, insulated but allows air through