Bike-less :(

Panthera
Panthera Posts: 18
edited October 2012 in MTB beginners
Well on sunday I went out for a MTB ride, just an easy ride - stretch the legs - and as soon as I started I could here 'ticking', 'grinding' type of noise only when I peddled. I stopped and had a look and a tinker, as you do, and it appeared that my bottom Bracket has bitten the bullet and replacing. So, as I have no idea how one would attempt to chance such a part, I took my bike to the bike shop I use in Milton Keynes, whom I trust, on Monday morning. They said it would be ready Thursday/Friday. I phoned them up this morning and they say the part has not arrived yet and could be early next week now so the guy said. He said I could go and pick the bike up to use over the weekend if I wanted. I said no, I thought I don't want to do anymore damage.

Considering this is the second part that I have had replaced in 5 years (apart from a new chain and tyres) its not too bad. They make them strong at Orange.

But I have been thinking about, how much longer will the bike keep going and should I be looking to replace it. Its a 2007 Orange Crush.

Darren

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The BB is a generic part, not made by Orange (not even fitted, I believe the Crush's are Taiwanese made), maintenance is a fact of MTBing life really, what sort of LBS can't source a BB in a week though? It'll be square taper or possibly ISIS or Octalink, any of which is easily sourced!

If the bikes in good nick, keep it, and keep on top of the maintenance.

My Frame is a 2006 (link in sig).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The BB is a generic part, not made by Orange (not even fitted, I believe the Crush's are Taiwanese made), maintenance is a fact of MTBing life really, what sort of LBS can't source a BB in a week though? It'll be square taper or possibly ISIS or Octalink, any of which is easily sourced!

If the bikes in good nick, keep it, and keep on top of the maintenance.

My Frame is a 2006 (link in sig).

Thats true. Not sure what they are playing at. Bike is well looked after.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    hasn't arrived = they didn't order it. Unless it's some mad oddball thing but with a Crush it probably isn't.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    DIY. That is all.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I believe that the Bottom Bracket is a RaceFace item part of the Race Face DH Evolve Double X Type Chainset.

Yes, Northwind, I think you are right.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So square taper or ISIS, easy found, I bet your local Halfords will have one! Tell them that is where you'll take it next time!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.