Another MTB to commuting bike question

Tigger con carne
Tigger con carne Posts: 181
edited October 2012 in The workshop
Hi all,

I've got a similar question to the recent one about a chap wanting to convert a P7 frame to a commuter.

I recently had my nice Cannondale nicked from outside work and I'm therefore loath to leave its replacement there in future. I've got an M2 Stumpjumper frame (not sure of the year, but I think it could be 96, it's sort of blue-grey) which I ought a few years ago as a potential project. Now I'm thinking I can get the Stumpy powdercoated in a very unappealing colour, not add any decals and convert it into a fast commuter that doesn't look like a good bike worth stealing, especially with the addition of guards and a rack.

The route to work is fairly short (5 miles or so) and tarmac all the way so I'm thinking rigid forks, but not sure what to go for: a second hand steel version (like the Project 2, from an aesthetic POV) or a decent-looking new alloy one being sold by On One. On the other hand, someone on another forum suggested I'd be better off getting an original Stumpy Cr-Mo fork to maintain the same rake as it had, but this could be difficult to track down. Will changing the fork affect the ride and handling of the bike significantly?

Also, with totally rigid frame and forks plus some smooth slicks, I'll probably need to get some higher gears. How feasible is it to go for a few roadie drivetrain components (definitely need a double rather than a triple chainset)?

Sorry if these are stupid questions :wink:

Comments

• estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    yup remove decals, leave the paint job, the more scabby it looks......

p2's will be better than alloy forks (for flex and give)

single speed it

put on some slicks, might be able to squeeze in some 700c wheels if your lucky
  • Thanks for the reply. I like the look of the P2, definitely and I did think it might be a bit more comfy along some of the horrendously potholed roads in these parts. I may look for a Stumpy fork anyway, but needs to be found to get painted with the frame I think (I still want to get that done, make it my own!) and there are plenty of P2s on eBay at any given time it seems

Definitely need gears, though, as there is a fairly big hill at either end of my usual commute and I go to another site at Dewsbury once a week or so which has a couple of humungous hills en route which would definitely need a change in torque. I've not had the courage to cycle to Dewsbury so far because of the vertical element (well, that and the fact that I don't have a locker with shower stuff and a towel there)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Slightly shorter forsk will make the steering a bit twichy, but so far mine has been OK like that on mine.

I run 1x9 with a twist shifter as it declutters the bars and twist shifts are seen as a BSO thing!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.