Sportive on the Stelvio

Anyone know of any sportives that take you up the Stelvio? I've wanted to ride this for some time, and sportive sounds like a great way of doing it.
I've had a google around and can only find this one that is sold out and this one from last year, but I can't work out if it is being repeated this year. I can't find any information on other tour operators or direct entries.
Grateful for any ideas - it would help me strike one off from the "rides to do" list!

Comments

• It is a difficult call... it's hard to organise an event that goes up to 2770 Mt. You can only safely do it in July-August, otherwise the risk of snow is too high. July is already full of events and August is traditionally holiday month in Italy and nobody wants to organise anything
    left the forum March 2023
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    If you cannot get a sportive then what about spending a week in Bormio. Lots of other greats such as the Gavia and the Mortorolo to climb as well. Thats what we did several years agoand was one of my best holidays abroad.

See the link below for a write up from one our party

http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/bormio2008/index.htm
    Brian B.
  • I'm sure there was a thread on here somewhere about the Stelvio, where they shut it one Sunday every year to allow cyclists unhampered access. Maybe I just dreamt it though.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • gtchunks
    gtchunks Posts: 105
    Hi we were in Bormio this year on Sunday 15th July and they had a sportive organised by mapei going up the stelvio from Bormio must of been about 5 - 10 thousand entrants easy ,very well organised if that helps
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    gtchunks wrote:
    Hi we were in Bormio this year on Sunday 15th July and they had a sportive organised by mapei going up the stelvio from Bormio must have been about 5 - 10 thousand entrants easy ,very well organised if that helps
    Hmm, that looks just like what I am looking for, thanks. Looks like it is an annual thing, I'll watch their site to see when the 2013 date is.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    thecrofter wrote:
    I'm sure there was a thread on here somewhere about the Stelvio, where they shut it one Sunday every year to allow cyclists unhampered access. Maybe I just dreamt it though.

Yes I remember reading that too. I think you can do about three different routes up the mountain and it was all on closed roads
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    The Dreiländergiro goes up the Stelvio. Start and finish in Nauders, Austria. I’ve done it twice. Mass start, timed, jersey as souvenir for all. Next year it’s on 23 June. Last year it cost 50 Euro to enter.

http://www.dreilaendergiro.at/

There is also a smaller event called the ‘Brevet Rando Stilfserjoch Cima Coppi’, with start and finish in Merano. Next year it’s on 22 June. As suggested by the link name, this is more like an Audax event than a timed Sportive. I think you get a medal. Last year it cost 10 Euro to enter.

http://www.audaxitalia.com/brevetti/see ... ent=8&c=42

Given that they are both on the same weekend, the Merano one on Saturday, the Nauders one on Sunday, and not very far away from each other, you could enter both, on Saturday evening driving from Merano to Nauders!

As someone above in the thread has also mentioned, the Stelvio is closed 1-2 times a year to traffic, so only open to cyclists. I think one time it's closed is the first weekend of September.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    The Dreiländergiro isnt running next year and might not happen any more at all according to their website, due to issues with the Swiss...
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    Bigpikle wrote:
    due to issues with the Swiss...
    :D

Thanks for all these ideas, I'm now getting very interested and excited at the prospect of somehow doing this.
  • knedlicky
    It’s not yet definite that the Dreiländergiro has been cancelled.

The Swiss don’t want more than 1500 riders to pass through Switzerland, but the Giro has been having 3000 participants the last few years and the organisers feel 1500 would be too few to make it economically feasible. So the organisers are thinking about a new route or changing the entry conditions, or both.

From the Stelvio, via Bormio, Cles and Merano and back to Nauders would be a very long option, so I think it more possible they’ll offer up and down the Stelvio from Prad, then towards Merano, but before reaching there, up and down a side valley like Schnalstal or Martelltal, then back to Nauders. Or maybe just to Bormio and back, so the Stelvio from two sides.

They might even split the event, so 1500 go the usual way through Switzerland, and the rest do the new out-and-back version.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    ^^ thats interesting and I hope its true as it was on my list for next year if it runs :D
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Off to see the Giro later in the month - especially the Stelvio stage. I'm hoping to get to ride up the Stelvio, but not sure the weather will let us.

What gearing do people normally use ? I've a 39*28 thats got me up the Telegraphe and the Alpe successfully but I think the Stelvio is a fair bit longer. Ta.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Brian B wrote:
    If you cannot get a sportive then what about spending a week in Bormio. Lots of other greats such as the Gavia and the Mortorolo to climb as well. Thats what we did several years agoand was one of my best holidays abroad.

See the link below for a write up from one our party

http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/bormio2008/index.htm

Some great pictures there, looks like a good trip 8)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • knedlicky
    cougie wrote:
    Off to see the Giro later in the month - especially the Stelvio stage. I'm hoping to get to ride up the Stelvio, but not sure the weather will let us.

What gearing do people normally use ? I've a 39*28 thats got me up the Telegraphe and the Alpe successfully but I think the Stelvio is a fair bit longer. Ta.
    When I did the Stelvio as part of the Dreiländergiro (last time now over 10 years ago) I had 39/26; by last summer, when I went up the Stelvio just for fun, I’d changed to a compact, so I had 34/26.
    I have ridden Alpe d’Huez but only at the end of the Marmotte when I was fairly tired, so can’t quite judge which I’d say harder, but I’d probably say the Stelvio, just. As well as longer. The Stelvio is definitely harder than the Telegraphe.
  • 3Pears
    3Pears Posts: 174
    Brian B Thanks for sharing that link I remember reading Richyboy's blog of the same trip which helped visualise the Stelvio climb from Prato in prep for my first accent a few years back.
    Climbing Stelvio from Bormio for the first time in a few weeks, when I'm out that way in the week before the Maratona dles Dolomites, so I apprciate you sharing the photo's and write up :D

Thanks
  • insella
    insella Posts: 37
    on June 2nd will be the Granfonmdo Stelvio Santini 2013. there are still places available for all 3 courses. plenty of support from shimano; water and food roadside.
    Alternatively (!) there is the 'Sella Ronda' on June 23rd and September 15th when the roads will be closed to traffic. Plenty of support again, great atmospherre; a lot of fun that you can augment by starting dowen a lower valley or trying the devilish Passo Fedaia afterwards.
    Magic cycling in the Dolomites!
  • el_rey
    el_rey Posts: 83
  • dommyd
    dommyd Posts: 205
    I'm doing this in a few weeks,
    http://www.granfondostelviosantini.com/race-info/

Looks a great ride, I'm not worried about the Stelvio per se (did Marmotte two years agio and Maratona last year so used to long climbs..) its just that it comes after Mortirolo which looks a beast - harder than Passo Giau they say...which trust me was hard enough last year :shock:

def a compact (34/27) for me...legs wll be sapped of strength after Mortirolo so aim is to try and spin up Stelvio at a steady rhythm..
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Thanks chaps - I've decided to use my compact so I'm going 34-28. I'm usually an OK climber but a 2 hour plus climb is a bit hard to find round here !

Now I just need the snow to stay away - http://webcam.popso.it/cm/pages/ServeBL ... DPagina/28
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    dommyd wrote:
    I'm doing this in a few weeks,

Looks a great ride, I'm not worried about the Stelvio per se (did Marmotte two years agio and Maratona last year so used to long climbs..) its just that it comes after Mortirolo which looks a beast - harder than Passo Giau they say...which trust me was hard enough last year :shock:

def a compact (34/27) for me...legs wll be sapped of strength after Mortirolo so aim is to try and spin up Stelvio at a steady rhythm..

The Mortirolo is much harder than the Giau in my opinion. I did it the year after my first Maratona and it was horrible :lol:

It may give it some context, but despite it not being 'that' long, the organisers of the ride felt the need to put a feed stop half way up it. It was a very hot, slow grind, and I'm 57kg so not a bad climber.
  • dommyd
    well you're right about that....we did the 'classic' climb of the mortirolo (as per profile here http://www.climbbybike.com/profile.asp? ... ntainID=12 ) on Friday, it was certainly tough, espectially the middle 4 Km where people recorded 20% on their garmins (according to locals its 'only' 18%), but doable.

Then on Sunday in the granfondo passo del stelvio they sent those of us doing the long route up a different climb of the mortirolo, the one they 'created' from a goattrack for the Giro a couple of years ago as apparently the classic climb wasn't hard enough for the pros... :shock: According to the sign at the foot of the climb it was 11.4K at avg 10.5% and a max of 23% although again people were recording 25% on their garmins...strangely enough the first 7/8 Km were probably not as bad as the classic (I'm not going to say "easier" :P ) route , still with some sections at 18% and lots at 13/14% (when you're relieved to get to 10% you know its tough going..) and then we even had some flattish sections but that was just the calm before the storm, suffice to say the last 2Km was mental with a 400m section on a narrow, rough track (to say it was cobbled would be putting it too highly) at a consisent 23% before it 'levelled off' to 18% and then 15% for the last 500m to the food stop...a few very tough/light guys got up that section without getting off (#chapeau) but I only managed the first 150M before having to stop at a very tight bend after trying to negotiate my way round two walkers....insanely tough (it was hard walking up it let alone cycling) and almost as mental as the muppet who asked me to hold his bike and give him a push a few metres later, suffice to say he got about 5 metres and fell off...

As for the rest of the granfondo, if anyone fancies a very tough day (I say that having done the Marmotte and the Maratona) over some iconic climbs in a beautiful part of the world then this is the one for you

The long route was 151Km (a tad over 90M on my garmin) with over 4,000m of climbing but much, much tougher than suggested by those figures alone as the first 40Km is super fast (eg I got a new pb of 57:00 for the first 25M!) but then you come to the Teglio, which is 6km with a max of 18% and then the Mortirolo followed by 30Km along and back up the valley in a headwind to Bormio (with a section at 12%) before the 22Km monster that is the Stelvio....in itself a tough climb but after 130Km it was a beast....consistently at 10%-13% and the one flat section after about 12Km was into a strong headwind before you reached the snow which was 2 metres deep, the last few Km with snow, headwind, gusts, thin air and a gradient of 9%++ was very hard going...and it was surreal to pass people snowboarding as you climb above 2,500m to reach 2,758m at the summit 8)

Am I selling it to you ? :D

I reckon this will soon be recognised as one of the toughest, classic sportives so get in now before it becomes much, much bigger. This year there were less than 800 riders in total, only 250 or so who did the long one. Its got iconic climbs over a super-tough course, insanely fast Italian semi-pros racing at the front end, great foodstops, friendly volunteers and a lovely base in Bormio where you can explore the local mountains eg the Gavia (sadly closed due to snow when we were there). I can heartily recommend Hotel Funivia which is run by two cycling fans - Danielle was 3rd lady in the medium route - and totally geared up to cycling with daily led group rides (I got to chat to the swiss vet who took Fabian round the Olympic route as prep for the 2012 road race), great food (and sandwihes for the rides and a 'cyclists tea' after the ride), a secure bike garage fully equipped with workstands and tools..etc

D
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Dommyd

Good write up.

Half a dozen friends of mine were staying in the Funivia as well. Four of us booked later and found the Hotel San Lorenzo to be very pleasant - and 10 metres from the start is a benefit!!

I will never be a mountain goat - 6' 2", 13.5 stone - but entered the long event. I had to walk the concrete, 24% incline part of the Mortirolo, came nearly last, cramped on a regular basis and can vouch that it has to be the hardest sporting event I have ever participated in. So chuffed I even finished it.
  • pbp3975
    pbp3975 Posts: 420
    I would like to stress that I was not the 'muppet' who asked for a push, but would claim that I rode the whole goat track apart from the sharp left-hander near the very top of the steepest bit when I fell off sideways, still clipped in, and breaking the right shoe cleat bolt in the process.

As I lay underneath the bike, my heart rate subsided from 198 bpm (I am 54) to 153. I remounted and managed to ride the last section under extreme duress. This was by far the toughest climb of my limited experience, including Asterton Bank and The Devil's Staircase in a gale.

I can only echo dommyd's excellent summary of the event. Super tough, well organised, a 'must-do' sportive.
  • izza
    pbp3975 wrote:
    I would like to stress that I was not the 'muppet' who asked for a push, but would claim that I rode the whole goat track apart from the sharp left-hander near the very top of the steepest bit when I fell off sideways, still clipped in, and breaking the right shoe cleat bolt in the process.

As I lay underneath the bike, my heart rate subsided from 198 bpm (I am 54) to 153. I remounted and managed to ride the last section under extreme duress. This was by far the toughest climb of my limited experience, including Asterton Bank and The Devil's Staircase in a gale.

I can only echo dommyd's excellent summary of the event. Super tough, well organised, a 'must-do' sportive.

The BBQ at the top of the Mortirolo would have been nearly worth the climb had the meat been cooked by the time I got to the top. Never seen that on a UK sportive.

Overall the helpful nature of the organisers, officials, technical staff and volunteers gives a sense of their appreciation of how tough their event is and how much they want you to succeed - even when struggling you never quite feel that it is every man for himself.
  • nunowoolmez
    nunowoolmez Posts: 867
    Signed up to do this next year...bit scared now!
  • izza
    Signed up to do this next year...bit scared now!

You'll be fine............ if you start training now!! haha

Enjoy it. And don't panic about packing - there is a very nice bike shop opposite the swimming pool should you forget any items.
  • dommyd
    "there is a very nice bike shop opposite the swimming pool should you forget any items."

true indeed, a mate realised about 2km up the mortirolo on the friday before the event that he had come out with a 25 rear block....he went to the shop and they were happy to sort him out with an Ultegra 11-28 cassette but he baulked at the 99 euro price....tbh I think he just really wanted an excuse to not do the long route so he ended up being the only one of our group (which included one of only 4 ladies who did the long one) to do the medium. its fair to say he's been getting some teasing about that

also worth noting that the shops shut between 12.30 and 3/3.30 for lunch....

and don't stress about the event, you'll love the area and if you can get out a couple of days ahead there are lots of good climbs to practice and get your legs in before the event eg on Thursday we were led out for a "quick spin" that turned out to be a 9km climb at avg 7.5% up to the ski lift at Bormio 2000, the sort of thing that would feature as a "big climb' over here is merely a warm up over there !
  • izza
    dommyd wrote:
    ".....and don't stress about the event, you'll love the area and if you can get out a couple of days ahead there are lots of good climbs to practice and get your legs in before the event eg on Thursday we were led out for a "quick spin" that turned out to be a 9km climb at avg 7.5% up to the ski lift at Bormio 2000, the sort of thing that would feature as a "big climb' over here is merely a warm up over there !

I did review the website before the event and upon returning home. I don't feel the profile shown on the home page truly accurately reflects Teglio's importance (and size!) as a warm up for the Mortirolo. :lol::lol:

Going into the ride I was ready for a blip, not something that dwarfs Leith Hill.

I was also sceptical on the Race Info page how they manage to raise the apparent altitude of Bormio by the time we passed through it enroute to Stelvio. Having conferred with my tired/cramping legs, I can confirm they did. :wink:
  • nunowoolmez
    nunowoolmez Posts: 867
    I am off to the Alps for 2 weeks next month with the intention to climb all the classic tour Cols. This will my first time out there so it will be like going into uncharted territory for me, specifically with the sheer length of the climbs. The closest I have come is the climbs featured on the Dragon Ride, but I know they are still small in comparison! I have been slogging my butt off with training & got in plenty of ton or ton plus rides with lots of climbing & have got myself down to 66kg, so I feel I am prepared (ish).

Next year it will the Marmotte & the Santini.

Anyone done both this & the Marmotte? Which is tougher? Or the same?
  • On the website it says you must have a license to do the long route... Is this true ?