Mark Bridger

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
Surely this is a situation where a bit of waterboarding is called for?
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So of course he's guilty until provemn innocent?

I suspect some trolling here.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Another example of trial by media.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Remember the Bristol murder?

The red tops plastered the suspect's face all over the front of their papers and ruined the guy. I mean, really destroyed him.

Turned out he was totally innocent.

F*ckers.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    he has just been arrested on a murder charge
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I don't think it means too much that he's been arrested for murder as they were running out of time to hold him without charge....but actually I was being semi-serious and not totally trolling.

I don't think that the trial by media aspect is that important here - remember it was the police who released his name and photograph. They seem to be pretty certain that they have the right man.

If they have the right man then getting him to talk right off the bat could enable them to locate the girl immediately, potentially saving her life rather than slowly dying of thirst or exposure.

It's really rather an ethical dilemma and genuinely I don't know how I'd react if I found myself alone with him with a teatowel and a gallon of water handy.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    SimonAH,

"I don't think that the trial by media aspect is that important here - remember it was the police who released his name and photograph. They seem to be pretty certain that they have the right man"

All that was true in the Bristol case where the trashed the reputation of the poor girl's landlord. As Rick says.

If Bridger took her then I'm fear the worst. It would be in his interests for her to be found alive so ...
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Can anyone think of a case where the police had the guy and he let the victim die without telling them?
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    jedster wrote:
    SimonAH,

"I don't think that the trial by media aspect is that important here - remember it was the police who released his name and photograph. They seem to be pretty certain that they have the right man"

All that was true in the Bristol case where the trashed the reputation of the poor girl's landlord. As Rick says.

If Bridger took her then I'm fear the worst. It would be in his interests for her to be found alive so ...

(If he's guilty)Surely it's in his interests for her not to be found hence the long delay, no real evidence walk away

if he's innocent then he knows nothing
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    SimonAH wrote:
    I don't think it means too much that he's been arrested for murder as they were running out of time to hold him without charge....but actually I was being semi-serious and not totally trolling.

I don't think that the trial by media aspect is that important here - remember it was the police who released his name and photograph. They seem to be pretty certain that they have the right man.

If they have the right man then getting him to talk right off the bat could enable them to locate the girl immediately, potentially saving her life rather than slowly dying of thirst or exposure.

It's really rather an ethical dilemma and genuinely I don't know how I'd react if I found myself alone with him with a teatowel and a gallon of water handy.

Best not give people like murderers much thought.

There are people paid to deal with them professionally, so we don't have to give them the pleasure of being the centre of too many people's attentions .
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    mudcow007 wrote:
    he has just been arrested on a murder charge
    Just like the landlord in the Bristol case.

In one way I hope the guy the police have is guilty, if not then his life there is ruined.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Innocent until proven guilty.

The red-tops are full of such sub-human scum that The Mirror's front cover yesterday was a picture of a field with a man walking in it with the caption 'IS THIS THE MAN THAT TOOK APRIL?'

So, take heed. If you are walking in the countryside, journalists have the right to label you as a murderpaedo, apparently.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Colin Stagg?
    FCN = 4
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I think that even if he did take her, she is probably with some of his friends now doing things that even ITB doesn't have in his, ahem, private video collection.

I hope this isn't the case.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    Colin Stagg?
    Jean Charles De Menezes...
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    Colin Stagg?
    Rebecca Leighton?

Headlines like 'Is this the man that took April' are disgusting though

I've not read any news about the case short of seeing BBC/Guardian headlines and opening blurb as there's not a thing I can do and not a thing that would be useful to me or anyone else that would be gained by my knowing about it.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • peat
    edited October 2012
    The papers can write whatever they like, bookend the statement inbetween 'Could this/Is this' & '?', and run no risk of being done for libel.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Peat wrote:
    The papers can write whatever they like, bookcase the statement inbetween 'Could this/Is this' & '?', and run no risk of being done for libel.
    Maybe the Guardian should run a big red headline with the head of the Press Complaints Commission's mugshot saying "Is this the man that took April?"
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • SimonAH wrote:

He has talked and been arrested and police are now searching for the poor girls body, which its believed he placed in a bag and threw into the middle of the river.

The man is utter scum.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • peat
    'Did Mark Bridger kill April, put her body in a bag and throw it in the river?'