Need advice on the Muddyfox Hornet

omarm
omarm Posts: 73
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
I need some advice on the Muddyfox Hornet - I've received the bike, but see pictures below
Overall viewpoint: is it a good bike to buy??
I'm not planning to go into the deepet of forests and go wild - but don't want something that will break in 6 months time either

I saw a Muddyfox Hornet for sale on Argos for £80
Wow I thought, so I snapped it up quick time
Not available now, all sold out!

Muddyfox: I thought this was like the BMW of bikes (I don't actually know all that much about bikes so don't know if this is entirely true or not) - or at least believed to be a really good and reliable make

The bike had no reviews on Argos
After buying, I googled and cam across countless bad reviews!
INCLUDING many bad reviews from Argos buyers - they somehow missed the link for this on their website - very convenient
I emailed Argos straight away and told them not to post the bike if it meant that I would have to pay for postage if there was a problem with the bike (didn't get a reply to date - 3 days later)

Bike received today... a few problems
I've put the bike together now...

1. It's missing the wheel nuts on either side for the front wheel - so I haven't been able to ride
Tyres were deflated in any case
I called up and spoke to them - they can't send the nuts + they don't have any more of the bikes in stock!
I can get the nuts from any bike shop I know - but this is one of a few reasons why I can still return the bike for a refund

2. The back brakes has the wire sticking out. It hits the pedal
See the pic below:

OpVdQ.jpg

This is a problem right??
Should I try to fix? Or get replaced (which isn't possible as far as I can see)? Or go for a refund?

3. Even before unwrapping, I saw some brown 'stuff'
Brown is bad right? Brown = rust???

This is the pic before unwrapping:

zW9Qp.jpg

This is the pic after unwrapping AND wiping with a tissue several times:

mwYBD.jpg

There are tiny signs in many other places of browness

Should I just stop and request a return and refund now?

4. The other thing is: the bike is 19kg
OK... I purchased knowing this - I weighed up against the price + the fact that I was getting what I thought was a really good brand name
Should I get a refund a get something 2 or 3kg lower in weight??
I'm not going to be biking loads + my budget would be £120 - £130 max

Thanks in advance

Omar

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    It isn't very good at all, even without the problems you've got. Just send it back.

£120-130 will only really get you something decent in the second hand market, although you'll have to learn maintenance skills and get some basic tools.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    2. That's not a brake. Bend the cable.

Overall - send it back
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    Comes with missing components and discolouring........send it back.

Also not a very good mountain bike.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • omarm
    thanks for the quick replies guys

@mcnultycop: second hand bike?
    i don't think i'm experienced enough to make a good judgement!

i think i will send back in that case

2 alternatives for me to buy from:

h*lfords
    d*cathlon
    (not wanting to advertise them hence the stars) :)

h*alfords: like mcdonalds nearly one on every single corner
    the only thing is: i don't like the 'looks' of their bikes! too skinny for me - i like big and chunky
    please don't shoot me down for saying that!
    chunky ones seem to cost £150+

d*cathlon: they do have some good looking bikes
    but these are £170 for the the cheapest chunky ones
    (should i just wait for xmas??)
    also... i don't have one near me and i don't have a car with me now - sold a few days ago
    so only option is paying for postage (assuming they post)

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    What's a chunky bike?
  • omarm
    What's a chunky bike?
    erm... one that has a fat looking frame
    i just made that term up!

i've just looked at argos
    i see they have a Muddyfox Hypersonic - is that any good?
    £130 - didn't want to have to spend that much... but if its a good bike... i'd consider
    let me know
    thanks
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    What is it with people not mentioning Halfords or Decathlon?!!! This isn't the BBC!! And you mentioned Argos..... And Muddyfox. And McDonald's.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Cut your losses and send it back. Muddy Fox used to be great BITD. They sold out and are now generic BSO's.
    You won't get anything decent new for your budget. Buy second hand or save until you have at least £300.
    Around Decathlon Rockrider 5.3 or 3 minimum.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    omarm wrote:
    What's a chunky bike?
    erm... one that has a fat looking frame
    i just made that term up!

i've just looked at argos
    i see they have a Muddyfox Hypersonic - is that any good?
    £130 - didn't want to have to spend that much... but if its a good bike... i'd consider
    let me know
    thanks

It's not good. It's highly unlikely that a bike from Argos (clang) would be any good.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • cooldad
    As they have sent a faulty bike they are responsible for return postage under the distance selling regs.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • omarm
    cooldad wrote:
    Cut your losses and send it back. Muddy Fox used to be great BITD. They sold out and are now generic BSO's.
    You won't get anything decent new for your budget. Buy second hand or save until you have at least £300.
    Around Decathlon Rockrider 5.3 or 3 minimum.
    i could live with a 5.1 - this is £150
    they also have a 6.0 for £150 - but i assume this is not as good as a 5.3?
    "3 minimum"?? you mean 5.3 minimum?
  • omarm
    cooldad wrote:
    As they have sent a faulty bike they are responsible for return postage under the distance selling regs.
    ok... please please please tell me where u got this information from!

i have fallen victim of this problem :cry::cry::cry:

2 years ago, purchased a 12 inch foam mattress from a seller on ebay
    they sent a 10 inch one. i complained. they said sorry and offered a £30 refund. i said: no, i want a 12 inch. they said nothing - even after many more (polite) messages. i raised a dispute. paypal found in my favour and would give me a refund - but i had to send the damn mattress back - which weighs 10 tons! i ended up keeping (didn't even get the £30 refund offer) :(

recently, i purchased a table tennis table. i emailed the idi*ts and gave them pics of the table i wanted. they delivered the wrong table model!!! i called and complained. they said they had done nothing wrong. and said i could send back within 7 days for a full refund - but i had to send back the damn table at my own cost!

i complained to credit card company - who were pathetic.
    (i sold the table on eBay and made £60 profit though)

as far as i know, if u buy abc and get sent xyz, you are responsible for the costs of sending back - even if the item weighs 5 tons. this is not fair and makes no sense to me. doesn't matter if it weighs 1 once or 5 tons, if the company has sent the wrong item or a faulty one, they should pay for the return postage costs

sorry - this matter is just a sensitive point for me :)
  • cooldad
    No, you're not.
    You can even return stuff within 7 days at their expense. In fact it's up to them to arrange collection.
    http://whatconsumer.co.uk/returns-and-refunds/
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shoppi ... change#web

You need to do some Googling and reading, but the info should be on the Argos website somewhere, or they are in breach of the regs.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • omarm
    cooldad wrote:
    No, you're not.
    You can even return stuff within 7 days at their expense. In fact it's up to them to arrange collection.

You need to do some Googling and reading, but the info should be on the Argos website somewhere, or they are in breach of the regs.
    thanks for that, much appreciated. i'll read those links shortly

argos, in their defence, i looked at the terms and conditions: they say they will arrange for return at their own costs (i think this applies to all online purchases - though don't quote me on that)

regarding the bike: i'm going to go for decathlon. mind made up
    i like the looks of the bikes (ok, maybe a silly thing to say)
    and you guys recommend
    the only thing is: is buying a 5.1 or 6.0 for £150 really a bad idea? should i save a few pennies and invest in a 5.3?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Faulty goods have nothing to do with DSRs. If goods turn up faulty, reject them: the vendor pays for costs.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    The 5.1 is much better than the Muddy Fox, the 5.3 is actually really good for the cash, I've been looking at getting the girlfriend one.
  • omarm
    cooldad wrote:
    No, you're not.

ok, so i read both the links
    the second link doesn't mention sending back obligations and costs
    the first link does, but not clear
    specifically it says:

"Unless you are required to return the goods, and you were informed of this, your only obligations are to make the goods available for collection and to take reasonable care of them while they are in your possession."

well, the other company made me aware that i should bear the costs of returning and do so at my own expense
    does this cover them?

i'm actually now going to chase up my credit card company. i'm not happy with their service - that's another story in itself
  • supersonic
    If the goods are faulty on delivery, reject them (tell them this) and get them to collect them and refund. These are your rights. However you must do this pretty sharpish, usually within 14 days.
  • omarm
    supersonic wrote:
    Faulty goods have nothing to do with DSRs. If goods turn up faulty, reject them: the vendor pays for costs.
    but u can't reject them - the mattress for example needs to be opened and allowed 24 hours to expand
    vendor pays for costs: i sell on ebay loads. if i sell a faulty item, i *always* pay the return expenses - including envelope. i am not obliged according to ebay rules. for me, it's not fair for the buyer to be out of pocket for a sinlge penny if they have done nothing wrong.

let me know what u think
  • omarm
    @mcnultycop thanks for the last reply
    it think i'm certain to go for decathlon, but go for the 5.1. cash is tight at this moment in time. :(
    delivery is expensive though - it's £15

but... before i do anything... can someone say something about 6.0 - why is this only £150?
    thanks

(apologies for splitting this post into 2 threads! the replies have been great)
  • supersonic
    omarm wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    but u can't reject them - the mattress for example needs to be opened and allowed 24 hours to expand
    vendor pays for costs: i sell on ebay loads. if i sell a faulty item, i *always* pay the return expenses - including envelope. i am not obliged according to ebay rules. for me, it's not fair for the buyer to be out of pocket for a sinlge penny if they have done nothing wrong.

let me know what u think

Irrelevant - if the goods arrive faulty, you have the right to reject them. Seller incurs costs.
  • omarm
    supersonic wrote:
    omarm wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

let me know what u think

Irrelevant - if the goods arrive faulty, you have the right to reject them. Seller incurs costs.
    yes: this is logical and makes sense to me!
    but both the mattress seller and the table tennis table seller stuck to their guns and said that i had to pay for retrun costs
    can u give a link to anywhere where it says unambiguously that the seller pays for return costs if the item is faulty?

thanks
  • omarm wrote:
    let me know what u think

People have already done that. and they're stating facts, not just opinion.

If you don't agree with them that's fine, you're wrong, but it's still fine, it's your money.

Your comparisons to crap you've bought on ebay in the past are irrelevant. They were from individuals, who had probably stated "no returns" or sold as seen or some crap on their ads.

Argos is a completely different story.

You want something that says they'll pick it up free of charge? have you even bothered to check the argos returns page?
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/StaticDis ... efunds.htm

3rd point down.
    edit: and that's just if you change your mind. the bit about faulty goods is further down the page.

As for the rockrider 6.0. I'd not bother. the addition of the rear "suspension" adds nothing but weight at this sort of price.
  • omarm
    People have already done that. and they're stating facts, not just opinion.

If you don't agree with them that's fine, you're wrong, but it's still fine, it's your money.

Your comparisons to crap you've bought on ebay in the past are irrelevant. They were from individuals, who had probably stated "no returns" or sold as seen or some crap on their ads.

Argos is a completely different story.

You want something that says they'll pick it up free of charge? have you even bothered to check the argos returns page?
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/StaticDis ... efunds.htm

3rd point down.
    edit: and that's just if you change your mind. the bit about faulty goods is further down the page.
    thanks for the reply. much appreciated

i don't think u've read all my replies. in a subsequent reply i do state that i had afterwards found out that argos agree to take returns for free

with regards to the ebay seller - it was a company and not an individual seller. they are the biggest seller of memory foam mattresses on ebay. ultimately, i had to deal with paypal, they have rules of their own and live on their own planet.

you say it's fact - great... but please give me a link to a credible source where its stated quite clearly that the seller has to pay return costs if they send the wrong or faulty goods

i spoke to paypal at great length. i put it to them that if i purchased an item weighing 100g, say a mobile phone case, and was sent a ton of bricks by a seller, would i be responsible for sending back the ton of bricks??? the answer was: yes, you have to send back the ton of bricks. they added if ifelt that the seller had sent the bricks on purpose, this didn't change anything, except that i should report them to the police and take court proceedings against them.

trust me, i have spent many many hours of my life wasted chasing this damn problem for the different cases mentioned
    As for the rockrider 6.0. I'd not bother. the addition of the rear "suspension" adds nothing but weight at this sort of price.
    thanks for that. i'll avoid in that case. annoyingly, they don't state the weight of their bikes on the website. i'm looking to go for a 5.1.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    omarm wrote:
    Muddyfox: I thought this was like the BMW of bikes (I don't actually know all that much about bikes so don't know if this is entirely true or not) - or at least believed to be a really good and reliable make

Made me laugh a lot.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    omarm wrote:
    with regards to the ebay seller - it was a company and not an individual seller. they are the biggest seller of memory foam mattresses on ebay. ultimately, i had to deal with paypal, they have rules of their own and live on their own planet.

Paypal can't have their own rules, its UK trading standards.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    omarm wrote:

Made me laugh a lot.

This entire thread is a facepalm.
  • Briggo wrote:
    omarm wrote:

Made me laugh a lot.

I agree.

We started off talking about a bike which needed sending back. We're somehow now talking about a mattress and a table tennis set and ebays returns rules, which has absolutely nothing to do with MTB buying advice.

As such, this thread belongs in the CC, where it can get the attention it deserves.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Briggo wrote:
    omarm wrote:

Made me laugh a lot.

I agree.

We started off talking about a bike which needed sending back. We're somehow now talking about a mattress and a table tennis set and ebays returns rules, which has absolutely nothing to do with MTB buying advice.

As such, this thread belongs in the CC, where it can get the attention it deserves.

Standard internet forum discussion progress. Soon someone will compare someone else to Hitler and it will all end :shock:
  • supersonic
    you say it's fact - great... but please give me a link to a credible source where its stated quite clearly that the seller has to pay return costs if they send the wrong or faulty goods

Sale of Goods act - read it. Only applies to retailers though, not private individuals (though you still have rights)