First club ride tonight...

RandG
RandG Posts: 779
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
Went on my first ever club run tonight and kinda went like this....

Turned up, said hello, and we set off, 13 of us :shock: Bearing in mind, I'm 48, unfit and only had a bike a matter of weeks, I'm thinking, three young-ish females, one with trainers and riding flats, I should manage to hang in there...

We set off, I'm at the back, hanging in there, checks the pace after a few miles... :shock: at least 2 mph average than I've ever done :shock: then a small gap apears...then it gets bigger, then bigger, to a point where I can't haul them back, then we start to climb and their gone :lol:

However, one of the ladies comes back for me, as does one of the guys, then we set off on what to me is a mega climb, OMFG...I thought I was gonna explode :? but fair doos to the chap who hung with me the whole climb, if it wasn't for him I'd have turned back and went away on my own.

In summary, I am light years away from being fit enough to hang with those guys, however, it didn't help I got my nights mixed up and thought it was the flatter, beginners Tuesday ride :lol:

Comments

• lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Stick with it (or the slighly flatter, easier ride) and you'll soon be wondering why you ever struggled. I joined a club at the start of the year and on my first full club ride my legs went really badly on a slight hill towards the end. Now, I've stepped up to the fastest club run and my stamina and speed have improved markedly. Joining a club was one of the best things I've ever done - it's improved my cycling no end.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    You have just leared lesson #1...Never be fooled by what people ride or wear.

Also watch out for the young ones. They are far too light for their own good and have stamina the like i have only ever seen in movies (you know the ones where they chase people over fences, up fire escape, across roofs and through burning buildings or outrun an avalanche).

If they are competing they also have to be limited to the gearing they can use...bit still somehow seem to be able to average 25mph without using the large chainring on the front...there should be some kind of law against such blatant sculdugery :-)

Keep at it mate.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • d4evr
    d4evr Posts: 293
    RandG wrote:
    Went on my first ever club run tonight and kinda went like this....

Turned up, said hello, and we set off, 13 of us :shock: Bearing in mind, I'm 48, unfit and only had a bike a matter of weeks, I'm thinking, three young-ish females, one with trainers and riding flats, I should manage to hang in there...

We set off, I'm at the back, hanging in there, checks the pace after a few miles... :shock: at least 2 mph average than I've ever done :shock: then a small gap apears...then it gets bigger, then bigger, to a point where I can't haul them back, then we start to climb and their gone :lol:

However, one of the ladies comes back for me, as does one of the guys, then we set off on what to me is a mega climb, OMFG...I thought I was gonna explode :? but fair doos to the chap who hung with me the whole climb, if it wasn't for him I'd have turned back and went away on my own.

In summary, I am light years away from being fit enough to hang with those guys, however, it didn't help I got my nights mixed up and thought it was the flatter, beginners Tuesday ride :lol:

The Knapp? :twisted:
  • RandG
    The Knapp indeed.
  • d4evr
    :lol:
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    edited October 2012
    I guess it was through the Knapp village which is a drag and half followed by the Littleton climb which is a killer for the unaware ;-) I was working until 6 so couldn't make it last night but well done on your first run being the Thursday climber! Tuesdays are much easier - honest.

The club has a rule of only going at the pace of the slowest rider and this is 100% the fact on Tuesdays, but because Thursdays involve climbs the group is meant to stay together until the gradients start and they ‘should’ all wait at the top of Littleton until everyone has regrouped. Glad to see Brian and Katie looked after you.

I’ve been working daft hours lately (looks like Ally the Chairman has too) but should be out soon.

You’re doing all the right things Stuart. You’ll be in fine form for the Etape next May :-)
  • d4evr
    Yeah good on you for going out. I'm sure I will make it along one day.
  • RandG
    I can't emphasise how much help Katie and Brian were to me last night, without them I'd had peeled off a long way back, and wouldn't expect them to do that for me again.

I did learn a lot last night.

If riding in a group, whatever it takes, don't allow a gap to form.
    When someone says get on my wheel, they mean, a fag paper between their rear wheel and your front, not three feet.
    Always remember what day it is before you decide to go on a club run.
    My fitness isn't coming along as well as I thought it was.
    It takes more than good intentions to get fit enough.

In saying all that, now that I have taken the plunge to turn up, I will deffo be back, but on a Tuesday for now.

:D
  • I’m also pleased to hear about the rides increasing in size on the weekdays even with the nights drawing in. We seem to have picked up quite a few students, folk who’ve moved to the area and folk like yourself. The more the merrier I say (or the bigger the group the less time I need to spend on the front ;-))

Brian is a demon on the hills. Probably one of the best riders in the area.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    What club ride is this? :D Thistle, Wheelers?
  • Yip the Thistles. After a quiet summer the numbers have swollen (matron!). Get involved matey.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    I may do so! I get lonely trundling around the Carse on m'todd!
  • RandG
    I'd also suggest getting involved. I am easily the slowest and least fit out of everyone but have enjoyed both ,my outings with them. Not so sure I'd go out on the Thursday again for a good while though, not that I'm afraid of the Knapp, it's I just don't think it's fair having folk waiting on me, spoiling their run.