Recommend me some cheap used hardtails

mickisup
mickisup Posts: 295
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Teenagers are growing fast...and money is tight. I need to find both reasonably light used hardtails that won't break the bank but will be decent options given a couple of decent tyres and a clean up. Any bikes 5-7 years old that were good specs and won't weight a tonne that I can look out for on forums and eBay, ideally in 15" or 16" frame. Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends what will break the bank.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mickisup
    £150-£200 each
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    I ran a GT Avalanche 1.0 for a bit and was a great hardtail. Maybe not the best components but the frame was excellent and bomb proof. Can be picked up for next to nothing, but go for the 1.0.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • mickisup
    Cheers, will have a look, do recall how heavy it was? Mind you are comparing to an Apollo XC26 so I am hoping it must be a bit lighter!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Look out for Shoguns, bridge the gap between BSOs and better known names, reasonably spec ed and fairly light, used about £30-50.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Giant-Revel-B ... 500wt_1156

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Giant-Mountai ... 500wt_1203

best offer option on the womens, I'm sure the other is a revel 1 2012 so likely to go just over £200. For £200 though, Halfords should be removing those RRP's soon and doing some 'upto 50% of Carrera bikes' promo for christmas, PDI them yourself and they shouldn't fall apart.
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    You could probably get a c2008 Rockhopper for that sort of money. They were good pretty well specced bikes back then. My old 08 disc had deore kit, avid juicy brakes, Rockshox tora forks (coil)
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    chrisw333 wrote:
    You could probably get a c2008 Rockhopper for that sort of money. They were good pretty well specced bikes back then. My old 08 disc had deore kit, avid juicy brakes, Rockshox tora forks (coil)

This ^

I'd be looking at an '08 or even '07 Rockhopper. My '06 is still going strong. Use the frame for 80% of my Alpine riding and all the original components are still spot on albeit on a different frame now.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    mickisup wrote:
    Cheers, will have a look, do recall how heavy it was? Mind you are comparing to an Apollo XC26 so I am hoping it must be a bit lighter!
    Mine is just over 30lbs.... maybe 31? Cost me £235 - see my sig. It has been a great bike - doesn't *feel* heavy, but neither does it feel flimsy... very solid and reliable, and it's easy and fun to ride. Mine's done over 1,000 miles since I got it in February - I've spent a few quid on oil to service the fork, a couple of quid on replacing the headset bearings and I have a £13 replacement bottom bracket ready as that needs to be replaced - not bad given the riding conditions this year. I also needed a new wheel - but I think that's a comment on my riding!

EDIT: When I got this I was trawling for Avalanches and Rockhoppers. Both seem to me to be great bikes - fun to ride, last ages, and worth fixing up.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    GT Avalanche 1.0 (modified a bit) - 31.15 lbs with pedals (size L)
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Giant XTCs of 5-6 years old are light,reasonably priced and plentiful.

My 2006 model is still great to ride and built up with XT bits weighs less than 25lbs.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • chrisw333 wrote:

This ^

I'd be looking at an '08 or even '07 Rockhopper. My '06 is still going strong. Use the frame for 80% of my Alpine riding and all the original components are still spot on albeit on a different frame now.

Again, this ^

Just bought this exact bike (07 Rockhopper comp) for under £200 (link in my sig). For the money, can't fault it at all. I've got road tyres on it at the moment, but I'll be throwing some MTB tyres on there in winter and using it for XC too.