British Cycling membership

Philinmerthyr
Philinmerthyr Posts: 135
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
Is it worth getting a British Cycling membership?

The ride membership is £24 and includes some insurances and magazine discounts as well as discount at Wiggle and Halfords.

Comments

• dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    I think you can join with the Race membership at about half that price and still get the discounts
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    Use the code TforL12 to get membership for half price (£12). Its from the Transport for London webpage. I joined for the third party insurance. Well worth it I think. My Rouleur magazine should come soon hopefully.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • KentPhil wrote:
    Use the code TforL12 to get membership for half price (£12). Its from the Transport for London webpage. I joined for the third party insurance. Well worth it I think. My Rouleur magazine should come soon hopefully.

Thanks. I'll earn that back with discount at Wiggle in no time :)
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    does BC membership run a year from the date you join?
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    Yes, its an annual membership.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    KentPhil wrote:

cheers dude! :D £12 well spent!
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • I've signed up to.
    Thanks for the code, saving money always helps :)
  • paulg99
    paulg99 Posts: 55
    There's £10 cashback on quidco for BC membership aswell.
  • Everything about the membership is good. The insurance, the maps, the idea we are building an organisation that represents our interests is the most important part.
  • i still havent got my copy of rouleur - I only want it for the big cogs on page 3. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • houndlegs
    houndlegs Posts: 267
    I've just had a look into joining primarily for the wiggle discount. Wiggle are selling the shorts I want for £67.49 and British cycling with the discount are selling them for £65.99. Not much of a discount,is this the way the discount normally works?
    I think I'll still join for the other benefits, but a proper 12% discount would have been nice.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    houndlegs wrote:
    Not much of a discount,is this the way the discount normally works?

I believe the discount is off list price, and they sell a lot of stuff at least 10% below this anyway, so you'd only get the difference as an extra discount. I blame Wiggle.

Is there a BC membership discount that doesn't require you to sign up via direct debit? - the credit card option is disabled when you apply the TfL code.

The London Cycling Campaign seems to have similar insurance benefits, and it looks like they do 10% off at Evans:

http://lcc.org.uk/pages/offers-and-discounts

Does anyone know how this works? Do 'accessories' include clothing when you use the discount in-store?