Newbie on forums

kmackdci
kmackdci Posts: 79
edited March 2013 in MTB general
Hi, ive got a question, maybe wrong place to post but hoping i can get an answer lol.I have a boardman comp which was new in feb. the guy sold me it for 400£ with a SRAM x7 carbon rear derailleur x7 front and dt Swiss rims. I've since put hope hoops stans flows, Easton seatpost, shimano slx 180mm discs, hope qr skewers, hope seat post clamp. It's only 8 months old and it would seem I'd barely get what I paid originally for even with the brand new still warrantied gear on it. Am I being daft? Cos I am after a road bike, but bikes that are over 1 year old and had a lot more use and still practically standard hardly seem to loose any money? Can anyone explain this? Sorry if it seems dumb.
Giant defy 4. Sram force group and hope pro3 mavic open pro. 8.9kgs
Specialized P3 2000
Scott scale 60 custom

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No it just doesn't make sense. You can't sell it for what you want but other people get more?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Eh?

ok, seatpost, qr skewers, seatclamps etc are all worthless. They are not "upgrades" just different colours, they add no value to a bike, sorry if you thought they did.

The wheels may add a little, but flows are very heavy duty rims to stick on an XC bike, it's an odd matching. and is unlikely to add much value overall anyway.

Overall, it's not going to be worth much more than a bog standard one, so about £400 sounds about right assuming it's all in very good condition.

Or are you one of these people who takes the RRP of all the bits you've added and then add this onto what you think it's worth?
  • http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... s-11-45114
    Matter of opinion really......understand what you are saying.....your investment ,you would have hoped would have yielded more of a return even used
    But like most things once out of the showroom seems to deprciate quickly...strip it and sell the parts for a better return
    Wheels get.a very good write up..heavy? Better than average I would say
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/wheel-sets/product/review-stans-ztr-alpine-rims-on-hope-pro-2-evo-hubs-11-45114
    Matter of opinion really......understand what you are saying.....your investment ,you would have hoped would have yielded more of a return even used
    But like most things once out of the showroom seems to deprciate quickly...strip it and sell the parts for a better return
    Wheels get.a very good write up..heavy? Better than average I would say
    err investment.

if you want an investment invest your money.

if you want to ride a bike go ride it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Personally i'd take the wheels off and sell them seperately. Doubt many people want a boardman comp to do the sort of thing Flows are built for, so it kind of makes them less valuable when attached to that bike.

Anyway hard luck but you have kind of messed up there.
  • wow
    my use of the word investment was obviously wrong - it was meant in a hypothetical and satirical way :oops:
    well known fact that your investmen can go down as well as up ?
    checked oxford dictionary for clarification - interesting comment in there "freezers really are a good investment for the elderly"
    i think i owe you an appology - should have used the word purchase - only expressing an opion ... split bike and sell parts :idea:
    some like stans wheels and some dont - some like boardman and some dont
    odd thing is this very forums review pages rate them both

but again only an opion

posted on my Ipad mini while riding - hands free i might add :shock:
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It's a 6 month old thread, which you've resurrected with some incoherent babble, and a link to a set of wheels that aren't even what the OP has.

Huh?
  • spend a lot of time reading and thought this appeared to be a good forum , with helpful and informative info
    all i have done is pass a comment on someone elses plight/ concern
    to me the incoherent babble is from those picking holes in words that were obviously confusing to the issue
    the wheels for your info are the ones suggested bought and fitted and given a good right up ie light and strong
    unlike the comment heavy and unsuitable...again opinions - more incohernet babble to follow
  • njee20
    No they aren't. The wheels you've linked to are the Alpine rim, which is a lightweight XC rim, and appropriate for the OP's bike.

The OP actually bought Flows, which are a much heavier, burlier rim, hence the comments about them being unsuitable.

They are both Hope Hoops, but that's it.
  • you are right I have added wrong link - sorry
    when Im wrong I'll admit it - should be http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... t-12-46215
    which is still rated lighter and better than most standard applications

is this now coherent babble LOL
  • njee20
    Yes, much improved.

No one said they're not good wheels, just that they're an odd choice for a very XC focused bike. World Cup DH racers have used the Flow rim. Where there are other, more XC options, such as the Crest or the Alpine available for exactly the same money it's a very odd choice. Yes they're lighter than many, but still over kill.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Wow i didn't even realise the thread was so old :lol:
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    you are right I have added wrong link - sorry
    when Im wrong I'll admit it - should be http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... t-12-46215

still 5 months since the OP though
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    you are right I have added wrong link - sorry

Judging from the 'LOL' you do have a CAPS button. Use it and you'll at least appear more coherent.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools