Long ride checklist?

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited October 2012 in MTB general
I know these have been done again and again, but am I missing anything off the list below?

Got our 50 mile charity ride on Saturday so I'm starting to put stuff together :) Its a mixed group that I'll be with, some will turn up with just a bike, helmet and drink so I'm trying to cover all the bases just in case.

Essentials
Phone
Wallet
Keys
Map

Riding Kit
Trainers
Socks
Padded short inner
Shorts
Baselayer
Riding top
Riding jacket
Waterproofs
Buff
Helmet
Gloves + spare
EVOC
Hydration bladder

Spares + Tools
Shock pump
Wheel pump
Puncture repair kit
Inner tube
Tyre levers
Multitool x2
1st aid kit
Cable ties

Food
Jelly babies
Energy gel
Snack/Sandwich

Thanks!

Comments

• Sounds about right with a couple of notes:

I assume the shock pump, 2nd multitool and spare gloves are in case anyone else has forgotten theirs?

I'd take 2 tubes, just 'cos it's easy.
    What about riding glasses / lenses?
    Don't forget Split links and a chain splitter if you've not got one on your multitool

If poss, can you give someone a change of clothes, a damp towel and a bit of grub for the finish line?
  • cool, cheers :)

Shock pump is for me, RL has air forks so just in case really.
    2x multi tool because one has better Allen keys and the other has a chain tool!
    Spare gloves in case its peeing it down or for anyone else... It's a pretty open route so if its wet it'll be freezing!

Don't wear glasses while riding, but yeah 2 tubes then!

Grub will be in the pub after, I'll be on ma tod so might have to ask the Mrs to bring a change!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Only thing missing on your list is the bike - don't forget it.
    Had a guy turn up without his wheels once - took them off to get the bike in the car, leant them against a wall and...
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    space blanket

bottle of plonk and a picnic hamper if you have room
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    I presume you will be spreading the kit amongst other people? I've done a few of these now 50/75/100+m one of the problems can be carrying too much gear, I would look at the weather and wear what you would normally ride in those conditions but take a good quality lightweight packable with you.

Also if you can, pack a much as possible on your bike - strap tubes, pump etc round your seat post:

These are rather good, used one at Kielder the stuff didn't budge all day

maybe put a feed pack on your top tube, weight on your bike is more comfortable for an all day ride, a hefty camelback can really take its toll after long hours in the saddle.

Enough fluid for the distance
    pump; spare inner tubes (even if you run tubeless);
    basic toolkit
    spare brake pads
    space blanket
    windproof jacket/gillet
    spare food
    money
    phone

I would also suggest a crud catcher/neogard... nothing worse than riding round all day in the wet getting mud & shit in your face
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • bloghog
    bloghog Posts: 40
    I would add a chain splitter and spare links plus space blanket and if you are riding as a group spread the kit out between you and don't duplicate too much, you probably don't all need to carry a shock pump each for example.
  • Took all of my list in my bag :)

Ended up riding on my own because the others were far too slow!

EVOC pack was brilliant, hardly knew it was there!