1983 Roy Cottingham

Meirionatron
Meirionatron Posts: 154
edited October 2012 in Your road bikes
I got given my grand dads old bikes a few months ago, so far this is the only one I have got running, some of the parts did not suit me so there are some modern parts, but I think it still looks quite nice, it also ride buttery smooth, it is fun to have a change from a modern road bike :) Let me know what you think.

Sorry about the pic, it is dark outside so every time I take a photo it is blurry, so please excuse the cluttered garage.

DSCF5104.JPG

Frame: 1983 Roy Cottingham Custom Made Frame 59cm ST, 57cm TT (Built for my grand dad in 1983)
Forks: Vitus Dural
Bars: Orbea OS Aero 44cm (Modern bar, but looking for a vintage one)
Stem: ITM OS 12cm (Waiting for a my new 13cm 3TT quill to be delivered)
Headset: Cone bearing headset (says RED on the top bolt, so I'm guessing that is the make)
Bar Tape: Black leather tape found in grand dads parts collection

Brake Lever: Tektro RL340
Brake Calipers: Vintage Campagnolo (with new brake pads)

Shifters: Suntour Accurist (bought for £6, saving up for some better ones, my grand dad used thumb shifters which I cannot get used to)
Cables: Jagwire
Front Mech: Suntour Tripple (Don't know model)
Rear Mech: Simplex (Don't know model)

Seat: Giant (borrowed from my parts box)
Seat Post: Campagnolo Record
Seat Post Clamp: Cheap one from ribble

Cranks: Stronglight Tripple (Don't know model)
Chainring(s): 56/48/36
Chain: KMC
Cassette: Millard 7 Speed 13-23
Pedals: Shimano MTB Clipless
Bottom Bracket: Campagnolo Record

Front Wheel:
Rim: Mavic G 40
Hub: Millard
Tire: Vittoria Rubino (Looking for some which look better)

Back Wheel:
Rim: Mavic G 40
Hub: Millard 7 Speed
Tire: Vittoria Rubino (Looking for some which look better)

Weight: 10.2kg

I have logged 330 miles so far on this bike, it is quite fun to ride especially with the 56 ring, makes a change from the 53 on my road bike. I have 7 other bikes passed down from my grand dad (including some weird titanium framesets my grand dad built which I will be restoring soon) so I have quite a lot of work to do :) I may even re-finish the frame when I can get some good decals made.

Comments

• Only changes are the ones you are going to make... tyres and a proper quill... and you are invincible!
    left the forum March 2023
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    hip hip honalom... :D:D:D:D:D
  • lovely bike. i prefer the older ones to the new ones.
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    lovely bike i was going to moan about the stem too but happy to see your putting a quill one back on, all is well with the world .
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • DSCF5113.JPG

Made a few changes, 3T 130mm quill stem, 3T Morpheus Bars, Continental Ultra Race Tyres (Still looking for some nice amber walled tyres if anyone has any?) and chucked my old road bike pedals (Ultegra 6700).

It is lovely to ride and I think it looks rather good, waiting on some campy shift levers and rear derailleur to be delivered :) Did a 120 mile group ride last weekend and it was really comfy and a point of interest for the other group members, its nice to have one of my grand dads old bikes up and running with some more miles being put into it, now onto the next bike build...
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Your grandad rode a 56T? Cool :-) Looks much better with that stem
  • Some history on "Roy" he was one of the good guys :)

http://www.tlicycling.org.uk/History.aspx
  • I have his old lo-pro titanium TT bike which has a 60t on it, he was a big guy so he had a little more power than me, don't think I'll be pushing 60t anytime soon.

I looked up a lot on Roy Cottingham, he contributed a good amount to British cycling and was well known for his detailed lug work (sadly I have one of his more simple frames), I even have some of his old catalogs from the 1980s which my grand dad kept, his show frame sets are among the best I have ever seen in my opinion.