Another day at the cold face

muzzan
muzzan Posts: 203
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
Hi,

Simple question... what does everyone do about their face being painfully cold in these early mornings now that the temperature is dropping (esp here in glasgow). Obviously MTFU is an option. Wearing a balaclava is surely a last resort though (with safety implications for side vision etc).

Prob asked and answered before but to be honest I fancied using the subject heading ;-)

Cheers

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I MTFU, but then London cold and Glasgow cold aren't the same
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • You need a buff!
    '12 CAAD 8 Tiagra
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Get up later?

What would I know :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Windproofs and a baselayer.

including some windproof headgear
  • You need a buff!
    +1
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    You need a buff!

Correction - you need two buffs. Or more than two. Or at least one half fleece, half normal. Just get some buffs.

And some decent gloves, and some decent feet layers. Everything else can be sorted relatively easily.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Cycling in the buff when it is cold is ALWAYS a good idea.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • muzzan
    muzzan Posts: 203
    OK then, buff looks a good shout, thanks guys! Hadnt heard of them to be honest but will be investing shortly. Any particular ones recommended?

The rest of me is pretty much covered (literally & metaphorically). Got the gloves, tights, base layers, windproof jackets etc, but was a bit alarmed by how painful my face was last couple of mornings & we're nowhere near freezing yet, its only going to get colder...

As you can tell I've never cycled through the winter before so bit apprehensive... another thought I had this morning was that when it gets really cold the absolute last thing in the world you want is a puncture. OK, maybe being mashed by an artic would be marginally worse...
  • I go with a helmet liner cap - just got a new Gore one which seems great, then I have a buff around my neck, which can be pulled up at the back and over my ears.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    muzzan wrote:
    OK then, buff looks a good shout, thanks guys! Hadnt heard of them to be honest but will be investing shortly. Any particular ones recommended?

The rest of me is pretty much covered (literally & metaphorically). Got the gloves, tights, base layers, windproof jackets etc, but was a bit alarmed by how painful my face was last couple of mornings & we're nowhere near freezing yet, its only going to get colder...

As you can tell I've never cycled through the winter before so bit apprehensive... another thought I had this morning was that when it gets really cold the absolute last thing in the world you want is a puncture. OK, maybe being mashed by an artic would be marginally worse...

Start with a thin one and work your way up.

I've got one that's part fleece and part windstopper and if its above -5c then it's too warm. Also, the thicker it is the less likely you are to pull it over you face and breath through it.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I go with an ear warmer to keep my lugs warm and a buff I got from Decathlon in Glasgow.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Merino buff. Win.
  • Don't ride with a freshly shaved face. I find if I keep my ears and neck warm the rest of my face is fine. Hell, it's better than fine - it's bl00dy gorgeous. :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Cut a large central hole in your lycra and let the old man swing free. Your face will feel toasty warm.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Don't ride with a freshly shaved face. I find if I keep my ears and neck warm the rest of my face is fine. Hell, it's better than fine - it's bl00dy gorgeous. :wink:

Actually, following a clippers mishap when I had to stubble my beard to hide the carnage that ensued, I could actually feel the slipstream vortex from my chin on my neck for a coupla days. This is true.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • muzzan wrote:
    Hi,

Simple question... what does everyone do about their face being painfully cold in these early mornings now that the temperature is dropping (esp here in glasgow). Obviously MTFU is an option. Wearing a balaclava is surely a last resort though (with safety implications for side vision etc).

Prob asked and answered before but to be honest I fancied using the subject heading ;-)

Cheers

Warm hat is about as much as I'll drop to, But I run warm at best of times any how.

While I now live in London I used to and my folks live in them hills so I'm aware that it can get -5 -10 -15 -20 each point having a bit more bite to it.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    muzzan wrote:
    Hi,

Cheers

Beard.

...it only needs a couple of mm. Earlobes are my weak spot- I've lost skin due to windburn/frost-nip in recent years...

Cheers,
    W.
  • +1 to the beard. Grew one a couple of winters ago and haven't really got rid of it.

If you can't do the beard, shave in the evenings. It stops the cold attacking your freshly-shaved skin.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Down to -6 last winter all I needed was a thin cotton muff to keep the windchill at bay, teamed up with a cheap T base layer and Aldi's best softshell and gloves and I'm toasty, 3/4 length cotton shorts (past the knee's) complete my look.

I did have to take the buff off one day when it tried to kill me (breath frozen solid across the mouth area!)

If you're cold, PEDAL HARDER!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    My anti-smog/pollution mask (the respo city one) acts a really good buffer between the cold and my face :)
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Down to -6 last winter all I needed was a thin cotton muff to keep the windchill at bay

Best quote ever.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Stubble and make sure the rest of the body is toasty warm - a nice winter hat helps. Seems to work for me even in sub-zero temps.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Holey Moley - I honestly think MTFU is the best approach for now. My face stays bare until around -5C. My ears are perfectly attuned to freezing point and that's when they need covering (buff or headband) - around the same time as the studded tyres make an appearance. But honestly, if you start covering up now (or, god forbid, grow facial hair) you'll have nowhere to go when winter arrives
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    definitely a case of MTFU, it's not been cold enough to break out protection for the ears yet
  • kevess
    kevess Posts: 186
    iPete wrote:
    Merino buff. Win.
    +1