Changing a triple ring xt crankset to single?

always4lora
always4lora Posts: 28
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi' Guys,

I have a triple ring shimano xt crankset, i want to go down to one ring and i am quite happy with just using the middle, can you advise what i will need to buy to get this to work? Or is it as simple as taking my outer rings off and just re-attachiing the crank arms?

Also is a chain guide needed? If so which is the best one to go for that isnt ISCG mounted one as according to this: http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/heckler/faq.php i don't have the mount, go with one of the ones they've suggested or is there something newer?

The reason for the downgrading is i don't need the other rings for the riding i do, will save weight with and hassle with the front derailleur

Comments

• remove all 3 rings and by a single speed ring, most popular size's are 32t 34t or 36t, these rings dont have ramped teeth like a triple chainset ring, so in theory dont need a chain device, you will also need new singlespeed crank arm bolts as your triple ones will be to long, as for chain device superstar plasma device is decent and is also available in bottom bracket mounting which sounds like what your looking for
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Remove crank arm, remove inner and outer rings, refit middle with either shorter bolts or a ring thickness bash.

You'll need a chain guide, go for either BB mount or seat tube mount, you can use a front mech locked off on the H&L stops.

Remove frnt cable and shifter!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for the advise, are bolts fairly standard sizes for a single ring and bash gaurd? My LBS doesnt sell them so would need to buy online.
  • if your fitting a bash guard your current bolts should be fine, if you run just a single ring alone you will need shorter bolts
  • The Rookie
    You WILL need a chain guide, whether you run a ramped or plain ring. Ellesbelles clearly never tried it!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I took off the inner and outer chainrings, replaced the centre ring with a new 36T one.

No chainguide needed for me, at least so far, been perfect.

Best mod so far, and looks great.

al
  • The Rookie
    Once the chain 'loosens up' you'll almost certainly find it jumping off, mine did using an SS specific Saint chainring, it used to jump off during shifts.
  • put a deposit down on an SS+ e thirteen guide and bash gaurd, was £85 and they'll fit it for me at Grizedale Bikes so nipping back nezt sunday for that to be fitted.
  • if the shop sold them then maybe, i like Grizedale bikes so don't mind putting money their way
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I had to cut off the granny ring tabs off my xt crankset to get it to fit with my LG1 chain guide. Also fitted an e13 guide ring AMD bought e13 bolts to replace the longer ones from when it had 3 rings
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • oodboo wrote:
    I had to cut off the granny ring tabs off my xt crankset to get it to fit with my LG1 chain guide. Also fitted an e13 guide ring AMD bought e13 bolts to replace the longer ones from when it had 3 rings

Yeh the guy said he'll need to chop some tabs off so it doesnt scrape, if i remember correctly he's got spare crank bolts too. Just because i'm lazy he's changing my rear deraileur cable too :)