Shimano Cleats red and yellow

teisetrotter
teisetrotter Posts: 342
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
Red and yellow, Fixed and floating ............ any idea of the difference or reason for it. Seems strange to go for a fitting and then have them floating around.

My SPD - SL's however came with the yellow floating variety.

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    If the fitting isn't dead on then its probably not wise to use fixed.

Some people do get on well with them though -> I guess its personal preference.
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    When Look introduced the first commercially successful clipless pedal circa 1985 which I loved - no more cold feet in the winter from the compression of the toe strap (giving my age away here) the only option was a fixed cleat which meant you had to get the alignment spot on otherwise the knees doth protest!

The floating type are probably your best bet (unless you are a keen sprinter type who prefers the more rigid feel) personally I use the yellow. You have probably noticed from the Olympics that the track sprinters still use toe clips (often with two toe straps for each foot) for maximum security.

Essentially as earlier posting stated its down to personal preference.

Regard

Alan
    Regards
    Alan
  • I believe that the track sprinters in the olympics used toes clips and were clipped into the pedal - they effectively used both systems.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    If the fitting isn't dead on then its probably not wise to use fixed.

Some people do get on well with them though -> I guess its personal preference.

Badly fitted cleats whether no float or floating can cause issues.
    Just because they 'float' does not mean you get away with it.
    I use non float Look out of personal preference - a neater pedal system for me.
    Just never liked the wafty non precise feel you get with float.