OT - Best bits of SE london?

Koncordski
Koncordski Posts: 1,009
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
Ok, always lived west and south west of london. Would like to move east for the possibility of getting a house, have owned a series of flats and now seriously bored with the usual issues associated. Service charges, noise, building permissions etc etc.

Would love to find something along the lines of a Victorian terrace with a small garden. Not worried about good schools and all that malarkey yet. Just need somewhere within 15miles of canary wharf/isle of dogs that isn't going to get me killed on the way back from the station on a friday night.

Looking at crossrail throws up some destinations but I have it on good authority that abbey wood (crossrail station) is a bit of a dive and has a large travellers site right in the centre. How about peckham etc? Anbody know where is a spot to start looking, i literally have no idea. Need a 2 bed terrace for a max of about £350K, that would buy you a 5 bed house in abbey wood, makes me suspicious! :roll:

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
#2 Boeris Italia race steel
#3 Scott CR1 SL
#4 Trek 1.1 commuter
#5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)

Comments

• Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Certain bits jusat outside woolwich are fine shooters hill where I am is nice the further up you go, eltham/bexley over the other side of the hill has some nice spots too, I agree though abbey wood is a bit of a dive and so is out towards thamesmead
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    I'd start looking in Brockley, St Johns, Honor Oak Park and the bits of Lewisham from the station (with DLR and trains directly to 5 termini) up the A20 towards New Cross.

I live on a road off the A20 up near Hilly Fields and am very happy there.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    2 bed terrace for THREE HUNDRED AND FIFTY THOUSAND POUNDS?????

that gets you this:

40374_100111000303_IMG_00_0001_max_620x414.jpg

round here
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Not sure how good it is for you travel wise, but you'd probably get what you are after close(ish) to Crystal Palace. The triangle is getting better all the time for shops, bars and restaurants.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Lived in SE London all my life. Luckily now live in Bexley Village on the very outskirts (Kent postcode :D ) which is nice but I cannot think of one nice place in SE London. Used to live Eltham which a complete dive. Abbey Wood is awful as is Woolwich, Plumstead, Thamesmead, Deptford and Greenwich.

Sidcup isn't bad and Bexleyheath is very suburbia.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052

that gets you this:

round here

But if you don't work around there it's a bit of a moot point, supply and demand...
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    Yup Palace. Bits of Lewisham, e.g. Brockley, Hither Green, Blackheath end of central Lewisham.
    East Dulwich?
    Cheaper bits of Greenwich which are quite convenient e.g. Westcombe Park. Charlton. Not very exciting around there though.

Of course, you could move a little further out and be closer to the countryside for weekend riding. That's what I did after living in Lewisham / Blackheath for a while.
  • phy2sll2
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Lived in SE London all my life. Luckily now live in Bexley Village on the very outskirts (Kent postcode :D ) which is nice but I cannot think of one nice place in SE London. Used to live Eltham which a complete dive. Abbey Wood is awful as is Woolwich, Plumstead, Thamesmead, Deptford and Greenwich.

Sidcup isn't bad and Bexleyheath is very suburbia.

Yeah... None of those places are nice (exception Greenwich), but that isn't a complete inventory of SE London - that's all east of Greenwich and by the river.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    For a young guy without kids I'd say Palace, Greeneich or East Dulwich. There are nice pockets around though, but also s lot of sh1t. I'm a bit further out in Beckenham which is great as a family man but the night life ain't all that. Still, I usually go out midweek centrally, and transport is good, but pre-kids I probably would have wanted somewhere a bit more "hip".
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    If you move nearby Maze Hill you can be scalped by me, Ben and Alvaro on the way in :twisted:

I'm looking to buy around that way at the moment. Greenwich proper is out of the question for 350k. Maze Hill and Westcombe Park are more feasible, though houses are quite thin on the ground. Bits of Charlton are crap and bits are alright, same on the way up toward Blackheath (Blackheath can be very pricey though).
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • phy2sll2 wrote:
    Yup Palace. Bits of Lewisham, e.g. Brockley, Hither Green, Blackheath end of central Lewisham.
    East Dulwich?
    Cheaper bits of Greenwich which are quite convenient e.g. Westcombe Park. Charlton. Not very exciting around there though.

Of course, you could move a little further out and be closer to the countryside for weekend riding. That's what I did after living in Lewisham / Blackheath for a while.

There's no way on earth you'll get any kind of house in East Dulwich for £350K.
  • phy2sll2
    BigMat wrote:
    I'm a bit further out in Beckenham which is great as a family man but the night life ain't all that.

Hey, I spent many a great night in Langtrys as a youth.

Now there's 'Bridge Bar' and 'Fusion'. The anthropologist in me is fascinated by the specimens in the queue for those places.
  • phy2sll2

Denmark Hill end?
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I live in Brockley... Very up and coming. You might get a 2-3 bed house for £350 in Brockley, Crofton Park, St Johns, Nunhead etc. I think East Dulwich is already out of your budget. But all the areas above are zone 2/3 so relatively central and transport is pretty good. Blackheath and Greenwich will be out of budget. Crystal Palace, Gypsy Hill etc etc are quite nice but more like zone 3/4 so further out but CP has the triangle with its cafes, bars and restaurants...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Headhuunter
    phy2sll2 wrote:

Denmark Hill end?

May be at a squeeze....
  • Try Brockley: its really coming up, not sure if it will fit to the budget (sold a 2bed ex-council for 220k recently) but you need to have a look. it's about 15 mins away from CanWarf or 25 by bike (the long route I take).
    brockleycentral.blogspot.com has a very good coverage what's going on, shops, services ect.
    I loved living there, good parks, nice leafy wide roads and easy access to london.
  • Headhuunter
    phy2sll2 wrote:

Denmark Hill end?

May be at a squeeze....

Even then I doubt it, friends of mine had to pay £500k for a 3 bed terrace near Ruskin Park last year for 350k you'd need to be looking at a good house on a sh!t road, like next to a drug den in Loughborough Junction or a sh!t house on a good road that basically needs rebuilding or something....
  • Headhuunter
    hegyestomi wrote:
    Try Brockley: its really coming up, not sure if it will fit to the budget (sold a 2bed ex-council for 220k recently) but you need to have a look. it's about 15 mins away from CanWarf or 25 by bike (the long route I take).
    brockleycentral.blogspot.com has a very good coverage what's going on, shops, services ect.
    I loved living there, good parks, nice leafy wide roads and easy access to london.

I cycle from Brockley to Fleet Street in about 20 mins on a good day so it's very accessible.... Prices are shooting up though, 1 of our neighbours bought a 2 bed flat in Brockley in 09 for about 240k and have just sold it for 315k having made minimal changes, pretty good investment over a couple of years!
  • ariba
    ariba Posts: 48
    phy2sll2 wrote:

Denmark Hill end?

you might find something in Hither Green for that price. quick into the city/west end & easy access to kent for the weekend training.

some good strava routes both ways also.
    --

Battaglin C13 (white)
    Cube Analog (green/white)
    Decathlon 7.3 (yellow)
    Pinnacle Arkose 3 (grey)
    Looking for bike n+1
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    I have lived in Bromley for 15 years now - various areas for young and old and types of housing close in like Beckenham - I live in Sundridge Park - tends to be larger houses of the more expensive variety but there is a good mix and it is close in but quieter but it is not so cheap - but then again it is about 2/3rds the price of places like Dulwich.

Bromley has the lowest crime rate of all London Boroughs as well and about 11-13 miles into city and 15 mins to victoria
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Thanks for all the suggestions, that's a whole saturday of Google searches right there! Always do places up so looking for a wreck with potential!

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    edited October 2012
    I haven't seen Forest Hill/Honor Oak Park mentioned, both stations on the overground and trains to London Bridge. A short hop to Herne Hill Velodrome and Crsytal Palace (for the crits or 50m pool). Lots of new coffee places opened up recently so a good indicator. It's council pool has just reopened. A short walk to Dulwich Park without the Dulwich prices. P4 to Brixton for the Ritzy Cinema and clubs. Overground to Decathlon for cheap good bike bits, Vaidas Cycles in HOP and Finches (ski/snowboard/MTB - bit of road) in Forest HIll. Half an hour to the countryside by bike.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

that gets you this:

round here

Will barely get you a flat round here.
  • Koncordski wrote:
    Thanks for all the suggestions, that's a whole saturday of Google searches right there! Always do places up so looking for a wreck with potential!

other option if you like SW london is the hamptons/twick and further up river Walton.

Houses can be had for 350K and while it is further away it's not by much.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    The wrong side of the river, so...:
    duncan-bannatyne.jpg
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Another vote for Beckenham.

Commute in by bike is easy, with hilly or flat options. Takes me about 45 mins. Trains are pretty good too.

I do find myself wanting to live further out though (i.e Westerham way), but the commute in by push bike would knacker me - I doubt I would even entertain that option! As it is now, 5 days a week is no problem :)
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    nich wrote:
    Another vote for Beckenham.

Commute in by bike is easy, with hilly or flat options. Takes me about 45 mins. Trains are pretty good too.

I do find myself wanting to live further out though (i.e Westerham way), but the commute in by push bike would knacker me - I doubt I would even entertain that option! As it is now, 5 days a week is no problem :)

A downvote for Beckenham
    I grew up in Penge, which is a hole. I did spend many hundreds of evenings in 'Nam but it doesn't seem to have any character :|
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Headhuunter
    Koncordski wrote:

other option if you like SW london is the hamptons/twick and further up river Walton.

Problem with south west is that you need to move quite far out to zone 4+ to get anything in that sort of budget, whereas Brockley, St John's etc are zone 2-3 so in terms of cost of public transport it's cheaper....
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,061
    BigMat wrote:
    For a young guy without kids I'd say Palace, Greeneich or East Dulwich. There are nice pockets around though, but also s lot of sh1t. I'm a bit further out in Beckenham which is great as a family man but the night life ain't all that. Still, I usually go out midweek centrally, and transport is good, but pre-kids I probably would have wanted somewhere a bit more "hip".
    What he said.

There is night life in Beckenham, but probably not the sort you want.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Koncordski wrote:

Problem with south west is that you need to move quite far out to zone 4+ to get anything in that sort of budget, whereas Brockley, St John's etc are zone 2-3 so in terms of cost of public transport it's cheaper....

sure, though where OP is now is zone 6 so a move over to one of the swallowed villages is unlikely to be more expensive,

But yes for the same money he could get closer to his work.