air fork set up

ellsbells1973
ellsbells1973 Posts: 537
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I have an Sr epicon fork and am trying to set the sag, however if I release air to get the required sag the available travel also drops from a 140mm fork to around 130mm, am I doing something wrong or is this normal

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Sounds like you are letting out too much air. How much pressure do you have in the fork?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • There is 140 in the fork at moment about 15psi less than required for my weight, if i pump recommended psi travel goes to 140 but I only have 10mm sag
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Are you setting the sag sitting on the bike in 'attack' position?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I am gently getting on bike against a wall with kit on holding front brake, trying not to give to much adverse movement
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    If you try too hard, you'll not be testing the sag. Does it have a rubber band on the leg? If not, add a zippie to one leg, put it all the way to the bottom, and ride up and down the street. That will test it properly.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The more you inflate the fork the more it pulls against the negative spring, exposing more stanchion. Sounds like the way the fork is. Ride it, see how it feels, then change the pressure if it feels too soft/hard.
  • Cheers for the help, I will make do with a smidgen less travel for a plusher fork, I'll just take shock pump with me to whinlatter tomoz if its too soft, trial and error me thinks