HELP please, clueless! Reebok specialized OR Shimano Quasar

fcr1980
fcr1980 Posts: 5
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

Looking at a second hand mountain bike as a gift for partner. He just wants something to ride to uni and back and money is tight. I know nothing about bikes (nor does he!) but would still like to get the best I can for my limited budget and not something that will fall apart he's quite a solid built guy!

Can anyone tell me about these bikes

Reebok specialized mountain bike as described: Front disc brake and rear v- brake. Front shock absorbers. (Zoom) and excellent frame damping shock. 24 gears with slick easy changes. Alloy handle-bar extensions and mud-catcher mudguards. Aluminium 6061 custom tubing frame.

Mens "shimano Quasar" Special Edition Mountain Bike. Front And Rear Suspension Carbon Frame. (not sure if it is a shimano bike or not?)

I have tried googling but can't find out much about either, thanks for any help.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You won't find anything really as neither are 'brands' as such as afr as I'm aware. They are generic BSO's (bike shaped objects), the Reebok anyway.
    Shimano don't make bikes, just components, but often generic bikes have big Shimano stickers on them.
    Sounds a bit weird if it really is a carbon frame - maybe post a link so we can see.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • are these ebay ads by any chance?

I'd hazard a guess that there is no such thing as a "Reebok Specialized" as the company "specialized" (who make, on the whole, quality bikes) wouldn't be best pleased with reebok trying to use their name to sell bikes.

"Zoom" forks are very bottom rung, can't really be called suspension, as it's like having a completely undampened pogo-stick strapped to your wheel. It'll do nothing but add weight and fall apart.

What sort of budget are you looking at? Without wanting to cause offence, from the bikes above, it looks like you're not looking to spend very much, maybe couple of hundred tops? If so I'd avoid anything that says "front and rear suspension" or "carbon". In fact, I'd probably avoid suspension altogether at that price.
  • Neither I'm afraid, they're both shocking, sorry.

What's your budget?
    ::'11 Pitch Pro::
  • oh my lord..........that shimano "thing"...........*shudders*
  • Thanks so much for the replies... I did warn you I was clueless :)

Only looking at around £150, not much I know! Which is why I was hoping I might find something on ebay that was suitable, I know it won't be great but would rather it wasn't awful or falls apart or followed by sounds of laughter.

Will try to convince partner to avoid the "shimano thing" lol
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I've seen a few BSO's with a carbon look wrap on the rear arms - double yuck!

Both have none original stickers by the looks of it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • It IS possible to pick up a decent quality, if not fairly basic bike for your budget, check out "the communter" in my sig (below). This was picked up for under £200 in its current form.

something like This may be suitable. I was looking at this very one myself until I got the rockhopper. From the ad, and from speaking to the current owner, it sounds like a fairly solid bike that's been reasonably well looked after. I quite like the looks too if I'm honest (needs some preoper tyres though ).

It's certainly an improvement on those 2 other abominations on ebay ;)
  • That cinder is nice! Worth a punt!
  • Thanks for the link I would go for that on your advice but concerned about the shipping cost?

I did look at the website though and this is close to home would you mind having a look? Specialized Hardrock Sport 2005 (you said specialized are good quality, so thought it might be okay) http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1178594/
  • fcr1980 wrote:
    Thanks for the link I would go for that on your advice but concerned about the shipping cost?

I did look at the website though and this is close to home would you mind having a look? Specialized Hardrock Sport 2005 (you said specialized are good quality, so thought it might be okay) http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1178594/

Awful!

how tall is he?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It's heavy, but for £100 is a good bike.
  • cooldad
    If it's just for commuting to university, where it will probably get stolen anyway, you could do worse than something like this if you have a Decathlon anywhere nearby.
    Cheap, basic, fairly heavy (or good for getting fit), new so with a warranty.
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-50 ... 02062.html
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • He's 5"9 but quite stocky, why was the hardrock awful? thought i had a good one there after reading some internet reviews, i'm hopeless lol, he's going to end up with a jumper!
  • cooldad
    fcr1980 wrote:
    He's 5"9 but quite stocky, why was the hardrock awful? thought i had a good one there after reading some internet reviews, i'm hopeless lol, he's going to end up with a jumper!
    It's OK for £100 (or less) but looks tiny.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Shipping on the cindercone will be approx £20.

You could get him to do it for £150 posted easily
  • cooldad
    And with the Cindercone you'll always pretty much get your money back if you sell it. Classic.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    Is there a place that does recycled bikes near you? You will get one cheap that will, hopefully, have been properly serviced. There is really no point getting anything nice n new for riding to uni. You would need to make sure nothing can be taken off it ie wheels, seatpost etc. My son has had his cheapo Diamondback vandalised and and had components stolen off it.

Ideally you need a stealth bike... one that looks crap, but runs well, which is why I was asking if there's a recycled bike place near you. A mechanically sound bike shouldn't set you back more than £50 - £60.

But that Rockrider at £99 would be my choice if going for a new bike. That Cindercone looks really nice... possibly too nice to be left outside in the uni bike park. You'd need to budget £40 for a half decent lock as well and swap any quick release fittings (wheels, seat post) for ones that need tools to be removed.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My Daughter had 3 attempted thefts on a nice bike at Uni (Aberystwyth as well which is a low crime area) so now has her beater commuter we've deliberately left looking a little 'sorry'.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.