Light Mounting for a Giro Feature

prawny
prawny Posts: 5,440
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
I suppose this is half buying half bodging advice but does anyone else on here have a giro feature? Due to the lack of vents I'm struggling with all the normal options for torch attachment, the best bet i'm thinking would be something like an exposure helmet mount but I object to paying double the value of my light for a bit of plastic, that I'm not sure will help anyway.

Has anyone tried the 'charity band' option on one of these? I think it might angle the light too low.

All advice muchos appreciated :mrgreen:
Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017

Comments

• Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Get a strip of double-sided velcro tape - it's invaluable for a whole bunch of things, so don't worry about getting too much of it. Then . . .
    Method 1
    Lay your torch down and attach a long piece of velcro along one side of it with two (or more) short pieces of velcro wrapped around it. You should now have a torch with a long piece of velcro sticking off the front end and the back end. Feed one of these through the front centreline vent and one through the back one, and stick them together. Your torch is now fixed to your hat - pad it with bits of foam or rubber to get it pointing up or down at the right angle
    Method two
    Before attaching anything to the torch, wrap the velcro through the two centreline vents as described above, with the two shorter pieces tucked under it. Once it's secure on the hat, attach the torch with the two shorter pieces of velcro. Again, pad it with bits of foam or rubber to get it pointing up or down at the right angle

Don't forget to get the internal fittings of the helmet out of the way so that the velcro doesn't pull them out of place!
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • prawny
    Ahhhh, like it. How wide should I be going? they seem to have 16 or 25mm. Would 16mm be sturdy enough? I reckon that would fit through the strap hole on my new fake Muvi cam too y'see.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    A Hope Vision 1/2 bracket works well. The strap goes through the two vents that are closest together at the top and although it seems a fair way back the bracket is high enough to prevent any shadows and the foam pad stops it from moving.

Hope would probably send you one for a few quid
  • Giraffoto
    prawny wrote:
    Ahhhh, like it. How wide should I be going? they seem to have 16 or 25mm. Would 16mm be sturdy enough? I reckon that would fit through the strap hole on my new fake Muvi cam too y'see.

I'm pretty sure I have the 25mm version, but I've cut it lengthwise to make thinner straps (it doesn't fray). It's fantastic stuff, and even beats cable ties and duck tape for some applications
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • prawny
    Giraffoto wrote:
    prawny wrote:

I'm pretty sure I have the 25mm version, but I've cut it lengthwise to make thinner straps (it doesn't fray). It's fantastic stuff, and even beats cable ties and duck tape for some applications

How dare you! Wash your mouth out! :lol:
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    I use a giro Feature..

I use the Magicshine helmet mount.. fits secure no problems....
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Giraffoto
    prawny wrote:
    Giraffoto wrote:
    prawny wrote:

How dare you! Wash your mouth out! :lol:

Think of it as part of the holy trinity of hillbilly repairs
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • prawny
    Rushmore wrote:
    I use a giro Feature..

I use the Magicshine helmet mount.. fits secure no problems....

Hmmm, with a magicshine ot a torch? I've lost the battery pack for my magicshine and haven't got the £12 for a spare, Thinking about it I'm not sure where the mount is either. I might tear the house apart this weekend.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017