How to wear lycra

dhobiwallah
dhobiwallah Posts: 272
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
As a dyed-in-the-wool MTBer I am giving the dark side a bit of a go. Now I'm not going to shave my legs for anybody, but I accept I am probably going to have to lose the baggy shorts....

I'm aware my current padded efforts are either liners (perforated - def not outerwear) or cheap lycra (pads not so much of an issue in MTB as if you are sat down for more than 20% of the time on the bike it was probably a pants route anyway).

It took me a while to find out that you don't wear underwear beneath cycling shorts (why does no-one tell you these things), but whilst wearing my lycra you can, how to phrase this :? , tell what religion I am :oops: )

Having never been one to stare at another man's crotch (esp while wearing lycra) is this what you guys are wearing to go out :shock: Or is it just the cheapness of my shorts showing through (and am I showing through my shorts)? Are more expensive shorts a bit, thicker???

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I've used all sorts of shorts; always go commando (or you may as well not bother with them), never had an issue with too much detail on display, even cheapo ones. You'd be surprised how few people do actually look at bicyclists' genitalia, and if they do, so what? Either the viewer already has one or has the wherewithal to get one.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Get some more expensive shorts. Or just newer shorts -> because they can wear out.

I like the DHB stuff from wiggle. The DHB aeron pro bibs and the Endura FS 260 Pro bibs are my current choices.

Don't rule out shaving though.. It really annoys me when hair pokes through my lycra -> especially a problem with my Lycra leg warmers.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    Dark coloured shorts are a must (I'm sure someone will post a photo of the Russian national team in red and white soon) but other than that I haven't worried about it much.

If you're finding it difficult to get used to then I'd try some Giordana Lazer bibs. They're not particularly expensive, very durable and thicker than most.
  • markps
    markps Posts: 41
    I'm sure a lot of people on here have come from an MTB background and probably went through the same thought process as you (I know I did!). You're doing the right thing by ditching the MTB shorts. You probably have got liner shorts as you definitely shouldn't be able to see through the material, not to the degree you're impling anyway....

I'll second the above recommendation for DHB stuff, I just got some DHB vaeon roubaix shorts from wiggle, they're designed for cold weather and are thicker as a result. No way are they see-through. Not that expensive either.
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    edited October 2012
    <drum roll>

I wonder if this is the aforesaid picture of Russian National team ?

why-bike-shorts-should-be-black.jpg

Two thougths come to mind ....

Shorts with proper padding (depending on how far up front it comes which seems to vary between makes) can provide a more discrete and rounded effect and ...don't under any circumstances buy red shorts (well at not least without the aformentioned comprehensive padding) unless you are a complete exhibitionist that is ....

Black is most common for a reason ....

Regards

Alan
    Regards
    Alan
  • markps
    markps Posts: 41
    Aaargh my eyes!

polish team - POLSKA on the shorts.

also:

Rule #14 // Shorts should be black.
  • my castelli aero bib shorts, the pad comes somewhat at the front which i queried on here. still a bulge on show, but it seems to cover any greater detail than that.
  • Op, just stick to gore mtb shorts. Comfortable, retain dignity, job jobbed.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Op, just stick to gore mtb shorts. Comfortable, retain dignity, job jobbed.

But then you look like a tit in baggies on a road bike.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    If you can tell what religion you are from your cycling shorts they are either too small or too thin.

Decent quality bib shorts/tights are designed to be worn commando and as long as you get a decent fitting and quality made pair there are no issues.

Also if you want a bit of colour that is not a problem as long as the 'key' areas are black.

Our club kit is red/white/yellow, but the imprtant bits on the shorts/ leggings is still black.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    smidsy wrote:
    If you can tell what religion you are from your cycling shorts they are either too small or too thin.

Decent quality bib shorts/tights are designed to be worn commando and as long as you get a decent fitting and quality made pair there are no issues.

Also if you want a bit of colour that is not a problem as long as the 'key' areas are black.

Our club kit is red/white/yellow, but the imprtant bits on the shorts/ leggings is still black.

+1 a decent pad should spare your modesty a bit.

+1 on the black, I have some very tarty bianchi polka dot shorts, but they are black in the key region. in fact the brightness of the polka dots blinds people anyway.

Very scary photo but shows a lack of togetherness: 2 dress to the left, 2 to the right and one appears to have little to dress anywhere. I bet they had a shocking team time trial.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    :lol::lol::lol:

I stand corrected. The Polish team is was. Drat, now I might remember that for myself next time this comes up... :mrgreen:
  • jay197
    jay197 Posts: 196
    These are what you need Mr Wallah saahib :)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/craft-cool-bike-boxer/

They should cover your modesty, and can be worn under bibs, cycle shorts etc.

There is a huge variety of "thickness" in cycle shorts, so try to read the reviews etc for clues or buy from a retailer that you can return them if too thin ot thick for you etc, this time of year the thicker the better really.

Don't forget to always "pre-wash" new lycra to prevent colour running etc, but being a "dhobi wallah" that shouldn't be a problem for you :P
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    jay197 wrote:
    These are what you need Mr Wallah saahib :)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/craft-cool-bike-boxer/

They should cover your modesty, and can be worn under bibs, cycle shorts

Ugh .....

Have you seen the seams on them < shudder> dread to think what shape your under carriage will be in once you get home.

Red raw me thinks ....

Regards

Alan
    Regards
    Alan
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    Thickness of the shorts is an important factor - I've seen cheap ones that are almost transparent when new!

Watch out when better quality shorts start to wear thin, for the same reason, and remember to check the back of the shorts too, unless you particularly like having your bum on show!