Which Frame??

nickyg1987
nickyg1987 Posts: 18
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi, I'm currently looking at buy a frame and building my own bike. I do most xc and trails etc. So i dont know to go for a full suspension or just a good hard tail. I was looking at On One 456 carbon frame whish seems really good and good reviews. I would like a bit of input from people who know about frams and would be able to advice in which drection to go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nicky

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I like the C456... TBH I just replaced mine as it never really shone in any department, and I'm pretty picky, but it was a very solid allrounder, well priced, tough, good ride feel... Good frame all round. I don't totally like the geometry, it feels kinda long and lazy, but that's a valid approach.

So it's certainly a good option. But what do you want to do with it?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I do XC racing, trails etc some free ride. Was looking at the Canyon CF 9.0 but I feel I could build a better bike cheaper?? Maybe I am wrong in saying that?? I honestly dont know what frame I could go for so im looking someone to point me in the right direction.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    ...and what's your total build budget? Or how much do you have to spend on the frame?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    The Grand Canyon CF, I guess? Or the Nerve CF?

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    Either way - there's no way you could build like-for-like for close to the price of the complete bikes.

Trek Session 8
  • Yeah sorry the Nerve CF was the one.
  • I had my heart set on buying the Canyon Nerve CF and then thought I could maybe build a better bike cheaper. I just honestly do't know what I want...
  • Northwind
    If you're buying new, then it'll be very hard if not impossible to beat the value of a Canyon, they're crazy value. But, if you're buying used then maybe you can. Also you can tailor it more for what you want. But you need to know exactly what you want, and you need to put the work in. Not always an option.

There isn't a bike in the world that's good at xc racing and freeride though! So sticking with that... What's your idea of freeride?

My C456 frinstance was built tough and light, and I did some XC races on it but also was happy riding downhill on it (never raced it though), with just a tyre swap. But it'll always be a compromise. But then I don't need an XC race scalpel as I'd still not be that fast anyway!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Free ride as I call it, is just making ur way up a mountain and then finding your way back down with no trails being purposely made. I really like the Canyon Nerve CF and now am thinking will I just go and order it now that I have been give this advice??
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You'll build a bike cheaper if you
    1/ Buy a frame and use the best bits from your current bike
    or
    2/ Buy some parts as nearly new but used
    or
    3/ Buy a shonky bike with good bits on dirt cheap in a sale and use as a single donor, not everything will fit but enough will....

Buy everything new and your unlikely to do it cheaper!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • felix.london
    nickyg1987 wrote:
    Free ride as I call it, is just making ur way up a mountain and then finding your way back down with no trails being purposely made. I really like the Canyon Nerve CF and now am thinking will I just go and order it now that I have been give this advice??

Yep - got me too at the beginning as I come from Snowboarding where freeride is just that, off-piste, backcountry riding - the best way down a mountain!

In mountain biking it has completely different meaning; sort of dirt jumping but downhill style - big-ass air 'n' sh1t. And basically the bikes used are pretty much DH bikes with single-crown forks i.e big ol' springs back and front

Trek Session 8
  • Northwind
    OK, that helps- not freeride! But that much more elusive thing these days, it's just "mountain biking" ;)

I've not ridden the Canyon, but on paper it does look very much xc race/"mountain biking". I doubt it'd be to my taste personally but it looks like it might work for you.

Patience though, don't just jump in!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Cheers guys. There is just far too much to chose from. I'm in two minds about what to do now...
  • Northwind
    Do what everyone else does- buy one because it's pretty, then delude yourself that it's the best bike in the world and way better than all those other bikes you've ever ridden ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Can't go wrong with a c456, mine feels great, very light, very capable, and it could do anything I reckon, will be using mine with a tyre swap for DH over the winter.