Mazzocchi caught for doping...

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited October 2012 in Pro race
...in a Granfondo

You will be asking yourself "who's Mazzocchi?" and it was the same question that most of italian people asked themself when in the summer of 2011 he won the Maratona dles Dolomites.
Nothing wrong with winning a big Granfondo event but the strange thing is that the previous year he arrived at something like 50 minutes from the winner and not any other result to compare with.
Well, yesterday he was sanctioned by italian Olympic commitee to a 2 years ban for being caught for Epo at a small Granfondo near Belluno this summer.

SorrentiMazzocchi_Arrivo02.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-YirFzrVGZNY/U ... rivo02.jpg
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    2nd winner in 3 years caught.

Pathetic. That said, there is money in it, so it's not surprising
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • FFS
  • FFS

+1
    Is this akin to doping to "win" a sportive?
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    FFS

+1
    Is this akin to doping to "win" a sportive?

Think sportives are run slightly differently over in Europe. Think they are more like races with prize money for the top finishers.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,454
    Riders like Jamie Burrow and Raimondo Rumsas are paid to ride GFs, i.e. essentially are still full time pros. Given the prize money available and the attitude to doping in Italy, it is surely no surprise that riders dope to do well.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    andyp wrote:
    Riders like Jamie Burrow and Raimondo Rumsas are paid to ride GFs, i.e. essentially are still full time pros. Given the prize money available and the attitude to doping in Italy, it is surely no surprise that riders dope to do well.
    It goes way beyond that level, though. A few years ago, there was some over-50s rider busted for EPO use on a granfondo
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • LangerDan wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    It goes way beyond that level, though. A few years ago, there was some over-50s rider busted for EPO use on a granfondo

This year too - Masters rider called David Antony tested postive for EPO at the Gran Fondo New York (to the embarassment of nyvelocity.com as he was associated to them in some way)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,180
    So are they testing these riders harder than the pros or is it just that they lack the technical support to cover up the EPO usage?
  • Lightning
    Lightning Posts: 360
    Those shorts :roll:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Pross wrote:
    So are they testing these riders harder than the pros or is it just that they lack the technical support to cover up the EPO usage?

Yup. Presumably the tests are less good too so they take more risks.

I got the impression from the Hamilton book that the EPO tests forced everyone towards blood transfusions instead.
  • Nick Fitt
    Nick Fitt Posts: 381
    Lightning wrote:
    Those shorts :roll:
    The whole outfit is shocking :shock:
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I got the impression from the Hamilton book that the EPO tests forced everyone towards blood transfusions instead.

It's combined. If you take the EPO I/V the risks of being nabbed are low.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Trev The Rev
    Trev The Rev Posts: 1,040
    Pross wrote:

What do you think the pro teams have doctors for. Their job is to make sure they don't fail the drug tests.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    iainf72 wrote:

It's combined. If you take the EPO I/V the risks of being nabbed are low.

Fair enough, I bow to your cutting edge knowledge...

*ahem*
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    I don't get it, why would you take EPO in such a way that you were still glowing at the event? Just use it during training blocks, don't get caught, don't look like a prat.

It takes what, 8 days to leave the system if you do it into fat, 24 hrs intra venously

As far as I'm aware, he's not going to get testers turning up at home, just at events. Surely doping as an amateur should be fairly easy.

Does Ricco ride any Granfondos? Or are they all UCI accredited.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Jez mon wrote:
    I don't get it, why would you take EPO in such a way that you were still glowing at the event? Just use it during training blocks, don't get caught, don't look like a prat.

It takes what, 8 days to leave the system if you do it into fat, 24 hrs intra venously

As far as I'm aware, he's not going to get testers turning up at home, just at events. Surely doping as an amateur should be fairly easy.

Does Ricco ride any Granfondos? Or are they all UCI accredited.

He's certainly been trying...
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/11722 ... Fondo.aspx
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    It does seem odd, I suppose he's either very stupid, of he thought he'd gone IV but missed the vein. Maybe he just thought they wouldn't bother with an EPO test. It must be expensive to test for all possibilities, and I assume they test only for certain things at different times.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Interesting. I was in that 2011 Maratona and a number of riders in the top 10 actually tested positive but not Mazzocchi.he must have let his guard down for that smaller gran fondo.....