First ever KOM segment

adskis
adskis Posts: 85
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
Got my first ever KOM on Strava last night.

I just got a new "smart" phone and it has that GPS thingy in it.
I am now a Strava-ite. Oh Dear!

http://app.strava.com/segments/1594244

Comments

• I don't use Strava (too fat!) but am I right in thinking that particular segment is downhill and there is a leaderboard of who goes down the hill the fastest? If that's the case then I might get my 18st on Strava and see if I can take some titles... I'm also pretty good on a sledge.
    '12 CAAD 8 Tiagra
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I don't use Strava (too fat!) but am I right in thinking that particular segment is downhill and there is a leaderboard of who goes down the hill the fastest? If that's the case then I might get my 18st on Strava and see if I can take some titles... I'm also pretty good on a sledge.
    Indeed. You're probably not the first person to spot that not all segments are mountains. Balham Hill is the exception - this is worse than every other mountain combined.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • adskis
    Thanks for pointing that out.
    I guess 50 ft over 1.2 miles is technically "downhill", but it felt pretty flat to me.
    I guess a 1 in about 130 decline is an advantage for my 18st frame.
    You are right. I take it all back.
    I will delete my account immediately.
  • dhope
    Adskis wrote:
    I guess 50 ft over 1.2 miles is technically "downhill", but it felt pretty flat to me.
    Just get the KOM back the other way with a faster average. Boom.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I know that segment! I am a lowly 78th in it. As Adskis says it is pretty flat and pretty windy (there has been a very good westerly wind in the area for a few days). In any case it is a pretty good effort considering Mr McGaw is there and he is pretty damn fast :)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • adskis
    Dhope, quick question: can you do that? Can you run a segment in either direction?
  • gabriel959
    dhope wrote:
    Adskis wrote:
    Just get the KOM back the other way with a faster average. Boom.

Technically impossible because there is almost always a headwind in the other direction.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • gabriel959
    Adskis wrote:
    Dhope, quick question: can you do that? Can you run a segment in either direction?

Just do it the other way and if there isn't one create one.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • Adskis wrote:
    I wasn't being a d!ck, I think I just misunderstood what Strava was all about; I thought it was all to do with fastest speed up hills rather than other types of terrain. Maybe I'll give it a go!
    '12 CAAD 8 Tiagra
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Adskis wrote:
    I wasn't being a d!ck, I think I just misunderstood what Strava was all about; I thought it was all to do with fastest speed up hills rather than other types of terrain. Maybe I'll give it a go!

I am 18+ stone and hold KOMs, and not too shabby pacewise (on the commute at least). Maybe you should just have a go, you can't be slower than DDD?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • adskis
    Adskis wrote:

Hey Camper,
    I know it is hard to convey in written form, but my tongue was firmly planted in cheek during my reply.
    Its all good. :D
    You should give it a go. Seems like fun. (Says me, with two and a half days experience)
    I think that they called it "King-of-the-Mountain" because it sounds better than
    "King-of-the-little-bit-of-road-I-just-rode-along"
    Maybe us ... ahem... gentlemen of larger frames :oops: ... should start our own movement tracking GPS platform and call it 'starve-a'.
    Do you think it'll catch on?
  • dhope
    Adskis wrote:
    Hey Camper,
    I know it is hard to convey in written form, but my tongue was firmly planted in cheek during my reply.
    Its all good. :D
    You should give it a go. Seems like fun. (Says me, with two and a half days experience)
    I think that they called it "King-of-the-Mountain" because it sounds better than
    "King-of-the-little-bit-of-road-I-just-rode-along"
    Maybe us ... ahem... gentlemen of larger frames :oops: ... should start our own movement tracking GPS platform and call it 'starve-a'.
    Do you think it'll catch on?
    Chubby Chasers?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • King of the (man) mountain(s)
    '12 CAAD 8 Tiagra