Good lube for chain?

Bwgan
Bwgan Posts: 389
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I bought some dry lube from Halfords recently and it's been fine, apart from one thing that is bugging me. You can't put it on a wet chain, so after washing my bike I let it dry - which with life (kids, wife, dog, work) is a day or two later. The chain is showing the orangey colour of rust. Never had this before, anyone know of a better lube?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    After washing use a water repellant like wd40/GT85 etc, it will remove water and go some way to protecting the chain until you can then apply your dry lube.

Or just use a wet lube!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Dry lube only really works when its dry. This time of year its wet lube territory. I'd recommend Finish Line XC. Been using it for years, its great.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Squirt, all year, much easier.
    But you shouldn't be putting any lube on a wet chain, really.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Just dry your chain with a rag by spinning pedals and..well drying it. As CD says all lubes should go on a dry chain anyway and use a wax lube like Squirt or Finish Line Ceramic Wax then you only have to re-lube it once in a blue moon
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • cooldad
    Wet lube is generally horrible claggy sticky stuff. I prefer wax lube applied regularly.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Finish Line Wet Lube for me. When its horrendous conditions it stays on the chain unlike others. Yes it does attract muck but if the bikes dirty i clean it and start again.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • cooldad
    Point is you don't need it to stay on the chain, that just attracts gunk, you need it to be inside the rollers.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    cooldad wrote:
    Point is you don't need it to stay on the chain, that just attracts gunk, you need it to be inside the rollers.

Indeed - which is the beauty of the wax based lubes. Lube goes in, excess flakes off.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    i was recently out on a ride and came across 3 guys,all on spesh FS and they had these wee oil containers tie strapped to their seatpost and it ran a thin tube right the way down to the bottom jockey wheel,they all swore by it as they said they never had to clean their chain,anyone else run one of these things??
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • cooldad
    Scottoilers I think. Never bothered to try though. I never actually 'clean' my chain. Just give it a wipe and stick new Squirt on now and again. Current chain is a few years old so works for me.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Squirt FTW, excellent stuff.

Finish Line XC is awful, just attracts all the crap and turns everything into a grinding paste. If you must use a wet lube then White Lightning Wet Ride is better.

Don't see the point in Scott Oilers, solves a non existent problem IMO!
    so after washing my bike I let it dry - which with life (kids, wife, dog, work) is a day or two later

Get a rag, and dry your chain (and the rest of your bike) after washing, then lube. Better than letting it dry (and rust) naturally.
  • cooldad
    njee20 wrote:
    Finish Line XC is awful, just attracts all the crap and turns everything into a grinding paste.
    This plus 1 billion muddy potatos.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools