Where to live for best cross country MTB

hammoire
hammoire Posts: 2
edited October 2012 in MTB general
Hi

I will be moving back to the UK in August after 2 years of living in Nepal. Nepal is amazing for riding cross country, downhill etc. Luckily my job pretty much allows me live anywhere in the UK.

Where in the UK should I move if I want trails on my doorstep. I like long cross country rides & don't mind a little technical stuff. I was thinking the lake district any other suggestions?

Thanks Will

Comments

• mainsy
    mainsy Posts: 57
    We're pretty spoilt up here in the scottish borders.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Wales or Scotland really....lake/peak districts in England.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • getprg
    getprg Posts: 245
    Swaledale
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Not going to say Scotland has the best riding, but we do have the best access laws. Whether or not legality bothers you is up to you though!

But... Scotland is big. There's amazing riding in the far north and the islands, I never do it though because it takes longer to get there than it does to get to London. Personally I reckon the central belt is well sorted- we've got cities, proper roads, and so as well as good riding locally we can get to other places pretty easily. But the same's true of lots of places.

TBH I reckon it's easier to avoid bad places than it is to select best places.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Isle of Man

LOADS of XC over here, and you can benefit from the low income tax and excellent standad of living :)

[/boast]
  • andy_welch
    andy_welch Posts: 1,101
    Another vote for Scotland. It's not just a matter of what trails there are, it's a matter of what trails you can ride and up here you can ride your bike pretty much anywhere that isn't somebody's garden. Plus there are miles and miles of wild areas to explore, much of which has trails built through it (for the hunting and shooting set). Scenery is more dramatic on the West side, but if you live/ride on the East side you can avoid the dreaded midge (and pop over to the West at the appropriate times of year).

Cheers,

Andy (and Englishman living in Aberdeenshire)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Most people are going to say where they live ;-). So will I... Sheffield. We have Wharncliffe on the doorstep, described by Peaty as some of the best trails in the world. Then all the Peaks.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just to be clear, using footpaths is NOT against the law, it may be a trespass and the landowner 'could' sue for damages, but that is all.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Anywhere that isn't the midlands/east anglia really.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Despite living in Wales I'd probably say that scotland will put you closer to more riding. However, you should consider that the past few years that scotland has born the brunt of some very harsh winter weather (wales tends to just be wet and cold at worst with perhaps the odd week of snow) - but I daresay if you've spent time in the high parts of nepal then the cold is unlikely to faze you :D

Lake district has epic amounts of big hills for XC riding too and is not too far from yorkshire.
  • Northwind
    Further to that though- riding in snow is fab! There was too much 2 winters ago but not enough last time.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • chazkayak
    chazkayak Posts: 193
    One word for against scotland................MIDGES!!!!!

I did my Mountain Leader Training up there and was plagued by midges, to the extent it put me off completely. I would only go back there for the kayaking.
  • Northwind
    You don't get them everywhere (tbh the midges in Kielder are worse than the midges in most of scotland)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I'll go with SuperSonic and say the Peak District.. although I reckon over here on the Dark side the riding's better. Great technical XC all over the Peak, bang in the middle of the country and within spitting distance of Dales, North Wales and the Lakes.
  • Scotish borders. More trails and stunning views than you can shake a hat at and stains trails are mostly around this area as an added bonus. Man made trails are bah, i prefer old walking trails hidden ones are best. LOADS of them around here :-)
  • defride
    defride Posts: 277
    Scotland and North Wales for bigger terrain and extended riding, lots of options though the midge is an issue for Scotland particularly West Coast. Lakes are great but there can be access issues given the National Park status and alot of the trails that look good on paper don't turn out to be very rideable. I'd add a heads up for North Downs around Dorking. Some of the best technical forest singletrack riding in the UK though you'd need someone to show you the best of it (no prob finding people to oblige). An added advantage of the south is easy access to the rest of Europe with the downside more people and higher living costs.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Most people are going to say where they live ;-). So will I

Me too! South East. Plenty of variety, not much rocky stuff admittedly, but hundreds of miles of great wooded singletrack.

But yes, as said above, anywhere that isn't the Midlands is a good shout, and really it's easier to avoid crap places than it is to choose 'the best'.
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    njee20 wrote:
    South East. Plenty of variety, not much rocky stuff admittedly, but hundreds of miles of great wooded singletrack.
    I'd second that, lots of XC racing and events as well (Gorrick, etc)

Think about the weather, (I found the lack of daylight in winter really depressing when I worked in Scotland), the cost of living, social life and bike clubs as well.
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Too many midges in Scotland and it's too cold. Northern England is full of northerners, the midlands are depressing Wales has constant rain, the east & south east are too flat.
    That just leaves the south west. Constant sunshine, great riding (Quantocks is as good as xc gets) and the best cider and music festivals in the world.
  • Alibran
    Alibran Posts: 370
    Too many midges in Scotland and it's too cold. Northern England is full of northerners, the midlands are depressing Wales has constant rain, the east & south east are too flat.
    That just leaves the south west. Constant sunshine, great riding (Quantocks is as good as xc gets) and the best cider and music festivals in the world.

You must live in the Quantocks, then? I've lived in both Devon and Cornwall and didn't notice the constant sunshine myself. Spain, however ....

Are you sure you don't want come and live down here, Will? Great trails AND constant sunshine to enjoy them in.
  • craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    midges? do what the marines do - avon skin so soft spray then just enjoy the trails :-)
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • North Wales is not too bad.

'There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes'
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Can I just pop into this thread to say you lucky, lucky git.

PS - Mid-South-West Wales. Specifically, Llanwrtyd Wells so you can catch the bog snorkelling when not dicking around on the hills.

Strava is not Zen.