Can I Rocky IV it?

cmacd85
cmacd85 Posts: 10
edited October 2012 in Tour & expedition
Hello,

I'm sure everyone is aware of the scene in the film Rocky IV where Rocky runs in snow, pulls logs and generally becomes a hard B@$t#£*d by training 'naturally'. Ok, well I'm planning on cycling from London to Paris raising money for Macmillan in July. Having a look at some of the stuff on the forum and what people have been telling me I'm going to have to buy a lot of equipment such as a turbo trainer, cycle jersey and computer......which is a little out of my budget. Fair enough, I cycle for commuting at the moment and use trainers with half/strapless toe clips and this might have to be upgraded to cycle shoes and clipless pedals but is any of the rest necessary? Will it be a big problem if I don't know the watts and cadence from my rides? Are there any essentials I should have/buy for such a trip?

Anyway, maybe I'm just being naive but it's a ride I'd really like to do and I plan on joining a cycle club to build up my miles and run to work on my cardiovascular. It's the first time I've done anything like this so any advice is appreciated and thanks in advance!

Comments

• random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    Your most important investment will be - a couple of pairs of good quality padded shorts and , if necessary, a service on your bike to make sure it won't break down.
    As for training, I don't know how much you ride now but you'll need to be able to ride at least 50 miles without a problem as you'll be doing four days' riding. You can do this by riding your bike more.

If you want to do it, you will. Good luck.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Ha! Great title (and film).

How quickly are you intending to ride to Paris? There are slightly different requirements to riding it in 24 hours than riding it over multiple days.

How far do you commute? Do you do it every day? What is the route like?

Commuting can give you a great base fitness. You can maybe mix it up a bit and, maybe a couple of nights a week, add an hour or two onto the commute.

You then have the weekend to get out there and ride further.

The ride is in July, so you are not having to aim for really early season fitness. It's is where a turbo can be very useful - ensuring that you get the miles in to hit the ground running in spring. But you need to peak in July, so I really wouldn't overly stress. Keep commuting, do some longer rides at the weekends, just keep on riding. Once the weather gets better and the days are longer, try doing back to back rides on a Saturday/Sunday.

Make sure you are comfy. Pay attention to any niggles and ask people how to adjust your position so you don't hurt there again.

The beauty of cycling is you can go and ride a huge distance on anything from a £6000 blingy carbon bike to something you've rescued from a skip. It isn't all about the bike, it's about the engine and it's ability to endure and keep on pedalling.
  • cmacd85
    cmacd85 Posts: 10
    marcusjb wrote:

How quickly are you intending to ride to Paris? There are slightly different requirements to riding it in 24 hours than riding it over multiple days.

Commuting can give you a great base fitness. You can maybe mix it up a bit and, maybe a couple of nights a week, add an hour or two onto the commute.

Cool, I cycle about 12 miles a day, and yes everyday (otherwise it's cheating!). Glad to hear I don't have to worry about the expensive equipment too much to!
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    60 miles a week commuting is a great base for fitness. Do that over winter with a few longer rides and you'll be more than fine to then really start building distances in spring.

The very best of luck to you!
  • marcusjb wrote:

The ride is in July, so you are not having to aim for really early season fitness. It's is where a turbo can be very useful - ensuring that you get the miles in to hit the ground running in spring. But you need to peak in July, so I really wouldn't overly stress. Keep commuting, do some longer rides at the weekends, just keep on riding. Once the weather gets better and the days are longer, try doing back to back rides on a Saturday/Sunday.

Make sure you are comfy. Pay attention to any niggles and ask people how to adjust your position so you don't hurt there again.

The beauty of cycling is you can go and ride a huge distance on anything from a £6000 blingy carbon bike to something you've rescued from a skip. It isn't all about the bike, it's about the engine and it's ability to endure and keep on pedalling.
    This is good advice.

I think most of us are too obsessed with kit. My father in law (aged 76) last year hopped on a bike for the first time in 25 years and rode a 77 mile sportive; no training, no lycra, no GPS, no electrolyte drinks, no gels.

Having the gear makes life a little more comfortable but it's by no means obligatory