Money / Mortgages / Investments / Pensions

2»

Comments

• Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    OH NO ! You havnt have you?

OECD - UK House Prices Need To Fall 40% !
    "For both the US and the euro area the indicator crossed the long-term average in 2003 and reached new peaks in 2005 (US) and 2006 (euro area), respectively, with levels 12% to 18% above the long-term average. However, the regional differences were significant, with price-income ratios topping the long-term average by more than 40% in UK, Spain, Ireland, Finland and the Netherlands."
  • Team4Luke
    Team4Luke Posts: 597
    has your new job offered you a pension if not they must now do so from this month, you can opt out if you wish.
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensionsand ... /DG_183783
    Team4Luke supports Cardiac Risk in the Young
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Lookyhere wrote:
    OH NO ! You havnt have you?
    If that was addressed at me, then - no. One of the various options that I declined.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Another reason for the poor rates of annuities is the Government's policy of Quantitative Easing (AKA Printing Money) in buying up Gilts they are destroying the market on which annuity rates are based.

There are three basic stages in ones view of pensions:

a) twenties and thirties, too far away to be interesting, do nothing.

b) forties and fifties, to late to rectify the damage caused by Stage A, panic.

c) sixties plus, now you find that it did not matter what you did in A & B you are shafted anyway!

Yes, you are right, I have reached Stage C.

BTW Annuity rates may be rubbish but have you seen savings rates?

My (Late) father-in-law, who was a Finance Director of a Listed Company, reckoned that this Pension lark was easy if you knew when you were going to die.

Take your money out of gilt based funds!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    daviesee wrote:
    Self contradictory.
    For a fund manager to have loads of experience and a good track record, you have to ponder why he hasn't accumulated enough to retire himself.

Not really.

If you get into fund management, retiring because you 'have enough' isn't really what it's about....
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    daviesee wrote:
    Self contradictory.
    For a fund manager to have loads of experience and a good track record, you have to ponder why he hasn't accumulated enough to retire himself.

Not really.

If you get into fund management, retiring because you 'have enough' isn't really what it's about....
    No?
    I will retire the day I have enough. Life is too short to be wasted working when unnecessary.
    Anyway it was only a slightly lighthearted comment to ponder on. I know greedy bar stewards in their 70s with plenty cash that won't give up work. Each to their own.
    By the way, what is it about? :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Good question. How much is enough?
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    I’m probably being really dull here but since forever I have invested the spare money I have in premium bonds and certainly over the past ten years reinvesting the winnings from the monthly draw has earnt more money than any savings account, as I said it’s not exciting but it’s worked for me!
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Another option is to invest in a tracker fund perhaps with someone like Vanguard
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    I had a 'meeting' with an IFA recently and contacted 2 others
    A) they were only interested in working with me if they could 'manage' my pension, they would not give advice for aone off fee
    B) the written projections/fees they have to supply by law showed the advisor and fund managers costs would be £46,000 over the next 6 years whilst showing hardly any fund growth.
    As Fat Ted says a SIPPS tracker fund is the way to go. If you have the knowledge/confidence to DIY by far the best way, Knowledge can be gained, confidence... well that's another matter :wink:
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    If you have the knowledge/confidence to DIY by far the best way, Knowledge can be gained, confidence... well that's another matter

Agree with all of that. Plus you have to be patient. The market can be impossible to read by mere mortals, last year I bought a stock just before it announced results. The results were very good but the share price dropped like a stone for no good reason. Because I thought the company was ok I hung on and didn't take the loss. Six months later the price came back up just like that.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Robert88 wrote:
    If you have the knowledge/confidence to DIY by far the best way, Knowledge can be gained, confidence... well that's another matter

Agree with all of that. Plus you have to be patient. The market can be impossible to read by mere mortals, last year I bought a stock just before it announced results. The results were very good but the share price dropped like a stone for no good reason. Because I thought the company was ok I hung on and didn't take the loss. Six months later the price came back up just like that.

A novice is far better off buying a fund. Buying individual shares he is competing against people with a lot more knowledge. Learning when to take a loss (or profit) and other skills will cost a lot of money and take decades.
  • robert88
    Robert88 wrote:

A novice is far better off buying a fund. Buying individual shares he/she* is competing against people with a lot more knowledge. Learning when to take a loss (or profit) and other skills will cost a lot of money and take decades.

The idea is to build a portfolio of shares small enough to manage. I do have investments in funds and I have equities(20%) and bonds. They have different levels of risk/reward. Any kind of financial product should only be bought after reading the small print very carefully, e.g. the word 'guaranteed' might be used in the key features document but its meaning might not be what you think.

A novice needs to read and learn - there's plenty of advice out there.

* the CEO of a huge outfit in which I have shares is actually.. .. a woman. Can you believe that?
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Robert88 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

A novice is far better off buying a fund. Buying individual shares he/she* is competing against people with a lot more knowledge. Learning when to take a loss (or profit) and other skills will cost a lot of money and take decades.

The idea is to build a portfolio of shares small enough to manage. I do have investments in funds and I have equities(20%) and bonds. They have different levels of risk/reward. Any kind of financial product should only be bought after reading the small print very carefully, e.g. the word 'guaranteed' might be used in the key features document but its meaning might not be what you think.

A novice needs to read and learn - there's plenty of advice out there.

* the CEO of a huge outfit in which I have shares is actually.. .. a woman. Can you believe that?

Don’t have time for the PC sh1te so thanks for correcting.

I thought we were talking about a novice rather than you. If they are picking individual stocks it will be akin to gambling and they are gambling against people with far more knowledge and skill. As previously said they will have no idea about taking losses or profits or get down into the weeds of analysing the company beyond headlines in newspapers.

I think you underestimate your level of skill, knowledge and experience and really shouldn’t be encouraging random novices to build up a small portfolio of shares. They should either be doing that Ona spreadsheet or using money they are happy to lose.
  • bikes`n`guns
    bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
    Stainless steel sports Rolex watches.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • robert88
    Generally speaking, the only strategy that always works is diversification of risks when it comes to investment deposits.

Check out the Pyramid of Risk

Watches are very popular as they are so easy to store and move. Just be careful where you walk wearing a Rolex. I don't own any watches btw.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Six year old thread resurrection out of the blue. Odd one that.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512

Have you been watching ITV covering the Tour by any chance?
  • robert88
    crispybug2 wrote:
    I’m probably being really dull here but since forever I have invested the spare money I have in premium bonds and certainly over the past ten years reinvesting the winnings from the monthly draw has earnt more money than any savings account, as I said it’s not exciting but it’s worked for me!

OK on your own but beware partners!

'See you in court' aunt tells nephew after $1.2-million Chase the Ace win
  • bikes`n`guns
    bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
    cougie wrote:

Have you been watching ITV covering the Tour by any chance?

Nah, Bought my first before their adverts came into being. They are crap now anyway. Terrible trade in values and are perpetuating the problem of supersonic price rises for no real reason.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently